Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
OPI nail lacquer and formaldehyde
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I always have OPI nail lacquer and nail envy nail hardener on my nails. I find it lasts all week, regardless of what I do, my nails are really hard, do not break and are long BUT I read somewhere a while back that they had formaldehyde as an ingredient. I did a search and couldn't find the ingredients listed anywhere so I emailed OPI a while back, I have just received a reply which said.....

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delayed response. The only
products that contain Formaldehyde are OPI's nail strengtheners, Original
Nail Envy, Matte Nail Envy, Nail Envy Dry & Brittle, Nail Envy Soft & Thin,
Start- to-Finish Base Coat. Our lacquers do not contain Formaldehyde, but
do contain a formaldehyde resin. If you are highly allergic, please make
sure you are not also sensitive to formaldehyde resin.

Formaldehyde is a preservative used in corpses, among other things, it has been banned in some countries, can irritate the skin and mucous membranes and is possibly carcinogenic. I have this product permanently on my nails!

With the email I also received a FAQ which said that the levels are so low and formaldehyde is in loads of different things, like carpet, furniture etc but I don't WEAR carpet!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi SarahB, I share your concern. I went to a salon and asked if they had OPI and they said they would not use it because of the formaldehyde. I think it's one to avoid...
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
From the tone of the FAQ they sent me, most lacquers and hardeners have formaldehyde in them?!! I will have to do a bit of research on that now.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:12 am      Reply with quote
This is why I switched to Zoya, which contains neither formaldehyde nor toluene. It doesn't last quite as long on the nails as OPI, but comes pretty damn close and gives great coverage. There's a huge choice of gorgeous colours and my nails have been in so much better condition since I started using the Zoya.

I buy it from the US at only £4 a bottle from this site - great service too: http://www.beverlybeaute.com/zoya_uk.htm
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:32 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
This is why I switched to Zoya, which contains neither formaldehyde nor toluene. It doesn't last quite as long on the nails as OPI, but comes pretty damn close and gives great coverage. There's a huge choice of gorgeous colours and my nails have been in so much better condition since I started using the Zoya.

I buy it from the US at only £4 a bottle from this site - great service too: http://www.beverlybeaute.com/zoya_uk.htm

Thank you, that's appreciated, will look at that site. Smile
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:43 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

I do have some OPI lacquers but I also have Zoya fashion shades as well. I spend $12 Canadian per bottle and I get it from my local Beauty Supply store. IMHO, they wear really well - worth purchasing for sure!
Pudoodles Very Happy
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Zoya's colors look nice..
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:13 am      Reply with quote
I was also concerned about certain ingredients (formaldehyde being one of them, toluene being another) and made the switch to Zoya. Their products are wonderful, but they do not make a nail strengthener, only base coat, top coat and colours.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Interestingly, I just got a new bottle of Nail Envy today, and the packaging says it's formaldehyde-free. Maybe they are changing their formula? I'll be curious to see if it works as well as the bottle I just used up which definitely did have formaldehyde in it.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Interestingly, I just got a new bottle of Nail Envy today, and the packaging says it's formaldehyde-free. Maybe they are changing their formula? I'll be curious to see if it works as well as the bottle I just used up which definitely did have formaldehyde in it.

Really that's interesting.

The guy from OPI emailed me yesterday that Original Nail Envy does contain formaldehyde, so maybe they've changed it.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I've had good results with No Miss nail color. Most of their colors are formaldehyde free, and some are free of artificial colors as well.

I suspect that the strengthener does contain formaldehyde. The websitewww.nomiss.com is pretty quick to point out when the products don't contain undesirable ingredients, but the text accompanying the strengthener is silent on that point.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
OPI do two different Nail Envy products - one with formaldehyde and one without. I have the formaldehyde free one myself and use it as a base coat.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I use the one for sensitive / peeling nails - I'm sure this is the first bottle I've had without formaldehyde though, reckon it's definitely a new thing.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I bought mine over a year ago, fifi. It's a Sensitive/Peeling one too. Just checked and it doesn't say about being formaldehyde-free on the bottle, but it did on the box. I think they've probably just made it clearer and more noticeable, which is definitely a good thing.

I'd really like to try the Zoya base coat when this runs out.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know a good site to get Zoya polish in the US? The link posted above by majorb doesn't seem to have an option for US customers.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I found this when searching and I really wish I hadn't! I want them all, so many lovely colours, my fridge does not need any more nail polish! Smile

http://www.artofbeauty.com/scrpt/scr.dll/ShowLine?cat=4&brand=2&line=171
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

OK. I clicked on the link and saw a whole world of lovely nail stuff there. Any one care to chip in about the different stuff on offer? The china glaze looks great, seche looks good too and I've actually heard of them!

Someone care to say the merits or otherwise of these brands?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have seen and bought some Zoya nail polish in local Beauty supply stores. Call your local ones, thay may carry it.

HTH,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to start doing nails again.. Most of the customers prefer OPI or ESSIE..
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:39 am      Reply with quote
For those based in the U.S. have a look at this site: http://8ty8beauty.com/

It has a lot of different brands, including China Glaze, Essie, (OPI *cough*) and Seche.

I hear Seche is the best top coat in the business. Want it so badly.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
Does anyone know a good site to get Zoya polish in the US? The link posted above by majorb doesn't seem to have an option for US customers.

Try here, it's the official Zoya site: http://www.artofbeauty.com/scrpt/scr.dll/cat?brand=%7BbrandID%7D
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
OK. I clicked on the link and saw a whole world of lovely nail stuff there. Any one care to chip in about the different stuff on offer? The china glaze looks great, seche looks good too and I've actually heard of them!

Someone care to say the merits or otherwise of these brands?

The Sèche Vite works really well - helps dry your nails faster and give a fab shine. Haven't tried the China Glaze, though.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I bought mine over a year ago, fifi. It's a Sensitive/Peeling one too. Just checked and it doesn't say about being formaldehyde-free on the bottle, but it did on the box. I think they've probably just made it clearer and more noticeable, which is definitely a good thing.

Hmm...maybe it's exactly the same product then, just different packaging. It feels the same on my nails so far. Now I have to go investigate these Zoya products!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
fifi - Let me know what you think if you do try the Zoya. I seriously, seriously love their nail varnishes. I only wear the damn things on my toenails, but am amassing now a large collection of colours - way too irresistible for me.
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:53 am      Reply with quote
OPI has changed its formulation. This is what it says on their website:

Quote:
Does OPI manufacture products containing DBP or toluene?

Beginning in Spring 2006, OPI eliminated DBP (dibutyl phthalate) from all Nail Lacquers, Nail Treatments, and Nail Hardeners it manufactures. Beginning in January 2007, OPI eliminated toluene from all Nail Lacquers it manufactures. Toluene-free formulas have been approved for all of our Nail Treatment and Nail Hardener products; some of these formulas are already being manufactured, and the others will be on the market in the next few months.

Their website also says that there is no formaldehyde in the nail laquer.

So I guess I will continue using OPI.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |