Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Asian members and anyone familiar with Asian cultures
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Moocheez
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Do you find this funny ? Can you relate to it ? Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKnloiM-0Ns&mode=related&search=
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
That's hilarious.. Crying or Very sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I asked my son how come his grades in math and English dropped from A to B, and he said he thought I said it was fine to either get an A or a B. He didn't understand why I had to be concerned as long as his grades were at least a B. I told him he had to know why his grades changed so that he could improve them. I didn't want the downward trend to continue. Then he said I was pushing him too hard! LOL
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:57 am      Reply with quote
HAHAHAA, that is SOOOOO funny Laughing

But seriously there ARE some parents that are like that, but the way they make those damn accents are SOOOO funny. However it's not a surprise most of the time to see those grades on an Asian student where all the other scientific subjects are As and then you get English which is a C or something because the educational system in Asia teaches those subjects at a higher level than in America, so that type of report card would be a reality for a kid who MOVED here after high school.
Mabsy

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm not Asian but we have many Asian students here and I've had to counsel quite a few of them when they fail a uni course and basically are incredibly afraid of telling their parents. So, in some cases this is probably a very realistic scenario but I don't find it funny because I see the other side where the students sit in my office in tears telling me what their parents will do to them (or rather, what they think they will do). Having said that, I think it also applies to other cultures - it simply depends on the parents' expectations.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy

My mom is from Japan and came to America when she married my dad. When I was about 5-6, I remember vividly her asking my dad (in her broken English) why in the world a CHILD would need THREE MONTHS of summer vacation?! To this day she doesn't get the whole concept. Not sure how it is now, but, back then, kids in Japan had a much shorter summer holiday.

My dad's an American. Both of my parents have an amazing work ethic and were pretty strict about doing out best in school (although they weren't as bad as what you see in the video Wink ). They always taught us that, as kids, school was our job and it was our job to do well.

They're motto -- Work Hard, Play Hard!

In retrospect, I'm really glad that my parents set higher standards for us -- even if I didn't like it at the time!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
My son told me I act like that. So I asked him when he was last punished for a B+ and he couldn't say. With a graduating GPA of 3.56/4, he sure had a few Bs, and even a C or two. Rolling Eyes

I was telling him at least I am not one of those nutty parents who made him prep for SAT when he was in 8th grade, and he said I should have, then he would had done better. Rolling Eyes Mad
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'm half Chinese, and my dad says his parents weren't really like that.

"We don't do timeout like the white people, we do something called KNOCKOUT!" Laughing
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Moocheez wrote:
My son told me I act like that. So I asked him when he was last punished for a B+ and he couldn't say. With a graduating GPA of 3.56/4, he sure had a few Bs, and even a C or two. Rolling Eyes

I was telling him at least I am not one of those nutty parents who made him prep for SAT when he was in 8th grade, and he said I should have, then he would had done better. Rolling Eyes Mad

rofl
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm... can't say that I was berated much about my grades... I have been nagged incessantly about my flute practices when I was a young'un. Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
That reminded me of my mom. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I had a student who came to me as she was afraid of telling her parents her french grade - an A, 91/100. French is the third language she was studying and her parents expected at least a 95. She was 15 years old then.

I agree with the fact that asian parents sometimes expect As from their chidlren, however this clip is not representative of asians. i can't comment on asian americans since their values and cultures are some what different. ( i grew up in asia and lived in american for 9 years )

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
my parents were never like that
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
oh and i didnt find it very funny i thought it was kinda lame. lol.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:57 am      Reply with quote
i would also like to add that most asian parents would be more horrified at this public airing of "dirty laundry" and lack of respect for one's elders than getting a B in english...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 am      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
i would also like to add that most asian parents would be more horrified at this public airing of "dirty laundry" and lack of respect for one's elders than getting a B in english...

I agree with you. Mine are like that too.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I feel like the people on this thread are taking the video a bit too seriously.

The video was obviously just making fun of the common norm of Chinese parents (I really don't think it was directed to "Asians" but moreso towards those of Chinese descent) and have portrayed it to the extreme (obviously to prove their point). It IS lame and a bit stupid that they do this but that IS sort of what makes the whole deal a bit laughable, sometimes you laugh at the people who make this video even moreso than the video itself. And I can see why parents or teachers for that matter would not find it funny, but if you show it to Chinese kids in high school a large number will find it funny (I find that Chinese parents tend to be stricter in high school than in University).

Are kids who cry and are afraid of telling their parents they got a bad grade something to laugh about? Not at all, but come on, this situation does happen (perhaps not to that extreme) but to those who this happens to sometimes do still need to take a break and laugh at their own situation, to relax about it and to see that grades really aren't the whole world.

I showed this to quite a few of my Chinese friends (who are either graduated or still in University) and they did find it funny, lame but funny. It's because we can all relate to varying degrees and we know that this sort of thing happens to MOST Chinese kids at some point in their life much moreso than it happens to other ethnic groups in comparison.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:38 am      Reply with quote
[quote="snowstar"]i would also like to add that most asian parents would be more horrified at this public airing of "dirty laundry" and lack of respect for one's elders than getting a B in english...[/quote]

Laughing Yes! The diciplinarians!!
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote
i am not the least bit offended by it. Very Happy

Moocheez's question was "Do you find this funny ? Can you relate to it ?", and i was replying to it.

1) Do you find this funny ?
i don't find it funny nor am i offended by it. I did find the way the guy dancing in hilarious. I do find the clip in bad taste when it poked fun at his mother's english - she can't help speaking english with an accent. I wouldn't like it if people poked fun of me because i'm ugly or fat or i can't speak properly.

2) Can you relate to it?
I can relate to it somewhat. Reason being my parents expected straight As - but so did everyone else's parents. It didn't affect me but i know of friends and students who were affected by it.

I was just pointing out that to a traditional chinese family (from my point of view), respect for the elders is extremely important. Actually, i believe that respect for the elders is important in all families. Hence i find the clip conflicting - on one hand, it's poking fun at asian study values, on the other, it's blatantly flaunting the important "respect" aspect of asian values.

okies.. i'll get off my soap box now Very Happy

ps pardon me for my poor command of english.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Moochez,

It's hilarious! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was an honors student and am asian myself and had lots of asian friend's whose parents were definitely like that! I remember my friend who was Chinese had gotten a 96% on his math test and his mom called the teacher and asked if he could retake it! Poor kid, fortunately my parents were never that bad but did expect most of my grades to be above a B+.

Kristen Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
So funny. Thanks for sharing this with us.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
lol, thank god my parents werent like that!
but i do know that some asian parents REALLY care about their kids results!
but Laughing made me laugh! cos his broken english is soooo funny!!!! i always laugh at ppl who speak like that i.e. my dad!
but no, i cant relate to it cos my parents, even tho cared about my education.. they knew i wasnt that clever to get As anyways Smile
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
lol, thank god my parents werent like that!
but i do know that some asian parents REALLY care about their kids results!
but Laughing made me laugh! cos his broken english is soooo funny!!!! i always laugh at ppl who speak like that i.e. my dad!
but no, i cant relate to it cos my parents, even tho cared about my education.. they knew i wasnt that clever to get As anyways Smile

HAHA My parents never do that either!~~I always get high results. But the MV is too funny. LOL Laughing
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
reminds me of my painful childhood! I am a Chinese and I was always the top 5 students in the class, yet my dad still hit me hard if I got 95 out of 100! Rolling Eyes
I would never do that to my kids!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for sharing... Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |