Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Broken Red Capillaries around nostrils
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
GeoK

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I found this forum a few weeks ago, and have been reading it on and off, but more frequently in the last 3-4 days. I've found a lot of useful information thus far!

My question is...Is there something that you guys recommend for broken red capillaries? I have it at the base of my nostrils. It hasn't really bothered me that much before as they are not very noticeable, but it is now bugging me Confused Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI,

I found this site because I was researching Jan Marini Eyelash Formula. I've been using it for a week now, so wish me luck! I'm Asian, so my lashes are non-existent Crying or Very sad I just ordered the Ardell lash serum last night, because I read so much about it here. Will keep you guys updated on what happens. Cheers.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the board!

There is really no topical that will get rid of this problem. There are two treatments I know of that can get rid or improve them. One is laser treatment and the other is scelrotherapy (sp?). Both are done in a doctor's office or under a doctor's supervision.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
How expensive are these methods? I too would like to get rid of them, do they go away 100%?

And I have heard they go away over time as well, any truth to that?
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
xxndnromeoxx wrote:
How expensive are these methods? I too would like to get rid of them, do they go away 100%?

And I have heard they go away over time as well, any truth to that?

I wish they did go away. I've had mine for maybe 2-3 years, they're not major noticeable but I know they are there. I've tried the rosehip oil that was suggested on here, at first I thought it made a difference but not now.

From what I understand if you have treatment it could solve the problem temporarily but they could come back again.

I also 'popped' a tiny vein next to my nose, after that was also recommended on here, first hour fantastic the blood had gone but it came back later on and I don't recommend popping them.

I have heard that Medik8 cream is supposed to be good.
GeoK

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I will certainly look into all that has been suggested. I had a facial done about a month ago, and the aesthician said that she can get rid of it using vasceltouch (sp?). I tried looking it up online but haven't found any information so far (probably because I do not have the correct spelling). She said that it would cost about $100 for my treatment. This was going to be my option if I couldn't find any topical solution.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Could be vascotouch, I found this.....

http://www.dermahaircare.com/facial.html
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Apart from laser treatment, using mild vitamin c serums have been known to strengthen the capillary walls. And avoiding heat- steam, sauna, hot showers as well as hot spicy foods as they can aggravate the condition.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Geo, I dopn't have experience fixing them, but I believe the standard cosmetic ingredient TOUTED to be helpful with this is vitamin K (in creams and serums).
There are also supplements that are supposed to help with vein health (like against varicose veins or hemmorrhoids). Horse chestnut is one, and I have seen it in cosmetics as well. However, I would research these considerably before just taking my word for it...
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Add grape seed proanthocyanidins to that list.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

I have heard that Vitamin K could help with this.

A cheap form of Vitamin K would be the plain gelatin, like Knox. You can mix it with boiling water, cool it to warm and apply with cotton rounds until cool.

Taking Vitamin C internally may also help... as well as avoiding consuming alcohol, spicy foods or using products that would be harsh on the face, including scrubs.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Garden of Wisdom sells plant-derived Vitamin K: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040338/3856199.htm

You would add a drop or two of it to another drop or two of your favourite carrier oil at night and apply to those capillary areas.

It can be allergenic for a few individuals. I would say it takes 3 to 4 weeks at least to see results.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Just an fyi--there is really no topical that is proven to remove these broken capillary-issues on it own. Some people have had limited success with them, but before you rush out and buy all those creams and hope for them to work, ask yourself this question: do you want to remove them, or do you want to reduce them potentially?
because if you want to remove them, the only thing that has been proven to work is electro-coagulation, which is a combined electric pulse/in some cases laser and a needle, done by aestheticians or dermatologists. If you already have a dermatologist, just ask if they have one of these contraptions--in my experience and from hearing others, it's use is included in the cost of your derm apptmnt--that should run you abour $70. Aestheticians will generally charge more for this procedure, since they charge per procedure.
ipls and lasers do NOT work well for this condition, unless you are being treated by a laser wizard, i.e. someone who REALLY understands how it works and what they are doing. The frequencies are extremely difficult to adjust to individual blemishes and problems, but they work well for overall resurfacing. Most technicians at medspas will tell you they know exactly what they are doing, but it is not true. Most of them experiment on their clients and everyone's skin takes differently to the light--there are too many variables and it is so $$$. The electro-coagulation works in one shot, is not very pricey, and is a standard dermatological procedure. These issues return periodically, but electro-coagulation can effectively and cheaply keep them under control.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have had this laser treatment on a few broken capillaries, it really works.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Amylola, are you referring specifically to electrocoagulation?
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I do not know exactly what it was called, it was a laser and when my esthetician held it to my face and zapped it. Few days later it was gone. I know it was a laser but do not know the exact name, I could find out though next time I go to the clinic.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be interested to know, Amylola. Was the aesthetician working on you under the care of a doctor, or was it a regular beauty spa and no doctor saw you?

Also, do you remember the cost of the treatment?

Thanks.
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
It was a girlfriend of mine, she works at a plastic surgery clinic, with a aestheticians office within. She is a trained aesthetician, with a nursing degree, able to do botox injections,etc.
I just called the office, the machine is a laser called Cutera.
I don't know about price b/c she is my friend, and did the couple broken caps I had for 25$ while I was in getting a microderm, but I know it is expensive.
Hope that helps!
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, very much -- thanks again!
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
Apart from laser treatment, using mild vitamin c serums have been known to strengthen the capillary walls. And avoiding heat- steam, sauna, hot showers as well as hot spicy foods as they can aggravate the condition.

I agree with the above, as these can all aggravate them.

I would go with a laser treatment to remove these for good, as while you're there, the laser will get rid of other problem areas as well. Personally, I have had a "photo-facial" laser procedure done 3 times, and WOW, my skin looks great, and much improved, ie. gone are the broken caps, pores smaller, acne scars zapped away, fine lines smoother, hyperpigmentation all gone, etc.

I have a friend who works in a Laser Clinic (all are licenced derms working there) and she performs this for me at a fraction of the cost, but one procedure for full face treatment is $500, and min 2-3 is required to see results. To target a specific area, I'm not sure what they charge (i think i've seen $75-120 for spot treatment with that laser on internet), but the point it, it works! Check with some clinics in your area, have a free consultation, and see what they can offer you and at what price. Why not kill a few birds with one stone?

HTH's

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi steffers,

I'm glad you had a good experience with lasers. They can be beneficial for overall rejuvenation effects indeed. But targeted laser and ipl treatments rarely, if ever, work for people like me, who are prone to broken caps and only want those areas treated. I had three state of the art ipls for mine and not one of my problem areas even diminished a bit. they were done by the most reputable spa in chicago, and they were about $200 each. I had them done by the resident doctor as well. They explained to me that new technologies and new lasers are constantly being marketed and introduced, and that it is hard to keep up and learn exactly what wavelengths and frequencies are needed for different skins/problems etc.
ipl and lasers are just too pricey for this kind of problem; on the other hand, electro-coagulation is safer, and 100% proven effective. it also costs under $75 and lasts longer than ipls or lasers for this problem.
so i just want to make sure most people out there do not make the same mistake i did.
if you are going to do ipl, do it for all over redness/rosacea/skin damage, a significant part of which can be telangiastia as well--don't use it for spot treatments, it is just too risky. the medspa business wants all the $$$ they can get, and they will convince you to spend thousads of dollars and never promise results.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ellelang

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
Welcome to the board!

There is really no topical that will get rid of this problem. There are two treatments I know of that can get rid or improve them. One is laser treatment and the other is scelrotherapy (sp?). Both are done in a doctor's office or under a doctor's supervision.

I have broken capillaries on the bridge of my nose and have spent major $$$ at my derm's office on scelrotherapy (sp?). It worked for a little while, but they ALWAYS came back.

I'm thinking about a laser treatment......
System
Automatic Message
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Janson Beckett NekaDermEL (118 ml / 4 floz) Obagi Retinol 1.0 Cream (28 g) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)