Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I am very excited
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have had a pretty crap past few weeks and needed to cheer myself up.

I have decided to order my first ever mineral makeup.
I am going to get Alima after all the rave reviews.
Razz

I need a bit of advice please as I'd like a foundation.
I am a LLL (light lovely lady - in foundation talk).
Iam Stila 20 watts and Chanel 10.
My skin tone is warm and I am prone to some redness around my nose and cheeks.

Can anyone recommend a few colour samples for me to order.

I'm also going to get the foundation brush and some blush samples.
Very Happy

Thank you.
Emma x
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Emma! Well, it sounds to me like maybe you're W-1, 2, or 3... maybe someone else can help narrow it down evn further?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Emma,

I would suggest trying the light neutrals and the light warms. Maybe the first 3 or 4 in both catagories. IMO thats the best way to insure a good color match and not go broke with shipping costs if the first order doesnt work out.

I also suggest ordering some samples of the Uglogirl Soft glo finisher! Its AMAZING! FYI, all the colors of the finishers are ready just not listed on the site yet, if you want to sample them just place an order and email CS with your request. Melissa will email you back to let you know that its been taken care of. I just love the way they work so well with Alima!

Also dont forget about the discounts! Oooh! Oooh! You should totally splurge and get the #25 Alima brush, it truly makes the biggest difference in application, they could easily charge 5 times as much for this gem!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Once you go minerals you wont go back! Sorry cant help with shades I still havent found my perfect match after a year....but im fair too with some redness around the cheeks with skin that can get sensitive and I usually find medium tones work for me. The light tones with EM are just a bit too light for me. Im currently waiting on Lumiere samples to arrive Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy

Thank you very much.

I will get the brush and the Uglogirl too.
Very Happy
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I just received my alima foundation and blush samples and a #25 brush today I am excited, but wary, to try it tomorrow. I'm new to MMU. I tried BE, not too exact color, and it might have caused new blackheads on my nose. I only had one before. Sad Then I tried Aromaleigh samples last weekend and got some little bumpy things and 2 little pimples on my forehead Sad I don't know if it was the MMU,and/or the crazy weather, or if it was the moisturizer I used under it.
I think it was the moisturizer but the aroamleigh seemed to make me look very old when I tried it one day last week, so for the 2 days of the weekend I moisturized first. The BE had looked better than the aromaleigh, so I don't know if it was the formula or that the color was not right. So on Monday I went right back to my Revlon skinlights diffusing foundation and Lancome concealer. I don't use much makeup anyway, so maybe MMU isn't for me. I will try Alima tomorrow and I am excited about all the rave reviews and the brush, maybe a better brush will not irritate and make breakouts? how does it compare to Uglogirl? any other recommendations?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
praia98 wrote:
I just received my alima foundation and blush samples and a #25 brush today I am excited, but wary, to try it tomorrow. I'm new to MMU. I tried BE, not too exact color, and it might have caused new blackheads on my nose. I only had one before. Sad Then I tried Aromaleigh samples last weekend and got some little bumpy things and 2 little pimples on my forehead Sad I don't know if it was the MMU,and/or the crazy weather, or if it was the moisturizer I used under it.
I think it was the moisturizer but the aroamleigh seemed to make me look very old when I tried it one day last week, so for the 2 days of the weekend I moisturized first. The BE had looked better than the aromaleigh, so I don't know if it was the formula or that the color was not right. So on Monday I went right back to my Revlon skinlights diffusing foundation and Lancome concealer. I don't use much makeup anyway, so maybe MMU isn't for me. I will try Alima tomorrow and I am excited about all the rave reviews and the brush, maybe a better brush will not irritate and make breakouts? how does it compare to Uglogirl? any other recommendations?

If a MMU is making you look old (or chalky) its probably too light. Good news though, you are headed on the right track for a good MMU, Alima is excellent as is Uglogirl. As far as the difference between the two, Alima has a wider shade range and is more opaque, UGG is more of a sheer coverage, still excellent quality but, not for someone who has a lot of stuff to hide.

I love the UGG Soft Glo Finishers! And yes, the #25 brush really makes that big of a difference, I didnt believe it till I tried it myself, then I had to have all the Alima brushes! Embarassed Laughing Let us know how it goes!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Smile, that's why the BE was better, the color was darker. I will post about the alima after I try it tomorrow. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Emma! I am not good at all with recommending colors for other people, but I wanted to pop in to say that I am glad that your crappy weeks are behind you and I hope things continue to get better for you. Great idea to buy yourself a treat for getting through hard times. Smile
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
what is Alima? Is this a mineral makeup?
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
it's a brand of mineral makeup.

here are some links :
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20638&highlight=alima

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20829&highlight=alima

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
I also suggest ordering some samples of the Uglogirl Soft glo finisher! Its AMAZING! FYI, all the colors of the finishers are ready just not listed on the site yet, if you want to sample them just place an order and email CS with your request. Melissa will email you back to let you know that its been taken care of. I just love the way they work so well with Alima!

How did you pick a color if their not on the website?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Sighing.....

I don't know anything about mineral makeup. I saw the title of the threat and thought it was about sex Cool
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to get smacked for this...you reach a point in your life when finally finding a good MMU that's also a good color match is probably better than sex Embarassed
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I am still waiting for Lumier to get back to me regarding foundation colour match. Anyone here can help me find a colour match with MMU? Chanel double perfection in Sable is a perfect match for me. Thanks.
Wild Cat

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Marina, we have GOT to have a talk ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if this will help with color choices. Thats if the link works.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/chiaxx/foundation.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
I'm going to get smacked for this...you reach a point in your life when finally finding a good MMU that's also a good color match is probably better than sex Embarassed

Cool Laughing

Thank you Marci65 for your kind words.

That link is good loopylori - I couldn't see Alima on it though.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry

I didn't check it. It might be worth emailing them to ask.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Please don't apologise - its a great site - I've bookmarked it.
Thanks.
Emma x
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
vonstella wrote:

How did you pick a color if their not on the website?

Sorry, I didnt see this!

She has the colors listed as "coming soon" and the only one for sale is the white (clear), she emailed me to let me know that all the colors that are listed are ready for sale, they are just taking a bit longer to actually put on the site.

marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Great! Thank you Very Happy
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Well, I got tempted too and ended up ordering a bunch of Alima samples (even though I have a foundation I am PERFECTLY happy with...) Gggrrrr!

Anywayyyss, I wanted to know what routine you have. I have read the MMU tips thread started by Tiger Tim but I have a few more questions. I assume Alima goes on last after mositurizer and sunscreen, right? Do you use a primer? I know that ManslayerLiz doesn't but Olyn does... Do you have to spritz? Do you blot your face after spritzing? I'm still puzzled how a powder can be a foundation? But we'll see. Also what is a finisher from Uglo? Is it another powder that goes on top?

TIA
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
bump
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
MMU is the last step after moisturizer and SS. It depends how your skin feels after SS whether or not you want to use a primer. If your skin feels a bit dry I would recommend a primer and MMU won't feel too good applying on dry skin, it's best to apply on moisturized skin. Or if you think you're a bit oily you can apply something like silk dust as a primer/finisher.

With spritzing, I don't do it but most do - it personally doesn't work for me. I don't think there are any "rules" to MMU, just what suits your skin needs. And if you spritz I like to get a piece of kleenex and lightly pat to pat the spritz in and to absorb the water. Some don't, and it certainly isn't necessary unless you are layering more on after spritzing.

Finishers are powders that you apply after you have applied your foundation. They can be highlighters, oil control powders, or loose powders to give you that soft focused look. Usually they are used to set makeup but I'm not sure that MMU really requires setting, so I think in this case they're used to give one a glow or a more healthy look or oil control.

HTH

HTH
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |