Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
The Yin and Yang of Tofu
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Tofu's great divide: http://www.smh.com.au/news/relationships/tofus-great-divide/2007/02/21/1171733933910.html

February 22, 2007

HE SAYS

According to Wikipedia, tofu is of Chinese origin and is made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks. Then people actually put it into their mouths and swallow. Though, it helps if it's been steeped in something else first, I understand. I understand this because every time I ask anyone to explain the attraction for tofu they say "oh, it's great when it's soaked in X or Y or Z".

Is there any other food that behaves like this? What else is there that tastes of nothing but suddenly becomes wonderful if it takes on the flavour of something else? Why not just eat the something else? What if fish were like this? "Fish? They taste of sod all but if you boil them with soy sauce ..."

Let's be honest, it's a stupid food and you're all idiots for falling for it. And good on the Chinese for coming up with it. It's their revenge for the Opium Wars: "They gave us drugs, bombed and invaded our cities, made us give them Hong Kong at a vastly reduced long-term rent - in return we'll give them something that we coagulated in an old sock, tell them it's a very old and secret Chinese recipe, see how they like that. Then we'll sit back and laugh at them for hundreds of years, the morons."

Girls eat it. Ditto some men. Those men are vegetarians and all look like they need a blood transfusion. I rest my case.

Keith Austin

SHE SAYS

Apparently, a lot of men don't like tofu. They cannot stand, so I hear, the idea of eating a meal containing this food, with some going so far as to denounce it as a source of nutrition altogether. They actually seem fearful of tofu. Physically frightened of a portion of coagulated soy milk. Terrorised, even, of a cube of bean curd that is high in calcium, iron, magnesium and vitamin B, and may or may not have been marinated in soy sauce, ginger and chilli.

Granted, there has been much written in internet blogs about tofu causing the "feminisation" of men due to its oestrogen-like chemicals called isoflavones. That might not be such a bad thing. Soy is eaten by two-thirds of the world's population and we still seem to live in a world where sexism against women lives on quite happily. And scientists who have studied the effects of men eating tofu report it is no more dangerous than other foods. If men find themselves feeling feminised after a soy burger, if they sense an urge to moisturise, dress to look good and worry about having the right shoes, it's not all bad.

Lenny Ann Low
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:55 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
Is there any other food that behaves like this? What else is there that tastes of nothing but suddenly becomes wonderful if it takes on the flavour of something else?

Yes, but you're missing something here nyonyakay; the Chinese concept of cuisine also believes texture is an important constituent and they have a much wider array; some of which like cold and slimy and/or gristly/crunchy can remain quite repugnant to the western palate despite years of trying Wink.

There's a great book which goes into all of this in intriguing detail by a woman who studied alongside top Sichuanese chefs called Sichuan Cookery by Fuchsia Dunlop.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing And I'm supposed to be Chinese ....
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing And I'm supposed to be Chinese ....

Apparantly you turn 1% Chinese every year you live in China so I suppose I'm 5% Chinese, but I think my small-town immersion gave that a boost, especially with the cuisine inflicted on me. Actually one of my mother's friends is overseas Chinese (since age 20) and she just flinches when I tell her what I've consumed - so maybe it works in reverse and now she's 60% English.

Where d'you live Laughing
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I have spent the past 20 years in Sydney, Australia.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 am      Reply with quote
Good quality tofu tastes like soy beans and does not taste of nothingness. Just like soymilk, Chinese people love freshly made tofu and soymilk for their texture and TASTE. I personally love plain tofu with a little soy sauce and green onion (doesn't have to be marinated in it). I also love tofu dessert and I haven't lived in China at all! Well I lived in HK for about 3 years of my life from birth but at the time it was still rented out Laughing

Bird's nest tastes like nothing, even more so than tofu! And don't forget the wonderful texture of jelly fish (which also probably tastes like nothing if not marinated)!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:48 am      Reply with quote
i actually like tofu now, but my BF would scream if i served it. (no chinese blood here that i know of though my eyes show there may have been a little cross-pollination way back when in russia.)

my first experience with tofu wasn't pretty though. i lived in a dorm on campus that cooked it's own food -- all vegetarians. we all had our chores to do and that week i'd drawn the lovely task of cleaning the loo. i went down to the sink in the kitchen to get the ajax and whatnot, but could not find the sponge. voila! it was there on the counter by the sink, a big gorgeous sponge. went upstairs to the bathroom, sprinkled ajax on the sponge and started scrubbing. the "sponge" immediately fell apart and as i was cussing up a storm with my hand in the toilet, there was this terrible scream from below. somebody had stolen that night's dinner. Embarassed i obviously did not admit to *anyone* what i had done and quickly flushed the evidence away.

as i said, i like tofu now....
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE Tofu, and I've never been to China...

I'm the only person I know who loves it though, I must admit.

I love the texture of it, particularly.. I get a feeling of wanting that sensation of it in my mouth again, because it's slightly intangible.

I dont know if that makes any sense to anyone..
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I loved Tofu too, before I was Chinesified. I wasn't referring to it as unpalateable - that's other unmentionables.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I had a dish in Chinatown once which I consider unmentionable, which you may think of as delicious.

For some reason I ordered crab porridge.

Crying or Very sad Confused Sad

I dont think I've ever been so horrified by anything presented to me on a plate before, or since..
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Catski - Well, that would be a Cantonese (Guangzhou) special and I really like all their porridges.

It's really organs and particularly external, sensory ones (not bothered by guts), especially cold that I'm referring to.

Oh and add sinews to that.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
"Molly eats nostrils"

Very Happy

I have this in my head now sung as a playground taunt.. Laughing

The porridge must be an aquired taste, or texture.The slimy/glutinous axis isnt one I've learned to appreciate.

My father used to eat fried brains, stuffed heart and tripe. And of course sweetbreads and pig's trotters.

England seems to have become quite squeamish about food these days. Probably due to the invention of the turkey dinosaur.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:49 am      Reply with quote
And I thought I would eat anything. No offense.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Catski - Don't taunt me Laughing

That's another fabulous book (you can see I take a bit of an interest in this area) about the divergence of French and English cuisine over the centuries and the reason why we turn our noses up at guts whereas the French are happy gobblers. Can't remember the name of it - highly recommended.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i actually like tofu now, but my BF would scream if i served it. (no chinese blood here that i know of though my eyes show there may have been a little cross-pollination way back when in russia.)

my first experience with tofu wasn't pretty though. i lived in a dorm on campus that cooked it's own food -- all vegetarians. we all had our chores to do and that week i'd drawn the lovely task of cleaning the loo. i went down to the sink in the kitchen to get the ajax and whatnot, but could not find the sponge. voila! it was there on the counter by the sink, a big gorgeous sponge. went upstairs to the bathroom, sprinkled ajax on the sponge and started scrubbing. the "sponge" immediately fell apart and as i was cussing up a storm with my hand in the toilet, there was this terrible scream from below. somebody had stolen that night's dinner. Embarassed i obviously did not admit to *anyone* what i had done and quickly flushed the evidence away.

as i said, i like tofu now....

Shouldn't this be in the topic on how to get rid of rings in your toilet? Laughing

(I can't believe you did that! Laughing )
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
thx for the info.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I was impartial to tofu until I went to Taiwan and first smelled then learned about "stinky tofu". Bleh I almost wanted to barf. I could smell it blocks away! Then I saw a program on how it was prepared and in such filthy places too with flies buzzing around everywhere. Double bleh. Who eats that?!!!!! Shock Anywhoo. I won't go near "stinky tofu" but I can still eat normal tofu if served to me. Don't go out and get it for myself anymore but don't push it to the side of my plate if in a stirfry either. Now "stinky tofu", I wouldn't go near that with a 10 foot poll (wouldn't need to 'cause the stench would find me anyway. LOL Wink )

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE TOFU!!! Fried tofu + Soy sauce + Rice = Drool

My DH, his brothers, my brothers, all love tofu. Wink
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
The stinky tofu's like a dairy free version of blue cheese - nice!
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:28 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

And ... it's great with congee (rice porridge), pickles, offal and other unmentionables, yummmmm
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:38 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
Molly wrote:

And ... it's great with congee (rice porridge), pickles, offal and other unmentionables, yummmmm

mmm... YummmmM! Drool

And tofu doesn't really have a smell.. unless it's marinated into something stinky or something.. hmm
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
Molly wrote:

weirdo's.

Laughing
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE tofu! I've been a vegetarian since I was a kid, so I got used to tofu early on. DH is Chinese American, so he likes tofu too. There's just to much to do with it--- stir fry firm tofu, put soft tofu in smoothies, etc etc... Tofu doesn't necessarily need to be eaten with other stuff either. There's a very fresh, very delicate form of tofu called yuba in Japan, and it's made fresh right at your table in the restaurant and eaten right away by itself---- delicious!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

Blue Cheese is nowhere near as bad as stinky tofu. I can actually eat blue cheese and don't mind the smell at all. But I seriously cannot come within 4 feet of stinky tofu without feeling the need to vomit. Stinky is just to kind a word for it. LOL

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I take it you are referring to its fine bouquet? Laughing Laughing Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |