Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
amerenglish
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
If it's 'fanny' as in your butt, it means the same thing here...I can't really visualize it meaning anything else.

No fanny is the front in the UK!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Janna wrote:
Okay. enighten me....pretty please.

sure...now squeeeeeeze and relax Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
marina wrote:
If it's 'fanny' as in your butt, it means the same thing here...I can't really visualize it meaning anything else.

I get it..twat & fanny are essentially reversed..explains an interesting conversation I had with a salesperson in London a couple of years back Embarassed
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
sarahb wrote:
marina wrote:

I get it..twat & fanny are essentially reversed..explains an interesting conversation I had with a salesperson in London a couple of years back Embarassed

No, they are the same in english, as in lady garden rather than bum

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
ahhhhhhhhhh! Laughing
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
O.K. normally I would just move on with my life but NyQuil is making me a bit plucky...which one's the lady garden & which one's the bum????
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
O.K. normally I would just move on with my life but NyQuil is making me a bit plucky...which one's the lady garden & which one's the bum????

The lady garden is the bit that guys don't have but everyone's got a bum!

If you still don't get it PM me and I'll explain graphically and in private! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
O.K. I'll wait till the nyquil haze is gone first...that may help..otherwise Mabsy's going to have a field day with this one..thanks Cool
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
So, what do you Brits and Scots think of that song by The Band, "The Weight"? ("Take a load off Fanny...")

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:52 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
So, what do you Brits and Scots think of that song by The Band, "The Weight"? ("Take a load off Fanny...")

Smile Never heard of the song but do they mean Fanny as in the name. We had a Fanny Craddock you know! Wink
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Bangs!! That's another one I never could understand. Where does that come from? Took me ages to realise it was the front of your hair, what we call a fringe. Now a fringe I get, but bangs?!!!? Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:13 am      Reply with quote
I always find the suspenders thing funny. In the uk they are a sexy item, but in the US they are not!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:43 am      Reply with quote
as for rubbers...........

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Maybe we should just make a list, I hope this is correct in my understanding of differences between certain British and American words.

British is in LEFT column, American in RIGHT:

Rubbers - erasers
Lift - elevator
Trolley - cart, wagon
Hopper - shuttle (airport related)
Fanny - female private parts
Braces - suspenders
Suspenders - garters
Fringe - bangs
Knickers - panties, underwear
Trousers - pants, slacks
Jumper - sweater
Fags - cigarettes

This is what I've thought of so far, how am I doing? There are too many to think of. Sometimes it's amazing that either side can understand the other. Embarassed Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
very good. If I can think of any I will add them. I am sure Guapa has a few more. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
as for rubbers...........

I can still remember the stunned silence when, during one of my first trips to the States I made a mistake writing something down (a shopping list, I think) and then asked in a very loud voice if anyone had a rubber handy. We truly are two nations separated by a common language Laughing.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
pants in english is the same as knickers as well. I remember meeting an american guy who told me that he loved me. In English, what he meant was he wanted to get into my drawers Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
pants in english is the same as knickers as well. I remember meeting an american guy who told me that he loved me. In English, what he meant was he wanted to get into my drawers Rolling Eyes

I thought that was the same in any nationality Laughing

By the way did he Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Mind yer own beeswax you! He was handsome is all I'll say Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Mind yer own beeswax you! He was handsome is all I'll say Wink

You brazen hussy!
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
"Drawers" in American English are cabinetry that pull out in places like kitchens, bathrooms and so on. You put utensils and such in them.
It can also refer to a piece of furniture that are for storing clothes, like a bureau also called a dresser.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Maybe we should just make a list, I hope this is correct in my understanding of differences between certain British and American words.

British is in LEFT column, American in RIGHT:

Rubbers - erasers
Lift - elevator
Trolley - cart, wagon
Hopper - shuttle (airport related)
Fanny - female private parts
Braces - suspenders
Suspenders - garters
Fringe - bangs
Knickers - panties, underwear
Trousers - pants, slacks
Jumper - sweater
Fags - cigarettes

This is what I've thought of so far, how am I doing? There are too many to think of. Sometimes it's amazing that either side can understand the other. Embarassed Laughing

This is funny....I will tell you what connotations those words have in the US...atleast for me.

Rubbers - condoms
Lift - a ride, "I'll give you a lift home"
Trolley - vehicle that runs on tracks, like in San Fran
Hopper - the box that bills are put in for voting in Congress (Legally Blonde!)
Fanny - someone's behind
Braces - things that straighten your teeth
Suspenders - hold pants up
Fringe - wispy things that hang off shawls/ 90s clothes
Knickers - underwear
Trousers - pants
Jumper - a dress that girls wear with straps on top
Fags - a not PC term for gay people
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
"Drawers" in American English are cabinetry that pull out in places like kitchens, bathrooms and so on. You put utensils and such in them.
It can also refer to a piece of furniture that are for storing clothes, like a bureau also called a dresser.

drawers are also pants! or knickers, or panties. Whatever!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Again, it's amazing that either side can understand the other. Bad Grin Embarassed
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
well there have been misunderstandings. I distinctly remember writing something about my mate, I just wonder if Carrie remembers what she thought about me and my mate. Obviously mate is not used instead of friend in America.

Come to that girlfriend over here implies more than friendship.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |