Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The French Manicure
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LilLoco
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Caspers Mum; I am intrigued. I haven't had a manicure in many years. I felt it was a waste of time because the polish would chip and I would procrastinate and my nails would end up looking moth-eaten Sad . So I just don't do anything with my nails. In my line of work (optometry), I must keep my nails rather short, and I must wash my hands MANY times a day (before and after each patient). I never knew about buffing! This might be the answer. I'll also try the white pencil -- it sounds like the effect of that may be short-lived in my case, but you never know. Thanks for the tips (no pun intended)!
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
samantha185 wrote:
*hides hands under table* I can never really be bothered about my nails. Part of the reason is that my nails are paper-thin and they tear at the edges (not chip but really tear like paper) Sad Tried NailTek and all but somehow they don't really work - may harden my nails but will make them brittle and yellow sigh. So I resign myself to short normal nails Embarassed

had the same problem for years

Try Mavala's nail strengthener and you will be in for a surprise
Coco Panda

Sat May 26, 2007 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Sally Hansen has a French Manicure kit. I just bought it for about $11 Cdn. at London Drugs (I'm in Canada). It works really well and was easy to use. It has a thin tape like 'guide' that you stick to your nails before applying the white tip colour. After the white coat dries, you peel off the tape and apply the top nude coat. My nails look like I got a professional manicure. I found out after I bought the kit (which includes the guide tapes, white tip polish and nude coat polish ) that you can just buy the guide tapes by themselves - much cheaper, they sell for $3.49. You'd only need the guide tapes if you already own the polish.
Coco Panda

Sat May 26, 2007 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Oh forgot to add this tip. For anyone who has trouble growing their nails, try taking vegetal silica. It can be found in the vitamin/supplement aisle of the drugstore or vitamin store. My friend started taking it because she noticed her hair was starting to fall out on the top of her head which was resulting in some small bald patches. Her mother, a hairdresser, told her start taking vegetal silica and bought her a bottle from Sears (the department store). Much to her (pleasant) surprise, not only did her hair start growing back, but her fingernails started growing very long and very strong after two weeks. As long as I've known her, she never had any sort of length to her nails. She said they just never grew and it had been that way all her life.
Shoba
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
i never know that we can do this things to nails.
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I always keep a thin coat of Essie's Mademoiselle on my nails, but I think I am going to try the white pencil trick. Nothing bores me more than waiting for my nails to dry!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I went for a professional manicure recently and had my nails buffed to amazing glass-like gloss. The manicurist had put on some kind of cream prior to buffing my nails and they are still glossy even now, after about a week, as if 'd just got them buffed a minute ago.

She said the effects of the cream can last up to 2 weeks. I'm wondering if it is safe to use on a regular basis and and if so, what brands are good.

TIA.
wen_goldfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Where can i get the white nail pencil in Canada? I have checked Shoppers and they dont seem to have it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the white pencil and a clear topcoat many times in a pinch.
I also do not care for the long nail, talon look - To me it looks cheap. If you check out any magazine that features a classy look they will never show those big daggers!...
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my, I had forgotten about this thread thanks for bringing it back up! I still keep my nails relatively short and buffed to a natural shine but about one or 2 weeks out of the month when they get a little longer, I polish them with a pretty pink. I think I was overbuffing them and now that I give my nails a break from buffing every week or so, they grow longer and stay shinier.

Cheers,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I would also like to know if anyone can suggest a buffing cream?
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
i have brought a set of Sally Hansen nail poblish which contain one white colour and one natural color. That is nice, my friend said my nail just like brushed in nail salon
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
My grandma introduced me to the nail white pencil when I was very young (6 or 7yo). I've used them ever since (I keep 2 in my desk drawer at work so if I need a touch up I just dip the tip and freshen my nails).

She also told me before housework or gardening to scrape your nails over a bar of soap!
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 23, 2009 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I use the white pencil all the time, but I am pretty good at creating a very nice french manicure...

I am also soooo sick of women who get french manicure with acrylics and the manicurist shortens the nail bed, the nails look so fat and icky not at all classy and elegant...

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I love this post!! I'm going to try the white pencil thing now that I'm on a budget constraint! I always get my nails done "French" and I hate it when the manicurist paints the white line too thick. It looks horrendous and makes my fingers look fat. But with a little thin white line, I find it rather classic.

I only go for full color coat when I have a special even I am attending.
n1princess
5% products discount

Sat May 30, 2009 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Just a bit of information.... I have never had long nails in my life... my mom owned a nail salon for many years on long island where I worked... I wound up getting acrylics after trying many products to grow my own nails.. about a year ago I tried a product called Nailtek... an acquaintance I met had really nice nails and I made a comment about them... I guess my old profession still lingers... LOL anyhow she told me that this is what she used and I figured what the hell I would give it a try.. and wow... it actually works...there are I think 3 or 4 formulas... I started with the formula for real weak nails.. people who had fake nails.. though I have not had fake nails for over 15 years... I used I think 2 bottles of that and now I use formula 2.. I also have used Nailtique... I read that they are identical... it was a husband wife that got divorced and they both have their own companies now with 2 different names .. so either will work... and as far as buffing your nails a leather buffer works better and will not damage your nails... I put on one coat of Nailtek or Nailteque before a coat of pink... then I do a white tip shaped in a V shape with an iridescent pink over that to give it some sparkle.. I agree that dark colors over time will stain your nails.. I've seen it many times... you can sometimes use bleach to soak your nails in to remove the stains if they aren't tooo bad
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |