Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
amerenglish
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
You know it's funny the American and Canadian term, "nitpicking" comes from the UK.
In North American English of course nitpicking means to really go over something either in a document or in conversation, to find fault.
However the term nitpicking is from British English which had to do with combing through hair to check for lice. Lice eggs are called, nits. It was a tedious job but one had to be thorough hence the North American term, "nitpicking" to REALLY find faults, or comb through things with great detail (in documents or conversation).

Just a fun (albeit super gross) piece of historical trivia. Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
You know it's funny the American and Canadian term, "nitpicking" comes from the UK.
In North American English of course nitpicking means to really go over something either in a document or in conversation, to find fault.
However the term nitpicking is from British English which had to do with combing through hair to check for lice. Lice eggs are called, nits. It was a tedious job but one had to be thorough hence the North American term, "nitpicking" to REALLY find faults, or comb through things with great detail (in documents or conversation).

Just a fun (albeit super gross) piece of historical trivia. Smile

All this talk about nits is making me itch! Shock

and yes, mash is mashed spuds (potatoes). God I love mash!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl, did you realize that mashed potatoes are a food group unto themselves? Also my fav food and something I cook extremely well. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Bangers and mash, with a decent helping of onion gravy, just has to be one of the best things ever! I'd choose that over a posh dinner any day Laughing .
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Bangers and mash, with a decent helping of onion gravy, just has to be one of the best things ever! I'd choose that over a posh dinner any day Laughing .

Me too!!! Very Happy

Talking about English, I speak all sorts of English (American, English, Australian). Sometimes, I have no clue what my English boyfriend says esp. with his broad Yorkshire hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
there's nowt better than bangers & mash & thick onion gravy. Although the whisky sounds good too.

Why does talk of nits make me scratch my head. errr yukky.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, mash and gravy. yum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I've got one for you guys!!! I work with a very handsome british gentleman, and he decided to acquire a cat. We were talking in the hallway at work, with guests around, and I was trying to convince him that he should keep his cat indoors, because of the street, and the cold. He said no, he likes them brave. Rolling Eyes

Then he exclaimed loudly, "I like a little fire in my p*ssy!" I promptly responded, "You know, they have a cream for that!!!" Laughing He actually had no idea that this word was pretty much only used as a reference to female genitalia. I guess it is somewhat over there, but nobody takes the word at that meaning seriously.

I had to take him aside and explain this to him. He still does it every once in awhile. Can't have out Restaurant Manager running around screaming "P*ssy!" at the top of his lungs Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 am      Reply with quote
mper1327 wrote:

Then he exclaimed loudly, "I like a little fire in my p*ssy!" I promptly responded, "You know, they have a cream for that!!!" Laughing He actually had no idea that this word was pretty much only used as a reference to female genitalia. I guess it is somewhat over there, but nobody takes the word at that meaning seriously.

I had to take him aside and explain this to him. He still does it every once in awhile. Can't have out Restaurant Manager running around screaming "P*ssy!" at the top of his lungs Laughing

Oh I bet if an English guy said he liked a little fire in his * spam *, he would know EXACTLY what he was saying! Wink
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:31 am      Reply with quote
I agree. We Brits do know what a * spam * is & we can also be very straight faced when we say things. People cannot always tell if we are serious or not.

Unless he led a very sheltered life I bet he is just winding you up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
I agree. We Brits do know what a * spam * is & we can also be very straight faced when we say things. People cannot always tell if we are serious or not.

Unless he led a very sheltered life I bet he is just winding you up.

most definitely -- he knew! i went out with a seemingly straight-laced and very straight faced brit for many years and i swear he lived to wind me up. i caught on to him, but somehow he kept on managing to get me, over and over again, the arse!

i now live with a glaswegian who can't keep the smile from his face as he puns me to death....
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
It's something Brits are very good at, sarcasm, irony and the ability to take the p*ss out of ourselves and others. I just love our sense of humour, especially when others just don't get it. You can really have fun. Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
mper1327 wrote:

Oh I bet if an English guy said he liked a little fire in his * spam *, he would know EXACTLY what he was saying! Wink

yep, I'm with la vie and lori. They guy was winding you up. He probably had no intention of getting a cat Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
It's all true. Living in England's like being part of one big "Carry On" film.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
When working in NZ a few years back, I had an Aussie friend who, when I couldn't decide something, said, "Quit your wingeing (sp?) and come on!" Say what?! I took it to mean "Quit dithering."

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
When I was in Oz wingeing was moaning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
So, is "shag" a nasty word in the U.K.? Is it the same as the F*** word in the U.S.? Just curious. . .

Tina
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
tinamarie8 wrote:
So, is "shag" a nasty word in the U.K.? Is it the same as the F*** word in the U.S.? Just curious. . .

Tina

It does as a verb though you can't use it as "shagging boring" like you would with "f***ing boring" Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Oops! I meant it is...not it does :P

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know, he is quite reserved. And he's about 60..........he seriously seemed very embarrassed when everyone laughed.

Oh, and what does squidge mean? He's been calling me that, and I can't figure it out! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I take squidgy to mean squashy, cuddly, infact I have always called my friends daughter squidge & I really don't know why but she just suits the name. So take it as a compliment.

Poor guy probably comes from posh Britain unlike us commoners that get on EDS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:

Poor guy probably comes from posh Britain unlike us commoners that get on EDS.

Speak for yourself! Wink One is NOT common! Wink
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |