Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Why does MMU give me bumps? Please help....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I need all you makeup experts to solve this for me as I have concluded I can't use MMU.

First of all I have acne-prone skin that's a bit dehydrated and I'm EXTREMELY prone to congestion - those little bumps. I'm much better with EpidermxII now but everytime I use MMU (Alima) my face looks like it just exploded with tiny bumps. Now I think some were there in the beginning, just not really visible, but usually after a full day I look like crater face. However after I wash my face and it calms down most of the bumps are gone. History has it that even without makeup I will get some congestion during the day so I do tend to get SOME bumps that always flatten in the morning and then pop up again during the day - never knew why (this doesn't happen much anymore but it did in the past). But MMU makes my face REALLY REALLY bad - to the point that I went back to my regular makeup as I keep whether it's my face or the makeup. And in conclusion I HAVE NO PROBLEM of this with my regular makeup and regular concealer, I don't look like crater face at all and by the end of the day I didn't get any extra bumps that weren't there in the morning.

So WHY is this? Is it because MMU is too drying to whatever pollution/dirt in the air gets trapped? This phenomenon was even worse when I was in HK when I had on 16 hours of MMU each day in the polluted city. This also happens to me when I try to use Carekate's silk dust which does not have the same ingredients as MMU at all. I'm pretty sure this is NOT an allergic reaction because I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients as my regular powder foundation as ingredients that the MMU does as well. I also don't get this problem when I mix my MMU with my sunscreen to get it tinted. It only happens when I use MMU as a full face powder.

So can someone PLEASE enlighten me? I really want to keep using MMU but for now I'll have to go back to my regular makeup...
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi sormuimui,

It sounds to me like you are combining over-exfoliation with the application of fine micro-particles on your skin, which will aggravate your condition and cause lots of tiny eruptions... If you want to test this, try out wearing a gel underneath your MMU--something like seakelp bioferment, flax gel, aloe vera gel (but this can be sticky), or algae gel--or anything that contains these kinds of ingredients and forms a protective layer over the skin. Then see if your skin breaks out--if it is less aggravated, perhaps that is your problem. If not, then you must be allergic to either mica or zinc oxide or titanium dioxide!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
avalange, I've tried this with just my acne gel underneath (the BBS) which is aloe base and definitely forms a protective layer! But that just causes more dryness and yes I still get the bumps. Also my bumps actually lessened with my exfoliation now compared to before so I can't really say my skin is aggravated.

Not sure if it really is an allergic reaction because I have other items that have the same ingredients. Could it be that I wasn't allergic to them in other products because the content is not as high? But how come I can use it without problem when I mix it with my sunscreen or moisturizer?

Thanks for your opinion avalange =)
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
This happened to me when I was using Everyday Minerals MMU. I had a ton of congested pores, and bumps that would not go away, and would not really come to a "head". It was gross. And I kept wearing more of the MMU to cover it up and that made it worse! I switched to Alima, and that went away. So I think I'm allergic, or something to Mica. THat was the #1 ingredient in EM. I don't have these problems w/the Alima, my skin cleared up once I switched. Are these bumps you are talking about big, like a big painful pimple that is just red, on mostly the sides/cheek area?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
amylola: They're tiny bumps that I can extract. Not red or inflammated. Basically they're all over my face except for my forehead. I think this happened to me with both EDM and Alima but with EDM I didn't use it long enough to really take notice of this problem. I just started really noticing a big problem when I was using Alima in HK because I don't wear makeup for long periods of time in Canada but when I came back I finally became more aware of the problem and actually realized that I can't really use MMU without this happening. It's even worse if I use silk dust in conjunction to MMU. Actually I think the silk dust gives me worse bumps than Alima as I noticed that pretty soon after using it but continued anyways.

The bumps sort of go away after a while, but some didn't and went to become small pimples afterwards.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui,

I don't have an answer as to why this happens, and I know this won't make you feel any better, but I am one who has had nothing but lousy luck with MMU. And I've tried LOTS of different brands. I've tried using a primer and not, switching cleansers...you name it.

Whenever I've put it on, I start with the usual complaints about emphasized pores, etc...then, after a couple of days, I always end up with bumpy skin and/or acne Crying or Very sad . I know that MMU is supposed to be much better, yada yada...but my skin obviously missed that day at Mineral Makeup School.

Whenever I go back to oilfree TM (Laura Mercier) with loose powder on top, the bumpiness/acne goes away. I'm not in LOVE with the LM, but it does not give me acne/blackheads/clogged pores.

I've finally given up on MMU. Instead I'm torturing myself trying to find a great oil free TM!

Marla

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
amylola: They're tiny bumps that I can extract. Not red or inflammated. Basically they're all over my face except for my forehead. I think this happened to me with both EDM and Alima but with EDM I didn't use it long enough to really take notice of this problem. I just started really noticing a big problem when I was using Alima in HK because I don't wear makeup for long periods of time in Canada but when I came back I finally became more aware of the problem and actually realized that I can't really use MMU without this happening. It's even worse if I use silk dust in conjunction to MMU. Actually I think the silk dust gives me worse bumps than Alima as I noticed that pretty soon after using it but continued anyways.

The bumps sort of go away after a while, but some didn't and went to become small pimples afterwards.

dear sormuimui,

sorry to be such a bother, but I think I wasn't clear about my message to you--I know that exfoliation can really work to physically remove the bumpy skin, but if you over-exfoliate, you are not only damaging your skin, but leaving it much more vulnerable to infection and irritation. so it may be getting rid of the bumps, but it also may well be causing them to recur as well... I used to have whiteheads and tiny textured bumps all over my cheeks, which would indeed be exacerbated if I wore foundation or blush at all--while I was using the Clinique system (I was very young, like 16), slathering alcohol all over my face and basically sloughing off my skin with a harsh natural washcloth because I thought I had to. When I switched to a nourishing regimen they went away for about 15 years until my recent reaction--which was due to too much retinol peeling. I try to remind myself that exfoliation is meant to slough off dead skin cells to reveal new skin; it's not recommended for sloughing off irritated new skin--that will just render your skin more vulnerable to breakouts in the end. HTH!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree w/ avalange, when I over exfoliate, my skin hates me, i break out in big red painful zits. If I am nice and kind to my skin it thanks me!
But back to the MMU - it sounds like it is just not for you, and I would think, like marla, that maybe you just need to try a TM, or other foundation type product. Some people just cannot use MMU. The bumps you describe are not like what I had, mine were really big and painful.
I would def. stop the MMU and see if it goes away.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks avalange, that makes sense. I have to ask though, if it was over-exfoliation would it be worsened through any foundation? Because I have not had this happen to me with my regular powder foundation, it only happens with MMU. With exfoliation I only use EpidermxII once a day and ISC Active in the PM. ISC Active doesn't do much for me though in terms of exfoliation and I don't even feel a tingle (I've had my bumps prior to my current routine). I've also had bumps when I only exfoliated once a week prior to finding EDS, that's why I'm confused.

Would also like to ask of you can elaborate on how it can cause bumps to recur - I know it would be more prone to bacteria infections but mine only gets worse during a specific time frame each month (which isn't very consistent though) but it's not like I get my bumps very randomly - that is why I always attributed to hormonal reasons.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Oh and if possible could you please elaborate on how you can tell whether you are over-exfoliating or not?

I've never had problems with red/irritated/flaky skin or suddenly breaking out after a scrub or mask and I certainly do not have sensitive skin. My skin barely got red when I first tried an AHA product which was the Juice Beauty Apple Peel full strength.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and to be honest I am a little resistant on the idea that I'm over-exfoliating. My bad bumpy skin came about out of the blue without me changing anything and I've had been battling it ever since. I've finally found something that works and suddenly I'm told I might be overdoing it so I might have to stop or do it less - so I hope you understand and I hope I don't come across as too opposing to your advice. Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Oh and if possible could you please elaborate on how you can tell whether you are over-exfoliating or not?

I've never had problems with red/irritated/flaky skin or suddenly breaking out after a scrub or mask and I certainly do not have sensitive skin. My skin barely got red when I first tried an AHA product which was the Juice Beauty Apple Peel full strength.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and to be honest I am a little resistant on the idea that I'm over-exfoliating. My bad bumpy skin came about out of the blue without me changing anything and I've had been battling it ever since. I've finally found something that works and suddenly I'm told I might be overdoing it so I might have to stop or do it less - so I hope you understand and I hope I don't come across as too opposing to your advice. Smile

hi sormuimui,

you were the one who told me that you exfoliate your bumps like crazy on the other thread! So I got afraid for you and just assumed you were doing so. But from hearing about your routine, it does NOT sound like you are overdoing it at all. Light daily exfoliation should be fine, esp at your age. Just don't take a washcloth to irritated bumps, and don't use exfoliating masks and acids more than a couple of days per week, and you should be fine. Maybe adding a retinoid to your routine would help? I'd definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist, since it does sound hormonal in your case.

As to all the recent bumpiness going on with you and others, I'm officially stumped! hmmm....

I'm going to think some more and I'll come back soon!

--avalange

sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Well I used to do more, which didn't really aggravate my skin but I just decided they were getting better so I did less. Also before I haven't found a good exfoliator that worked well for me and now that I have, I just stick with that. I mean right now I have them under control so my skin doens't go crazy, but it seriously looks very bad when I have MMU on. Also the bumps are probably worse now with the dehydration in the winter time.

Thanks so much for your input avalange, I really appreciate it.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |