Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I think I'm going to lose my MIND!!!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:40 am      Reply with quote
When it rains, it pours Sad I feel for you and am keeping you in my prayers. I know it doesn't help right now (I'm in a similarly tough life situation), one day you WILL be able to look back on this and feel proud of the strength and courage you had to make it thru, and all for the BETTER.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
"You wouldn't believe what qualifies as sexual harassment. Personally, I think alot of it is crap. It really does encourage a victim mentality..."

I know Katee, I know....Some of the things I've seen.....Even here, I recently had to deal with a woman co-worker telling me that the calendar the shop guys had was offensive to her, so I had to tell the boys to take it down. I had a look at the calendar and yes, they were girls in bikini's (with great bodies I might add - I hate them! Laughing ) but it didn't bother me one bit - and I'm the HR Manager! I guess you just don't know what's going to offend, and we do have a policy which I must abide, so....down they came. (The shop guys were great about it - nice, nice guys.)

Now, on the other hand, my co-worker has a giant calendar in her office featuring the 12 months of Johnny Depp (in full Jack Sparrow regalia), so what if that offends someone b/c they don't like pirates - Disney ones or otherwise?

Sometimes I hate my job!

Maria Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
My BF was in exactly the same boat-- he is very sick with a chronic digestive disease. He called into work two days in a row and they fired him (they did not know the nature of his illness so it had nothing to do with discrimination, it was the 'dependability' issue). He wasn't that upset; he'd only been there a year and didn't like it. But the way he saw it, this would give him an opportunity to get well, which is what he is doing. So, look at it that way-- take your time to feel well and not worry about the job.

You should be able to continue with insurance if you had it through work, like I think katee said, for a limited time.

Good luck!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Good grief this is making me angry!!! I never heard of this happening here..I used to be a stock broker..they bent over backwards on leave when I was going through fertility treatments & then the whole pregnancy thing...they told me to take the time I needed. We felt so valued we never abused & worked overtime if we had to. Another broker had a stroke & we just covered for him till he came back-3 months later...no one even touched his clients. Geez! Two days!!???? I'd be spitting fire!!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Good grief this is making me angry!!! I never heard of this happening here..I used to be a stock broker..they bent over backwards on leave when I was going through fertility treatments & then the whole pregnancy thing...they told me to take the time I needed. We felt so valued we never abused & worked overtime if we had to. Another broker had a stroke & we just covered for him till he came back-3 months later...no one even touched his clients. Geez! Two days!!???? I'd be spitting fire!!

My BF knew he could've done something about it (he has a pre-law degree), but he choose not to. He choose not stress about it (something that can make his disease worse and more painful). And perhaps if he'd told them about his illness they wouldn't have fired him. He didn't think it was worth it. I supported him because I'd rather have him well and unemployed than sick and working.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
You would think that even small companies would find it more cost effective keeping a well trained member of staff on even if they are sick for a while than adverising, interviewing and retraining a new employee. I seem to remember a thing about the difference in costs between walmart and costco in relation to this. Because costco has a better reward system including health insurance etc they have lower costs per head because the average employee stays for more than 10 years or something. Sorry got flu' and I'm now rambling!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure you're right guapagirl. Everyone always assumes that slavery (or the equivalent...lol) is more profitable. It might be in the short term, but in the long term an economy based on cheap labor has never managed to truly thrive.

Productivity, skill, etc is directly tied to standard of living, level of education, etc.

But, then, nobody ever equated being greedy with being smart. Wink
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
You would think that even small companies would find it more cost effective keeping a well trained member of staff on even if they are sick for a while than adverising, interviewing and retraining a new employee. I seem to remember a thing about the difference in costs between walmart and costco in relation to this. Because costco has a better reward system including health insurance etc they have lower costs per head because the average employee stays for more than 10 years or something. Sorry got flu' and I'm now rambling!

Speaking of Wallyworld, they are in a legal mess I believe b/c they were paying more of an hourly wage to the men cashiers over the female cashiers and I think they fired a couple of pregnant workers or something to that effect. Their turnover rate is ridiculous. Yes, treating their employees well is very important to Costco I have heard. I understand that they have extensive training for customer service whereas it's lacking big time at the Walmart.

These days companies have to be super creative to keep the good employees. It's the entitlement generation, and if you don't offer the benefits, perks, and fringes that they are looking for, then on they go - not like our parent's generation where they stayed somewhere for 20 years and were happy to be there. I went to a seminar recently where the speaker said - gone are the days of giving clocks and pens for anniversary gifts. These days they're looking for Ipods, golf clubs, and flat screen t.v.'s! We just recently switched from clocks to trips and a bonus check! I think at my first job after five years I got a plaque and a set of Cross Pens!

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I think it is terrible. In England we do have a bit more protection than that. Where I work we can be off for 9 months on full pay another 3 months on half pay & even then if it is a genuine sickness they cannot fire you but they can offer you a money incentive for you to leave.
I am not sure if everywhere is the same but I do know that you cannot be sacked for being ill. Even if the employer thinks you are scamming they have to prove it.

I am sorry you have this to worry about on top of everything else & I hope things improve for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice, suggestions, and well wishes. I just woke up from my anesthesia induced coma not too long ago. They took so many biopsies, they said I'm probably going to be bleeding for a week. Also, really sore throat from the endoscopy tube going down my throat.

Good news, no polyps or cancer. They cleaned out my infections, etc. My god, does my tummy hurt though! I still have the diverticulosis, but they are still unsure of the cause Brick wall They want to another one in a month or two.

So I go in tomorrow at noon to face my boss. I think that the guy in Office Space said it best when he said, "He represents all that is unholy."

Yes, I understand, it's a business, but I'm not on salary, and I am using my own personal days for this. I am not getting paid otherwise. I know that they need to do what is good for the company, but as I said, this is the very last thing I need right now........which is why I am upset about it. Sorry, felt the need to justify myself

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
So glad to hear that you don't have polyps or cancer!! Good luck tomorrow with your boss!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |