Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

vit c for young spotty skin??? yay or nay?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:11 am      Reply with quote
my 13 (going on 23 Confused ) y.o. daughter has bad spots on her face, chest and back. The doc is not interested and she's getting fed up with them. I've tried various things, from loreal stuff to sisley tropical resin serum, and nothing is working. I'l loathe to keep giving her AHA/BHA as I'm not convinced about how good they are in the long term. I keep reading in threads that vit C serum has helped some of you. I'm thinking of investing in some 10% serum for her. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I have no experience of this side of skincare, but I really don't want to bugger up her skin. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Liz
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Liz,
Are these post-pimple brown spots or she has acne right now? AHA is great for fading off the spots. BHA is great for preventing/controlling acne. If she has it really badly, it might be time for a prescription medication- Retin- A? or even Accutane? Rx benzoyl peroxide? Differin is another Rx retinoid that is used. Why is her derm disinterested? That's not too nice.

Vitamin C is wonderful for brightening the skin tone, fading off hyperpigmentation but I have never seen any info that says it is good at controlling acne. Also, if you decide to get her some C, take a long look at the other ingredients besides the C - you don't want to aggravate or promote her skin problems with stearates, etc.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
she has some pock marks from picking but it's not really really bad, just bad enough to make her feel self concious. I wouldn't even consider getting her on roaccutaine as I think it's reserved for severe acne and has a very bad rep with regards mental health and brain damage issues and Lucy is quite moody enough thank you!
She has been using a mix of aha/bha but with little effect and like I said, I have concerns about them thinning the skin, so I don't want her to over-do it. I was gonna get the Vit C that you recommended as it seems pretty neutral in terms of irritants/ pore clogging etc. I thought of using it as I've read threads that have said that it's calmed down oily/combination skin. Just can't remember who said it and there are so many posts that I don't have time to search (I should be prepping for my end of year exams as I write!). The one thing you suggest that I really need to look into is the benzoyl peroxide, I have a friend who swears by it as well, but it's really hard to track down in the UK, several creams that did have it have taken it out of their formulations.
God! sorry! been a bit long winded! Things I'll do to avoud study! Wink
Lizx
Pinay24
5% products discount

Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Use Proactiv Solution, it is really good for acne spot & it contains 2.5% of benzoyl peroxide. Especially if you get the refining mask as well. You out a little amount of it on the spot overnight. The next morning its gone.

I have bad acne before, now I rarely get it. By the way acne is heridetary( genes-if any of the family has it then there is a chance that the offspring will have it too.).
Mabsy

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Liz,

I think vit C would be great to help even out skin tone and clear up any marks left by acne, but probably not to actually control acne. You could try a product only with BHA, with no additional AHA, if you're worried about thinning out her young skin. There are also natural treatments you could try. I know Chunlisa did a review of the YonKa Juvenil a while back and she was quite happy with it. Her original review: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=729&highlight=yonka+juvenil and her update to it: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=828&highlight=yonka+juvenil

I haven't had much luck with benzoyl peroxide spot treatment products, but I only tried the pharmacy stuff like Clean&Clear. I know that the DDF BP product seems to get great reviews but I have never tried it myself. MUA reviews on it: http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:Q1i_Y3ZWss4J:www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID%3D15529/Treatments/DDF/Benzoyl_Peroxide_Gel_5%2525_with_Tea_Tree_Oil/+DDF+Benzoyl+Peroxide+makeupalley&hl=en

The DDF Sulphur Therapeutic mask could also be a goer, that gets good reviews in terms of acne as well.

Mabsy
ps. Good luck with your exams! I'm giving my students an exam first thing Tuesday morning Bad Grin
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
OOOOOOh you sadist Mabsey! Will defo try the suggestions given. pls forgive bad spllig...having brek from studies and abolutly pished!
love to you allll liz xxxxxxxx
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have very mild occasional acne, but since I have been using vit C, my face is the clearest it has ever been in my entire life. I do still use retin-A every other night. If I were having more problems with acne, I don't know that I would rely totally on vit C, but in my experience, it definitely helps.

Liz
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:43 am      Reply with quote
(From a slightly hungover Liz)

Thank You for all the replies! Pinay, the proactiv stuff sounds good and thanks for the link to chunlisa's review of the Yonka juvenil Mabsy, That looks like a definite goer as well. Looks like it's big internet order coming as I don't think I can get any of this stuff in the uk.
Thanks again, Liz
Mabsy

Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:36 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
having brek from studies and abolutly pished!
love to you allll liz xxxxxxxx

rofl

Looks like you had a good night there Liz! Laughing Glad to hear it!

Nah, my students like me - I set very fair exams (at least I think I do!).

Mabsy
ming
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Whatever treatment you are using (aha/pha/bha/vit c), remember to wear sunscreen
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:50 am      Reply with quote
LOL Ming! I'm like a broken record on that front! I had to resort to buying her fake tan just to get her to agree as we live in surfville uk and everyone, and I mean everyone has a face like a walnut from sun exposure Neutral
You can imagine what a freak I appear to be here, but given that Lucy's friends mums are all way younger than me but look at least 10 years older, I don't care!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Liz, you are so frickin' hilarious. Can you just start doing your own column on what life is like where you live? Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:51 am      Reply with quote
It's born of boredom and insanity Laughing
rebelgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:21 am      Reply with quote
You can get benzoyl peroxide creams and gels in any pharmacy in the uk. They're behind the counter so you have to ask though. The one I used to use was called aquagel which comes in 2.5 %, 5% and 10% benzoyl peroxide. Definately start with the lower strengths and use it sparingly. The aquagel is nice as it doesn't leave any white marks on your skin like the cream can.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:24 am      Reply with quote
ahh thanks for that rebel girl! Will check it out and get her to try before doing a big splurge on anything too pricy, especiall as the little madam has just got herself grounded for being VERY rude! Embarassed
Mabsy

Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Oh Liz, you crack me up!
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I used to have terrible acne as a teenager, face, back, some on the chest and you are right in that you are worried about her self-esteem. So many of the wonderful range of products for helping with acne pretty much didn't exist, or at least I never had access to them at the time, but my mom took me to the dermatologist where I got retina A and antibiotics. It was a help even if my skin was often red and irritated. I don't remember how long I used these products, probably a few years. I am certainly not advocating this method for your daughter. I hope that Dermatology has advanced far beyond that. If the products you are going to try don't work, I would think seriously about taking her to the dermatologist. I say this because sometimes people say-ah it is a puberty thing and she will outgrow it. Well I didn't outgrow it even with treatment. I had it all through high school and some of it, even on my back, well through college. She may very well outgrow it. People often do, but I just wanted to give you an opinion from someone who did not outgrow it. Not until after college at least. You definitely seem to be keeping up and being proactive in considering the effect 'bad skin' can be both physically and psychologically.

Forgive my rather long ramble above. It doesn't sound like the level of acne that you are dealing with is as bad as mine was, but I wanted to give you input, from the trenches, so to speak. I do have a small bit of advice to give you. I don't know if applies to your daughter, but does she take baths for the most part instead of showering? If she does take baths, have her switch to showering. It really does make a difference, especially on the acne on her chest and back. I grew up taking baths, and it took me a long time to figure out that showering instead of taking a bath helped to some degee. I don't know if it is sitting or lying in the water in the tub, the bubble bath etc that might be in the bath water, or if the straight up lather, rinse, dry and get out of showering is just less irritating. If she always takes a shower, then of course none of this applies and I have just run on and on without being at all helpful. Good luck to you and your daughter. Smile
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:39 am      Reply with quote
Guapa as someone who has spent years and god knows how much money trying different potions and lotions may I recommend a fews things you might want to look at.

These are my tried and tested problem solvers which I'd recommend to just about anyone with spotty/oily/congested skin on the body and face.

Neutrogena body wash - will help keep her skin on her body clear and gentle enough to use every day if she wants to.

others that work well but are more £ is the glycol shower gel and body scub from MD Formulations. I apply them to dry skin before I get in the shower to give them time to work on shifting the muck)

Next

MD Formulations Vita plus, it's a spray for shoulders, chest and back that works really really well.

For face.

I love the Yonka Juvenil - but be warned it does seem to draw out the muck, which in the long run is a good thing.

Yonka Creme 15 - If I get sloppy with my routine, hormones flair up, this is the one that brings my skin back to normal. Apply a good layer at night (and a little can be applied again in the moring on it's own or mixed with moisturiser)

If you want a store bought cleanser, the Pure Zone or whatever it's called from L'Oreal, seba calm foaming cleanser is cheap and chearful,look in boots, it's in a pale blue metal can Very Happy works but not too harsh like clearsil and that Oxy stuff.

If you want to go up market, look in the Dermalogica range, it comes highly thought of. I've only had samples so I won't recommend because I haven't used any long enough.

In the long term I think Vit.C will help BUT at the moment I would lean towards settling/calming the skin down and getting in to regular routine.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Marella, Welcome and thanks for your informative post! We have gone through all the loreal range and the benzol peroxide and have pretty much settled on neutrogena 2in1 face wash and mask and purple emu blemish control. She applies vit c when she remembers and I am thinking of getting her the DrH normalising oil, clay mask and steam bath to supplement it. Her acne is no way bad enough for accutane etc (not that the GP would prescribe it for her anyway) and it is very manageable now and is only really noticeable when she has not cleaned her face (which she is pretty good about normally). As to showers, that is all she has...If you can find some evidence that PROLONGED showers are bad for spots I will love you for ever! She lives in the bathroom!
Eve she got some samples of the MD formulations and hated the stuff! Is the yonka juvenil a spot treatment? and is the creme15 ok for youngers? I have seen some stuff they say not for under 18 or so?
Thanks, Liz Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Guapa - I don't like MD formulations for the face just those couple for the body.

Yonka not for under 18's? don't know where that is from, perhaps because it is plant/essential oil based but I'm a qualified aromatherapist and I can see no in them.
The Juvenil is like a spot treatment, you can dab it on, slap it all over or mix it with moisturiser, if her skin is prone to breakouts I would say juvenil and creme 15 with confidence - if she hates it I'll buy it off you Laughing
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
hee hee....maybe I'll go for that rather than the DrH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Guapagirl, ask your daughter how she washes her hair, and if she does it first or last. In my experience shampoos/conditioners can leave residue on the body if you wash your hair after you're done with your body. This residue can cause irritations and acne. It might help if she leans forward when she wash and rinse her hair so these products don't come in contact with her skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |