Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
HELP: Need a career change. Do you have a job you love?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Poll :: Do you have a job you love?

YES!
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Most days
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Not really, but it pays the bills
33%
 33%  [ 12 ]
NO!
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 36

sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am completely torn between staying in my current job/industry or jumping off the deep end to try something very new. Confused I have a background education in biology and I've worked in labs and with computers (dealing with research data). I am so tired of it and desperately need a change! Problem is I don't know where to start or what else is out there for me.

In the past, I was a very shy and quiet girl so people thought I was well suited for research and lab work. Working in the lab means dealing more with 'things' and data rather than people. Now that I am older (in my 30's) I don't find it very satisfying. I am a different person and much more 'social' than before. Plus, I really don't want to be working in a lab (or maybe even the industry) for the rest of my life. I'm feeling very depressed about this. I always thought I knew what I wanted in my career and I went after it. Now I find myself lost at 32 years old and possibly starting over again in my career.

I want to find a career that makes me want to wake up in the morning and that I feel passionate about. I am looking for something that will inspire me again. I am willing to change industries and learn new things if it is a rewarding career path.

I would like to know what inspires people on this forum and those who...

1) love what they do (job/career) and why
2) how they got started
3) credentials/education needed

or anything else you would like to add.

I really appreciate this and thank you for reading my post.
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
sweet28 wrote:
I am completely torn between staying in my current job/industry or jumping off the deep end to try something very new. Confused I have a background education in biology and I've worked in labs and with computers (dealing with research data). I am so tired of it and desperately need a change! Problem is I don't know where to start or what else is out there for me.

In the past, I was a very shy and quiet girl so people thought I was well suited for research and lab work. Working in the lab means dealing more with 'things' and data rather than people. Now that I am older (in my 30's) I don't find it very satisfying. I am a different person and much more 'social' than before. Plus, I really don't want to be working in a lab (or maybe even the industry) for the rest of my life. I'm feeling very depressed about this. I always thought I knew what I wanted in my career and I went after it. Now I find myself lost at 32 years old and possibly starting over again in my career.

I want to find a career that makes me want to wake up in the morning and that I feel passionate about. I am looking for something that will inspire me again. I am willing to change industries and learn new things if it is a rewarding career path.

I would like to know what inspires people on this forum and those who...

1) love what they do (job/career) and why
2) how they got started
3) credentials/education needed

or anything else you would like to add.

I really appreciate this and thank you for reading my post.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you decided to listen to that little voice inside you. I think finding a career in something you love is the one of the ultimate goals for most people while here. That and finding the perfect mate for them. That being said, not many people realize that goal for several reasons. Which is sad because everyone should be so lucky.

I think you need to ask your-self what makes you the happiest and see if you can make a career out of it. I wish there was an outline I could give you; that if followed, will lead you to where you want to be.

I totally understand your depression and fear but 32 is still very very young.
If you have this calling in you; I think you should follow it.

This song always jump starts me...

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say"-P.F.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I'm definitely one to say follow your heart. I have had countless jobs in my life because my view was, that if I was not happy, life was too short to stay where I was. And I've never had a single regret - even when I took advantage of an opportunity that was too good to be true only to find out it was. It could be that you really did love your job at one point but now you've outgrown it. It's called growth, change and evolution. It was suitable at that point in your life but now that you are searching for something else, I say go for it. Better to risk and try then to look back at life 20 years from now thinking "what if". You may find something you really love or you may discover everything else sucks and you really love your lab work and go back to it - but at least you'll know! Take a leap and trust faith - you'll be glad you did. There are no mistakes, no regrets, just chances, risks and lessons.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't particularly love being a student but I definitely don't hate it. I love what I'm learning and I will love everything when it's over.
Somedays though, it is a real drag. LOL
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Beru: The words in the song you quoted are so beautiful! Thank you for your encouragement. I am going to do some self reflection to see what it is that makes me truly happy. I am very grateful for a wonderful S.O. who is very encouraging and just wants me to be happy.

Wildflower: Thanks for the great advice. I have worked in different labs and switched jobs, all along the same industry, and each time hoping it will get better. It doesn't and I feel discouraged. This is why I am thinking this industry isn't for me anymore. You are absolutely correct about growth, change and evolution as a contributor to my decision to find something new. I have to work on building my faith and taking the next leap to wherever it leads me.

Dalguy: I've been there and done that. Wink I recall the days of being a student and working to pay the tuition... not to mention the unhealthy KD (Kraft Dinners - Macaroni n' cheese) that held me over during exams. Best of luck in your studies.

I have been helping my single mother financially and it became the basis of my decisions to accept jobs. For the first time in my life last year, I was in the position to buy my mom her own place and it felt great! But, I can't go on working at a job because it seems more financially secure. I need to have a career where I can make money (I still have bills to pay and EDS shopping to do Laughing ) AND be happy with my work.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I ticked "pays the bills". Nuff said Sad .
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Take the jump to find what you love. I started in industry went back to school to get a PhD and now I teach and do research (which I LOVE). My sis who was a social worker (and psych. MS) went back to school for a PhD in health policy at age 42. She is now doing a prize post doc and looking for teaching jobs and is very happy.

Whatever your age you can do new things and find work that you love. You spend so much time at work you might as well like what you are doing.
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Take the jump to find what you love. I started in industry went back to school to get a PhD and now I teach and do research (which I LOVE). My sis who was a social worker (and psych. MS) went back to school for a PhD in health policy at age 42. She is now doing a prize post doc and looking for teaching jobs and is very happy.

Whatever your age you can do new things and find work that you love. You spend so much time at work you might as well like what you are doing.

Thanks, Sharky. You and your sister are very inspirational. I'm glad you are both doing what you love and I feel there is hope for me... Smile
NoNaMe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
I see (I thought) what you are thinking! I was being before. Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, may I say the different opinion?
The love is all around as same the air that you breathe. Surprised

I don’t know what you are doing but I have some question to ask you.
1. Do you have an opportunity in you career? any promotion? and/or increase earning?
2. Do you satisfy your earning? And or increase earning rate.?
3. How about your boss and or your colleagues? Do they friendly? Do they sincere with you?

I am 31 yards old. I changed 4-5 jobs before I was work here.
Every time when I started the new job, I have never felt that job can give any answer for me.
The latest, I am realized something to indicate my career.
The career was combined with 3 components.
First, earning satisfied, growth up you opportunity. And the last is colleague and boss.
Shall you sit and considering about them with yourself?
How much that you satisfied?
If you said, I am not satisfied more than 50% of them.
So, you should start to look for your new opportunity and new career.
During that time, you should cheer your up to do your presently job.

About discourage, no have inspiration to work, depressed about, and etc.
There can be happen with us many times but you can solve it by yourself.
Perhaps, you have to spend too much time to solve it.
Everybody face this problem as same as you but they have their own way to solve it.
Absolutely, me too.

Many time I was quite boring my job but I tried to look for the good thing in there. Mayby the good thing or appreciation thing is just only small and tiny.
But I can cheer you up. (May be just only temporary)

I hope you will find your own solution soon.

PS. sorry for my incrrect English. Embarassed
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi NoNaMe,

First of all welcome to the forum! wave

I thought about the questions you mentioned before and I usually come up with the same answers. I like my collegues and I respect my boss (very important, since the boss was super lazy in some of my previous jobs). I would like my salary to be more Laughing because I work many hours in the day. I am in research and have many tight deadlines so I work very hard to meet all the project timelines (MANY over-time hours I do not get paid for). I feel a huge sense of responsibility to get the job done but this also causes a great deal of stress at times. Sometimes I don't mind but I feel my life is only about work and I want to make a healthier change. I also want to have more opportunities and I feel I need to make this happen for myself. Right now, I am thinking about becoming a self-employed contractor to have more 'control' over what I want to do.

Thank you for your message. I am going to look at everything in a positive way and fully appreciate all that I have around me. I just need to try something new. Smile
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:14 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I've had quite a number of friends in a similar stage of wanting to change career direction and having changed.

I recently finished a beauty therapy diploma because I wanted a change of pace from sales/marketing. But now I know I don't want to work as a beauty therapist full time. Let's just say I'd be earning a third of what I'm earning now! The hours and pay are crap- I suspect it will take me a long time working part time as a beauty therapist to pay off the school fees alone. I won't be leaving my full time job at all at this stage.

When I first started the diploma I hadn;t realised that the role would be very unstimulating. There is very little demand made on the intellect waxing someone's bikini line. It's also quite repetitive and taxing on the body. I have developed a whole new respect for therapists because I now know that what they do on the job is physically exhausting.

Now when I look back I wish I had invested in a Masters of Business or Commerce instead! Laughing Since you don't need to be a beauty therapist to run a spa- though it probably wouldn't hurt.

I started working on weekends to see how spa owners run the business but I don't think I'm working for a good operator- the owner doesn't even have a computer system and uses paper files! How she keeps abreast of her clietns and marketing strategies is beyond me. Shock

No training, no operational protocol or manual, no communication. The salon manager has warned me to press for job contract and pay slip which the owner has not been diligent about (that's another thing I'm not used to politics in very confined places and I've only been there 2 days in total Laughing )

I'm glad I'm only there once a week, anymore would be torture! Laughing But still I can't say I regret investing in this diploma totally since I've always wanted to do the diploma. And now I know for certain that I'm just not suited to the industry! Very Happy So there won't be any, "what if..."
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I just realised that I didn't even finish my train of thought! Rolling Eyes I meant to finish by saying that I'm still looking for a job that I love and feel passionate about. I just hope it doesn't take too many trial and error! Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
How are you doing. Like others have said here you don't want to train for something you do not really wnat to do. BUT there are plenty of things that are fun. Before you make the leap find people doing what you think would be your dream job. See if you can shadow them, volunteer in the area (I once had a musician volunteer in my lab because he wanted to do environmental work if he didn't make it as a concert pianist) and read bios of people doing something you think is neat.

Sure going back to school or training for something new can be hard work and even boring at times (I have to say though I loved graduate school doing research and having a lot of others around doing similar things); it is also exciting and makes you feel younger. My sis was one of the older students in her program but she really got energized by it.

It's great you currently have a good work environment I'm sure that makes a change harder. If you actively look at other options it might make you like your own more or show you something you could really love.
NoNaMe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ….Sweet28,

Thank you for your welcome.

That is nice which you can get the answers for yourself. Cool

Anyhow, it looks like you and good colleague, good boss and quite nice working situation. Surprised
Perhaps, you so tried and haven’t your own time for shopping, chatting with your friend and/or etc. Confused

It is same as me also.
I work with shipyard for repair the vessel. Therefore, time is quite important.
Everything is urgently and very urgently. Exclamation
When I in charge to Ship repair manager, I have no time to deal with friend and boy friend also. Rolling Eyes Because the vessel needs the huge attention during 10 -15 days repair.
I work more than 12 hr/day, so on Saturday and Sunday also. Sad
When I in charge 2-3 vessels continuously, I will tried and feel like you at there time also. Wink
But I have to cheer up and keep it going on.
I have not to much time to waste for nothing until finish.
I know such a kind of this work have not women doing.
But I like it because it always drives me crazy.

Actually, I would like to do my own business. Think
But I do not know what I have to start.
I have no idea right now. That is my really problems. Think

Have a nice day, Sweet 28.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I hate my work and profession, and wish i had studied botany in school, with maybe some chemistry. I love flowers and fragrance, and am carekate's spiritual kin in that i love mixing up my own goops, although i have never really created anything significant from my occasional experimenting.

sweet28, here you are on a skin care forum -- have you thought about anything related to this? You have a better background than I do (math and computer science) for it. You might also contemplate an aesthetician's license...?
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your posts! I am VERY appreciative of all the encouraging words and good advice I received from this thread. I am happy to report an update and let you know I have since quit my job (on good terms) and I started teaching. I am so happy to be doing this and it is incredibly rewarding, relaxing and everything that makes me wake up in the morning to go to work. Very Happy Who knew? I would have never guessed in a million years I would be doing this but I took a chance and I wish I had done it sooner. Laughing Better late than never and I couldn't be happier with my new job. Wink I am thrilled to feel like I am on the 'right' path in my career.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
That was so fast!!!!

What are you teaching and where?

Congratulations!
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Took 3 years to get my degree, couldn't get a suitable job with it, spent another 3 years part-time to get my ACCA. So here I am as an accountant and hating it. If you are after the money, go for a degree that will get you your money, then when you have accumulated enough, switch to something you love. It's never too late. Unless of course, you have the luxury of starting out with something you love or the something you love ends up generating the money you want.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |