Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
amerenglish
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
As well as taking great pleasure in introducing obscure english words to all you poor linguistically challenged yanks, I have noticed that american stuff has started creeping into my way of writing. For example I just told Lori that a coupla pints of snakebite and I'm good. I am NOT good after a couple of pints of snakebite. In fact I'm frequently very bad in every sense. I'm sure this is an american thing I've picked up here.

Anyone else found themselves using foreign expressions or grammar?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I haven't found myself using them yet - but can't wait to find the chance to tell some git to go get hacked off by a coupla slappers or bloody chavs!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
I haven't found myself using them yet - but can't wait to find the chance to tell some git to go get hacked off by a coupla slappers or bloody chavs!!

rofl

You can't TELL a git to get hacked off, but a git could really hack you off. To hack a person of is to annoy them greatly or to pi$$ them off. I htink you are good on the chavs slappers and gits though! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Candy.

I use a lot of foreign words both American, British and sometimes Spanish depending on the situation.

And watch out for those chavs, they spread faster than STD's, well almost. Bad Grin
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I find myself telling people that I'm 'gobsmacked'...Debbie Travis says it on t.v. all the time & I just love the way it sounds so I picked it up. You don't even have to look it up..you just know what it means...well at least I did, some of me friends aren't so bright. Rolling Eyes
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

rofl

You can't TELL a git to get hacked off, but a git could really hack you off. To hack a person of is to annoy them greatly or to pi$$ them off. I htink you are good on the chavs slappers and gits though! Very Happy

rofl
eeh by gum Exclamation Liz we could have some real fun training Candy. Wink

I have trouble with the written word. I now never know if I should write colour or color or liter or litre etc. It takes me so long to remember the british way. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Very strange thing about color, colour, favorite & favourite...Last year we were supposed to write it the American way-drop the u- (less confusion), this year my daughter got it wrong in spelling-back to the Canadian way. Wish they'd make make up their minds.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I lived out in the islands for about 10 years, and visited the States a lot during that time. I've been back in the UK for over 3 years now, and still put gas in my car Laughing
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
I lived out in the islands for about 10 years, and visited the States a lot during that time. I've been back in the UK for over 3 years now, and still put gas in my car Laughing

v/s ??? ooo, I know - Bloody chavs???

j/k

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
fifi wrote:

j/k

rofl

Candy, Liz has created a monster.
No that isn't the right context. You gotta stop now because I am gonna wet meself.

Guapa
another smooth hijacking. We struck again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:
fifi wrote:

j/k

rofl

Candy, Liz has created a monster.
No that isn't the right context. You gotta stop now because I am gonna wet meself.

Guapa
another smooth hijacking. We struck again.

It's my thread ya dumb broad! Rolling Eyes

what's with the v/s j/k? Candy?

And re different spelling, bleedin' word it automatically corrects into US spelling and then I lose marks don't I?

Now, anyone fancy twating a wazzock?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:

Must be my cold medicine giving me the guts to even ask...but...

Doing WHAT to a WHO? Shock It can't be good...
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
guapagirl wrote:

Don't worry, it's only something chavs do!

Twatting is yorkshire for thumping or hitting and a wazzock is a stupid person

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Okay. I must now be officially old because I do not know what any of those words mean. Embarassed Embarassed Please enighten me....pretty please.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Guapa
another smooth hijacking. We struck again.[/quote]

It's my thread ya dumb broad! Rolling Eyes

I know thats why I found it so bleedin funny Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Uh, taking the 'ing' off that word and it definitely does NOT refer to thumping/hitting someone Shock

guapagirl wrote:
marina wrote:
guapagirl wrote:

Don't worry, it's only something chavs do!

Twatting is yorkshire for thumping or hitting and a wazzock is a stupid person

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Janna wrote:
Please enighten me....pretty please.

I meant to say enlighten me! Embarassed
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps Candy can explain it better...take off the suffix from the aforementioned word with and, depending where you're from, you'll get it...if not, you're probably better off Rolling Eyes
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Perhaps Candy can explain it better...take off the suffix from the aforementioned word with and, depending where you're from, you'll get it...if not, you're probably better off Rolling Eyes

Does that word mean the same thing in the UK as it does in the US? Lily Allen has it in some of her songs and she's British. I assumed it meant the same thing....she has a dirty mouth. Laughing
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it does Embarassed

I still want to know about gits, slappers and chavs.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
As well as taking great pleasure in introducing obscure english words to all you poor linguistically challenged yanks, I have noticed that american stuff has started creeping into my way of writing. For example I just told Lori that a coupla pints of snakebite and I'm good. I am NOT good after a couple of pints of snakebite. In fact I'm frequently very bad in every sense. I'm sure this is an american thing I've picked up here.

Anyone else found themselves using foreign expressions or grammar?

Awesome!! Wink

I did find it a bit shocking when visiting Disney and a security guy asked to search my 'fanny pack'!!! A fanny over here in the UK means a ladies private parts!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Janna wrote:
I'm pretty sure it does Embarassed

I still want to know about gits, slappers and chavs.

Git - not very nice person, can also be called a plonker, tosser or w*nker I guess. Wink

Slapper - girl with loose knickers! Think Britney Spears, oh no perhaps not, she doesn't wear them.

Chav - think Britney Spears again, your equivalent of trailer trash, someone with not much money but has to have all the tacky designer gear, think Burberry.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
If it's 'fanny' as in your butt, it means the same thing here...I can't really visualize it meaning anything else.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I found out about the "fanny pack" thing too. After 14 years of living in the US, I moved back here to Sweden. A few months later I took a trip to the UK and made a comment to my British friend about all the tourists with their "fanny packs". She became very red in the face and wondered what I meant, so I pointed one out to her and then she understood that it was those zipper pouch things that some people wear around their waists, mainly tourists. That word in British English does NOT refer to one's rear, butt, behind it refers to a ladies privates.

On the other hand the word "twatting" came up here and well if you drop the "ing" off that word it essentially means the same thing as "fanny" does in British English but in American English it is a gross slang term that mainly teenaged boys (and sadly some classless grown men) use. It's no wonder a few posters here wondered what that word meant. Laughing

I don't mean to offend anyone from either culture and I hope that I didn't. Wink
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Yes, I found out about the "fanny pack" thing too. After 14 years of living in the US, I moved back here to Sweden. A few months later I took a trip to the UK and made a comment to my British friend about all the tourists with their "fanny packs". She became very red in the face and wondered what I meant, so I pointed one out to her and then she understood that it was those zipper pouch things that some people wear around their waists, mainly tourists.

On the other hand the word "twatting" came up here and well if you drop the "ing" off that word it essentially means the same thing as "fanny" does in British English. So no wonder a few posters here wondered what that word meant. Laughing

I don't mean to offend anyone from either culture and I hope that I didn't. Wink

rofl
You were just explaining very nicely done. I am sure you didn't offend anyone.

I had to warn my daughter about thongs before she set off to Australia just incase she slapped anyone for mentioning them. Bad Grin

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |