Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Argh, I hate my new dye job--- please help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all! Ok, here's my deal: I have medium brown hair, but I've been lightening it slightly for about a year. However, I decided recently that it was time to go back to my old color, so I went to the salon and got something called a demi-permanent glaze(? not quite sure about the last word), and I ended up with dark, dark, DARK brown hair--- almost black! I look like Angelina Jolie when she went through that unfortunate goth phase, waaaah!!! DH says it looks fine, but I'm upset. Does anyone have any experience with this demi-permanent stuff?? If I just wash it a bunch with a stripping shampoo will it lighten up, or do I need to go back to the salon????

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
liz,

i honestly think it will wash out eventually... but if you are dying (no pun intended) to get the color glaze off, how about a chelating color safe shampoo, like joico's resolve? and honey has peroxide in it, so at the very least, i'd add honey to the mix in your shower. maybe a honey rinse would help.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
relax. it washes out. trust me.

there are even special shampoos you can buy at the beauty supply stores (i know Redken makes one) that are specifically for getting rid of semi and demi tints. it might be less damaging to your hair to get one of these than over-washing your hair. (your salon has this on hand as well but it will probably be cheaper doing it yourself.(

i'm sure you look much lovelier than you think regardless. and truly, it will fade.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
My sister tried the semi-permanent dye.. And unfortunately it didn't wash out, and it has been a few months.. Sad
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Demi glazes wash out over time. Seriously.

I had that done 2 years ago and hated it! Also, too dark for me. But my stylist wanted me to stop using permanent color because of thinning issues.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for all the advice and support, everyone! It seems so ridiculous to get worked up about my hair, but let's be honest, I'm high-maintence as all get-out anyways, and when my hair isn't working for me it pretty much feels like the end of the world, LOL! Hearing from everyone is definitely helping me to calm down, though. You guys are the best! Please keep the input coming--- I'll wash my hair for a few days with some strong shampoo and see what happens. If I get desperate enough to go back to the salon, do you guys think there's anything they can do about it, short of actually dyeing it lighter? (PS- Nice pun, Avalange Wink )

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
When you had your hair colored I am sure you told the hairdresser what you were trying to achieve as far as color. If you absolutely HATE the color, call the salon and tell them. Most salons will fix the color for you for no extra charge.

Several years ago I wanted my highlights covered. I wanted to go back to my medium brown hair color. Like you, it came out so dark it was almost black. I was embarrassed to leave the house. Bad Grin The next day my hairdresser applied something that took this semi-perm color out.

You paid and sounds like you are very unhappy. Have them fix it for you.

Good luck. A woman needs to be happy with her hair. Wink
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh dear, Lizzy! I HATE it when something happens with my hair/hair color - drives me even battier than I am already!

I'm sure it probably looks really pretty with your pale skin and blue eyes - you probably have a lovely Snow White thing going on! But, if you hate it, then I agree 100% with Winnie - go back to the salon and tell them to fix it.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Trust me it will fade. I've had that done several times over different shades of blonde and very light brown and it always only took at max a month for the colour to get much lighter. It was always round about the time I started really liking the new dark shade too. LOL

5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I got good results with a product called Colorfix available at Sally Beauty Supply. If you do try it make sure you deep condition very well afterwards. You can read some reviews on this product at folica.com. HTH
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think that in regard to how long it will take the glaze to fade it all depends upon the condition of your hair before it was glazed (like if it was really healthy I would think it would fade faster than if your hair were a bit damaged from previous processing b/c the hair is more apt to absorb the coloring).

Great suggestion, Winnie. Liz, for sure call your salon and tell them what happened. I would think that they should fix it for you at no charge. Is this a salon that you have been going to for awhile? If so, I would assume they would definitely not charge you.

I bet you still look lovely... changes to hair whether it is a cut or color or whatever is always a surprise at first. But I hear you. I've gone running to a salon to have my hair fixed when something has gone wrong (in my case, it was DIY coloring that went all wrong...Image Think... Arrow ImageShock Arrow ImageShock Arrow ImageShock Arrow Image ... it was one of those post break-up things where I desperately wanted a distraction and my inhibitions were compromised). If I would have just gone to the salon in the FIRST place, I would have saved myself a lot of time and money (it was after three attempts at fixing my hair myself that I finally went running... I'm so stubborn sometimes!). Arrow Image Smile

Best to you and good luck. Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Winnie. You should NOT have to wait to wash it out, or depend on using strong shampoos.

Sure, it WILL wash out. A few summers ago, in an attempt to tone down way too many red highlights caused by the sun, I put a toner in and made my hair much too dark. In my case, I had nobody but myself to blame. I called my stylist and she told me to wash my hair with something like Prell or with simple dishwashing liquid a few times. She also told me to use a conditioning mask when I was done, because of the harshness of the detergents. I did it and it worked.

But, there are more efficient, and kinder, gentler ways to deal with it. I guarantee you that if the same thing happened to me in a salon, I'd have THEM correct it. And, in my experience, they're happy to do it. Their reps depend on their regular customers being happy.
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I also absolutely agree with some of the others. Don't think twice - go back to the hairdresser and let her fix it. She should absolutely know what should be done and if she's a conscientious hairdresser, she'll be glad to make you happy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I agree. I think your hairdresser would appreciate the chance to fix her mistake, and if she knows where she went wrong, she can get it right next time.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the difference is between a glaze and a dye, but semi-perm dye does not wash out completely. If it's darker than your actual color, it deposited pigment that won't come out unless you use peroxide on it. Color can't break through color. It'll go lighter as you wash it, but it won't come out completely. The way my stylist explains it, she prefers semi-perm to perm as it doesn't leave a line of demaracation when it grows out.

Anyway, I'd go back to the salon if you're really unhappy. But she'll probably just want to put more dye into it. so, if that's not what you want, then don't go back!! Smile

Good luck, Liz, we've all been there!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Hi all! Ok, here's my deal: I have medium brown hair, but I've been lightening it slightly for about a year. However, I decided recently that it was time to go back to my old color, so I went to the salon and got something called a demi-permanent glaze(? not quite sure about the last word), and I ended up with dark, dark, DARK brown hair--- almost black! I look like Angelina Jolie when she went through that unfortunate goth phase, waaaah!!! DH says it looks fine, but I'm upset. Does anyone have any experience with this demi-permanent stuff?? If I just wash it a bunch with a stripping shampoo will it lighten up, or do I need to go back to the salon????

Liz! I just read Carekate's post the other day that if you got a dye job you don't like, you can wash your hair with dishsoap to get rid of the color. Maybe you can try that. Also baking soda seems to get rid of the color fast, too.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the advice and support, everyone! It seems so ridiculous to get worked up about my hair, but let's be honest, I'm high-maintence as all get-out anyways, and when my hair isn't working for me it pretty much feels like the end of the world, LOL! Hearing from everyone is definitely helping me to calm down, though. You guys are the best! Please keep the input coming--- I'll wash my hair for a few days with some strong shampoo and see what happens. If I get desperate enough to go back to the salon, do you guys think there's anything they can do about it, short of actually dyeing it lighter? (PS- Nice pun, Avalange Wink )

Liz, no need to apologize. Every woman knows what a bad hair day will do to you. Hair is SOOO important. Even my 6-year-old boy fusses with his "hairstyle" every morning and cries if he doesn't get it just right. Rolling Eyes
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Trust me it will wash out...I go every month and have one put on and I get so sad when it washes out! If you use a "claifying" shampoo it will strip it out faster (learned that the hard way). You are probably not used to seeing your hair so dark and its freaking you out...it probably looks just fine.

With all that being said...if you have been highlighting your hair for a long time it is "damaged" and stripped of color so it may grab onto the glaze a little more than in other "non-damaged" areas. The first time I went dark (which is close to my natural color) the lady put a jet black dye on my hair and added PURPLE to the dye to make it "richer". I looked like a freak. I went home and cried...my husband said I looked like Joan Jett. It did wash out....but next time ask for "warm" rather than "cool" color and you will get a richer brown than black.

Good luck...I'm sure you look great. Throw on some black liner and red lipstick and be Betty Page for a month or so...fun stuff!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
what is demi??
I'm going to the salon today... i have an appointment and i was thinking of going darker, like dark like the shade of cameron diaz hair now. At the moment im a light brown/dirty blonde color. I'm scared I wont like the dark color and then it would be so unhealthy for my hair to dye it dark and then dye it light again.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
what is demi??
I'm going to the salon today... i have an appointment and i was thinking of going darker, like dark like the shade of cameron diaz hair now. At the moment im a light brown/dirty blonde color. I'm scared I wont like the dark color and then it would be so unhealthy for my hair to dye it dark and then dye it light again.

Dark browns/blacks have the smallest molecules and therefore are the hardest to get out(they bind better). While anyone who has tried red (largest molecule size) in their hair knows that it washes out fast!

Demi-permanent color lasts approximately through 24 to 26 shampoos. "In this process, pre-color molecules penetrate the cuticle and enter the cortex where they then partner to create medium-sized color molecules. Their larger size means they take longer to wash out. These products do not contain ammonia so the natural pigment can't be lightened. However, it contains a small amount of peroxide, which allows for a subtle, but noticeable, color enhancement. It also blends and covers gray. (Both semi- and demi-permanent colors can become permanent on permed or already-colored hair!)"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hair-coloring3.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
You ladies are just a veritable font of information, aren't you? I'm feeling SLIGHTLY better today. Last night I washed my hair with some horrible Herbal Essences shampoo Ifound under the sink, and I think it did take a small bit of the color away. Now I look more like my old self and a little less like the Crow's girlfriend, lol. DH really likes my hair, so he asked me to try living with it for a couple days to see if it grows on me (or washes out anymore), and then if I'm still upset I'm going to go back to the salon. Thanks for all the support ladies--- your kind words calmed down my heart palpitations last night. I'll keep you guys updated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
... DH really likes my hair, so he asked me to try living with it for a couple days to see if it grows on me (or washes out anymore), and then if I'm still upset I'm going to go back to the salon. ...

Liz, if you are even remotely still contemplating having your sylist fix it, I'd call the salon ASAP and tell her/him that you're not happy with the olor, but want to give it a couple days to see if you get used to it and if you still don't like it, you want to come in and have it fixed. That way it won't become a timeliness issue - meaning your stylist won't wonder why you didn't call her/him immediately about the problem. Put her/him on notice about it now, then you'll feel better knowing that you won't have to explain away your delay in mentioning the issue later.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
... Image Think... Arrow ImageShock Arrow ImageShock Arrow ImageShock Arrow Image ...

That's about the funniest thing I've seen in a while! That exact thing happened to me, but it was a new stylist who did it, not me, and it was about 5 or 6 processes - all on the same day - that turned my hair from its normal blonde to various shades of Cyndi Lauper orange! It was hideous and damaging and I'm amazed it all didn't fall out! Thank God I've grown a whole new head of hair by now!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:
... DH really likes my hair, so he asked me to try living with it for a couple days to see if it grows on me (or washes out anymore), and then if I'm still upset I'm going to go back to the salon. ...

Liz, if you are even remotely still contemplating having your sylist fix it, I'd call the salon ASAP and tell her/him that you're not happy with the olor, but want to give it a couple days to see if you get used to it and if you still don't like it, you want to come in and have it fixed. That way it won't become a timeliness issue - meaning your stylist won't wonder why you didn't call her/him immediately about the problem. Put her/him on notice about it now, then you'll feel better knowing that you won't have to explain away your delay in mentioning the issue later.

Aye aye, captain MG! (Why is there no emoticon for a sharp salute????) Actually I just called my salon and my stylist isn't in today, so I'll call back tomorrow ASAP and let her know how I'm feeling and find out what my options are. It would be nice if there were SOMETHING that would slightly mitigate how dark my hair is without having to just bleach it all over again, ya know? Dyeing is such a treacherous, slippery slope, isn't it? DH gently reminded me that when I first lightened my hair around a year ago that I was a little freaked out for a few days but then I got used to it, so maybe that will happen again. Sigh...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I know what an awful feeling a bad colour job can do you!
I have have waist length hair, and the hairdresser gave me the perfect colour, a dark brown with gorgeous red highlights. The next time we tried it the hairdresser forgot to mark down the colour, and I came out with PINK and I mean PINK highlights, lol!!
Then about a year later we tried blonde highlights, worked really well, next time , it was WAYYY too bright.
This time, took out the blonde, now it is too dark for me!
Just wish we could replicate the original red highlights, lol!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |