Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Makeup brushes make my face itch!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I like the idea of a nice big face brush to put stuff on the face quickly, but brushes seem to make my face itch, even if briefly. I have seen brushes at the Body Shop that are made with very fine synthetic bristles. I tried them and they felt better (I think) on my face, but they are expensive.

Does anyone else have this issue, and can you recommend anything?

Thanks.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have this problem with even the softest brushes. I have stopped using brushes for a while since my skin seems especially irritable at the moment, so no powder, just cream blusher, cream compact foundation for now.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Alibabka, this is the story of my life. High-quality synthetic brushes can be a bit more expensive, but they are soooo worth it! They are the only brushes I use that won't irritate my face, and they feel so luxurious too! My faves are the Alima ones, sold at www.alimacosmetics.com, however, Urban Decay's are a close second. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, many of the better quality brushes are very over priced. I second Alima brushes, but A-squirrel (www.a-squirrel.com) also make fantastic pure goat/squirrel hair brushes which are well priced.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, Alima brushes are worth the price.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Are the synthetic brushes or natural hair brushes itching your face? If it's the former I would recommend you try Jane Iredale brushes. I use her brushes and love them. Sooooo soft and they work great too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much for your responses -- these are the first responses I have read to my own posted questions!

I had not even heard of Alima -- I will take everybody's answers inder advisement. Wildflower, it's the natural brishes that were "itching" me. I will look into your suggestions along with all the others.

Thanks again to all of you!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Unfortunately, many of the better quality brushes are very over priced. I second Alima brushes, but A-squirrel (www.a-squirrel.com) also make fantastic pure goat/squirrel hair brushes which are well priced.

I second A'Squirrel brushes. I recently bought 3 of their pure squirrel brushes and a goat hair brush. They're super soft and very reasonably priced compared to MAC, Bobbi Brown or Shu Uemura. I've had problems with Bobbi Brown brush irritating my skin before (only when my skin is acting up), but none with A'Squirrel. Good brushes may seem expensive, but they're great investment. They last a long time if well taken care of. They also prevent problems that may be caused from skin irritation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
I recommend Alima's. They are awesome!!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Even though I absolutely love my Jane Iredale Handi Brush, I must admit that it makes my neck blotchy and lumpy for a short while after use. I'm allergic to animal hair and this is why. I suppose I really should change to synthetic.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to ask:

Does anyone have any experience with Trish McEvoy brushes. She is serious about her brushes, but i have no idea if they are any different from other brishes out there.

Are any of the recommended brushes accessible for testing, like maybe is Jane Iredale or A-Squirrel or Alima sold in good department stores?

Even if not, it's great to know to where to devote my attention on this. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Amazing Cosmetics Line Smoother + Primer (15 ml / 0.5 floz) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)