Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Turbo Line Smoothing Toning Lotion (200 ml / 6.7 floz) Benir Beauty BV-9 Platinum Provectus Super Serum with Bee Venom (50 g / 1.7 floz)
Californa Hair Pill and Multi-Vitamin = Too Much??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
rcascone
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 183
Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have a multi-vitamin and I just bought the hair pill, but I am concerned with overdoing certain vitamins, if that's possible??!! Here is what is in the multi...

Beta-Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 6 mg) 10,000 IU 200%
Vitamin C (from Calcium Ascorbate) 300 mg 500%
Vitamin D (as Ergocalciferol) 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) 200 IU 670%
Vitamin K (as Phytonadione) 80 mcg 100%
Thiamine (as Thiamine HCI) (Vit. B-1) 25 mg 1660%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 25 mg 1470%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) (Vit. B-3) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCI) 50 mg 2500%
Folic Acid 800 mcg 200%
Vitamin B-12 200 mcg 3330%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (from D-Calcium Pantothenate) 50 mg 500%
Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Ascorbate, Calcium Citrate) 500 mg 50%
Iron (as Ferrous Bisglycinate Ferrochel®) 18 mg 100%
Iodine (from Kelp) 225 mcg 150%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Citrate, AAC*) 250 mg 60%
Zinc (from Amino Acid Chelate) 20 mg 130%
Selenium (from Selenomethiionine) 100 mcg 140%
Copper (from Amino Acid Chelate) 1 mg 50%
Manganese (from Amino Acid Chelate) 10 mg 500%
Chromium (from AAC* Chelavite®) 100 mcg 80%
Molybdenum (from Amino Acid Chelate) 50 mcg 70%
Potassium (from Potassium Chloride) 25 mg <1%
Spirulina Algae (Hawaiian) 250 mg
Dong Quai Extract (4:1) 100 mg
Eleuthero (4:1 Extract) (Eleutherococcus senticosus) (Root) 100 mg
Betaine (as Betaine HCI) 100 mg
Plant Enzymes 100 mg
Wild Yam Root Extract (6% Diosgenin) 50 mg
Royal Jelly (Freeze Dried) (6% HDA) 50 mg
Silica (from Silicon Dioxide) 50 mg
Soy Isoflavones 40% (Genestein, Daidzein, Glycitein) 30 mg
Choline (from Choline Bitartrate) 25 mg
Inositol 25 mg
PABA 25 mg
Ipriflavone 25 mg
Boron (from Amino Acid Chelate) 1 mg
Chasteberry (Vitex 10:1 Extract) 50 mg



Hair Pill...

Vitamin A -- 5000 IU
Thiamine -- 1,5 mg
Riboflavin -- 1,7 mg
Niacin -- 35 mg
Folic Acid -- 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 -- 10 mcg
Biotin -- 100 mcg
Pantothenic Acid -- 92 mg
Iodine -- 150 mcg
Zinc -- 15 mg
Copper -- 2 mg
Manganese -- 1 mg
Choline -- 60 mg
Inositol -- 125 mg
para-Amino Benzoic Acid -- 35 mg

Smile Thanks!
Renee

_________________
36 yrs old. Jewish/Italian Combo skin. Tans easily. Native Floridian. New to a skin care regime. Sad about lines under eyes, crows feet and horizontal forehead lines!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
If you want vitamins that will help with your hair, I don't think the CA Natural will do it. I am finishing up my bottle, and won't buy another. If you look at the other ingredients, you'd see a long list of fillers, too. The important vitamins that are good for hair are MSM and Biotins, and CA Natural doesn't have MSM and only 100 mg of biotins. You have to take 4 g of MSM and 3 g of Biotins a day to get results.

However to answer your questions, I think you can take both. You might want to split them, one in the AM and the other in the PM just to be on the safe side. You should see the various vitamins I eat every day and night!
Marichka
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 41
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies, what brands of vitamins do you use? I would like to start taking vitamins (and I was even able to figure out which ones I should take) but there is a huge number of brands out there - any recommendations? Thank you!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Marichka wrote:
Ladies, what brands of vitamins do you use? I would like to start taking vitamins (and I was even able to figure out which ones I should take) but there is a huge number of brands out there - any recommendations? Thank you!


I buy most if not all of my vitamins at Vitacost.com b/c they got the best prices. Their NSI brand is very good, but I always look for fillers. I try to go for the least fillers in my vitamins. I never knew about fillers until I went to see a naturopathic doctor, and she checked all my vitamins. She showed me how to look for fillers, and since then I try to be careful reading the labels. Most Costco brand vitamins can be sold cheap because they got so many fillers to increase weight.

My NSI brand MSM has no fillers. It's just the MSM and the capsules. I also try to take as much liquid form as possible, but if it tastes nasty, I won't do it. So I go for capsules or softgel just because I think it will be more digestible and useable by my body. Again that same naturopathic doctor told me that some tablets won't even get digested in your stomach and go straight to your large intestines.
Marichka
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 41
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:


I buy most if not all of my vitamins at Vitacost.com b/c they got the best prices. Their NSI brand is very good, but I always look for fillers. I try to go for the least fillers in my vitamins. I never knew about fillers until I went to see a naturopathic doctor, and she checked all my vitamins. She showed me how to look for fillers, and since then I try to be careful reading the labels. Most Costco brand vitamins can be sold cheap because they got so many fillers to increase weight.

My NSI brand MSM has no fillers. It's just the MSM and the capsules. I also try to take as much liquid form as possible, but if it tastes nasty, I won't do it. So I go for capsules or softgel just because I think it will be more digestible and useable by my body. Again that same naturopathic doctor told me that some tablets won't even get digested in your stomach and go straight to your large intestines.



I was looking at the NSI brand too (vitacost offers good prices, you're right) but not for MSM.. Do you know by any chance if NSI uses fillers for its other vitamins? And- a silly question Embarassed - what exactly the fillers are and how can you say a vitamin has fillers in it?
Thank you so much for your help!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Marichka wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:


I buy most if not all of my vitamins at Vitacost.com b/c they got the best prices. Their NSI brand is very good, but I always look for fillers. I try to go for the least fillers in my vitamins. I never knew about fillers until I went to see a naturopathic doctor, and she checked all my vitamins. She showed me how to look for fillers, and since then I try to be careful reading the labels. Most Costco brand vitamins can be sold cheap because they got so many fillers to increase weight.

My NSI brand MSM has no fillers. It's just the MSM and the capsules. I also try to take as much liquid form as possible, but if it tastes nasty, I won't do it. So I go for capsules or softgel just because I think it will be more digestible and useable by my body. Again that same naturopathic doctor told me that some tablets won't even get digested in your stomach and go straight to your large intestines.



I was looking at the NSI brand too (vitacost offers good prices, you're right) but not for MSM.. Do you know by any chance if NSI uses fillers for its other vitamins? And- a silly question Embarassed - what exactly the fillers are and how can you say a vitamin has fillers in it?
Thank you so much for your help!


It's easier to spot a vitamin with no filler:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-MSM-Methyl-sulfonylmethane

Check out the "other ingredients" list after the supplement facts: Other ingredients: Kosher gelatin capsule.

Now let's take a look at another brand:
http://www.vitacost.com/DoctorsBestBestMSM1500

Other ingredients: Contains nothing other than listed ingredients.Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate.

So fillers are anything other than the supplement you want to take. Some add rice flour and water to get the weight of the vitamins up.

The doctor's best bet brand got 3 fillers. I've seen worse.

http://www.vitacost.com/NatrolMSM This one is not bad. Other ingredients: Gelatin, Water, Magnesium Stearate.

Not all NSI brands have no fillers. I discarded NSI brands before because it got too many fillers, but even so, it was nothing compared to the CA Natural hair pills.
Marichka
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 41
Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:35 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:


It's easier to spot a vitamin with no filler:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-MSM-Methyl-sulfonylmethane

Check out the "other ingredients" list after the supplement facts: Other ingredients: Kosher gelatin capsule.

Now let's take a look at another brand:
http://www.vitacost.com/DoctorsBestBestMSM1500

Other ingredients: Contains nothing other than listed ingredients.Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate.

So fillers are anything other than the supplement you want to take. Some add rice flour and water to get the weight of the vitamins up.

The doctor's best bet brand got 3 fillers. I've seen worse.

http://www.vitacost.com/NatrolMSM This one is not bad. Other ingredients: Gelatin, Water, Magnesium Stearate.

Not all NSI brands have no fillers. I discarded NSI brands before because it got too many fillers, but even so, it was nothing compared to the CA Natural hair pills.




Bkkgirl, thank you so much for your detailed explanation! Wink
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
See my post on this thread, about middle of page where I cover suggested supplement amounts, and why you need each
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&start=25

If your main concern is hair health, focus on the following:

A Good Multi Vitamin One that you can tolerate, that meets your needs on the basics.
Protein – at least 22gr of protein a day added to diet in a drink or protein rich foods and cereals, soymilk, diary (Kaschi Go Lean Crunch, Special K High Protein etc) Helps hair growth speed, thickness, strength
Biotin – growth speed
MSM – slows shed, speeds growth, increases shine and thickness
Silica – shine and softness
EFAs (Esscential Fatty Acids/oils) for attachment issues, helps dry straw like hair, softer hair, less dry scalp

If skin is also a concern, you will need to review the other ant aging nutrients and antioxidants listed in that link.
rcascone
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 183
Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your input! I may head out and get some Biotin and MSM now. Every time I leave an EDS thread, I seem to end up at a store! Smile

_________________
36 yrs old. Jewish/Italian Combo skin. Tans easily. Native Floridian. New to a skin care regime. Sad about lines under eyes, crows feet and horizontal forehead lines!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 1346
Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
rcascone wrote:
Thanks for your input! I may head out and get some Biotin and MSM now. Every time I leave an EDS thread, I seem to end up at a store! Smile


So TRUE!!!

_________________
40, fair skinned, dark hair, blue eyes
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 1572
Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I used to take the CA pills too..boy were they horse pills Laughing . Now I just take MSM in powder form and biotin to help with the hair.

_________________
26, combination skin with oily t-zone
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 761
Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I am concerned with the total amount of Vitamin A.

Women who are or may become pregnant should not take over... I believe it is 5000 IU.

While a lot of people do take 10,000 IU it can be too much for many... and anything over that should not be taken long term.

I would suggest checking http://wholehealthmd.com for research on vitamins and supplements. It is a very thorough source that goes into depth on what to take, how much to take, possible interactions, etc, etc.

The above site can assist you in finding a multi that is good for you, as an individual, as well as direct you to what additional supplements may help specific areas that you would like to address.

For purchasing in the US, one place that I like is http://luckyvitamin.com

Take care.
Bosoxy.

_________________
Smile *****My 5 Star Rave***** Smile Just loving everything about ICE ELEMENTS!!! You HAVE to try the 2 minute miracle exfoliating gel... It is to die for!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Janson Beckett NekaDermEL (118 ml / 4 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Obagi Retinol 1.0 Cream (28 g)