Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Oil in Skincare.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
I always got cystic acne from mineral oil. My skin also had an oily film to it. It was terrible!

Was about to ask, "Isn't mineral oil the same as baby oil?" but I googled it and yes, it is!

Hugh Hefner has a fetish for baby oil--when I met him I jokingly asked him about it!

His eyes lit up. I got embarrassed all of a sudden and said, "Oh, that stuff makes me break out!" Then I was more embarrassed! Embarassed
I turned around and practically ran!

Here's the wikipedia link, full of arcane info unrelated to skincare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_oil

Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum distillation to produce gasoline.

It has been used in candy manufacture, but is discouraged in children's food products because of low accumulation levels in organs.

It can cure chickens' feet of scaly mites! Laughing

Envios of all you gals who don't get awful breakouts from it. I sure do!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Lisey"]Mineral oil clogs my pores. Sad[/quote]

Same here Sad
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I avoid it like the plague. I have heard nothing but bad about it and linked to cancer, but so are a lot of things.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be a stickler for organic products and avoid anything other than the simplest, most natural formulas. After years of studying skincare I have come full circle, done a lot of research and lost my fear of anything with a scary, long chemically sounding name. I now use a tiny dot of a Bioderma moisturiser containing mineral oil as the final step in my routine. I have had skin barrier issues in the past and the key for me is getting in tons of moisture (I use DIY Japanese lotion masks), then my actives and then sealing it in with a really great occlusive. My skin is LOVING it!

I researched mineral oil a great deal over the past few months and the conclusion I came to was that organic skincare companies created a lot of hype and fear mongering surrounding mineral oil and many other ingredients that are actually not dangerous at all, more so beneficial.

Highly refined cosmetic mineral oil does not contain toxins, it does not cause cancer, doesn't "suffocate" the skin, is non comedogenic (though some may have sensitivities and break out from it anyway!) It doesn't cause harm as long as it is used correctly (i.e. to seal in moisture on skin which has been given a really good drink in the way of hydrating products/water!)

I am prone to break outs but I find if I use the teeniest amount I get great effects and no zits. As an aside, the only lip treatment that has EVER worked for me is Vaseline! Any other balm or natural oil leaves me applying and reapplying never feeling quite comfortable.

Here is a great post on reddit all about mineral oil, debunking many myths Smile

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1356nj/mineral_oil_and_its_benefits_for_skin_dont_be/
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |