Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Allergies-laundry detergent
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I've noticed there are quite a few of you, like me, with very sensitive skin. Last night, I got no sleep & am in considerable pain/itch. I used a different detergent a few weeks ago & am still suffering the ramifications. I have a rash all over my chest which I assume is reaction to the detergent. Strangely, my scalp has gotten itchy ,too.I have an emergency dermatologist appointment today. I guess I'm back to my Tide Free. Do any of you have fave detergents for sensitive skin? Thanks in advance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
oooh, I sympathise c4ward.

I'm in the UK, and I only use M&S sensitive washing products. I wouldnt dare change, it's just too itchy!

Would some antihistamine help, and some aloe gel topically?
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've taken the antihistamines. At this point, I don't dare put anything on it for fear of exascerbating the situation. I just have to hold out for 3 hours until my doctor's appointment. Thanks for the sympathy & suggestions!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I can sympathize with you. I have noticed that my skin is more sensitive and itchy to laundry detergent this time of the year than any other. Have you recently switched brands or did this just happen? I thought for a while that it was the detergent that I used but it turns out that it wasn't, it was the new shower gel that I had started using. For some reason though I only felt the itching once I laid down in bed. Strange I know. Maybe you can do a process of elimination trying to figure out if it really is the detergent or if it is some other product.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Anna that it is often stuff you use in the shower. PH neutral and SLS free works for me.

I am in the UK and I find that the stuff that's least irritant is Good Home Company (from the US) or Surecare (which can be bought at the supermarket) or if neither available then Fairy or Persil non bio. BUT the key with washing clothes for people with sensitive skin is less about the detergent and more about making sure it's all rinsed out. If your machine doesn't have an extra rinse function, try running it through again on another short wash without any detergent.
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Tide free is what I use. It's one of the changes I had to make after continually getting a rash from my sheets. Another thing I had to give up is hanging my sheets in backyard to dry in the sun. It catches too many allergens. I loved the smell of sheets dried in the sun.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I get itchy skin from some laundry detergents as well.
What I do:
Do not use any powdered detergents
I use liquid Gain and liquid Cheer for darks.
Gain fabric softener.

I know the smell from Gain can be overwhelming for some, but I love it!

HTH!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Strangely, I'm allergic to the deep hair conditioner I left on for a few hours on Monday. I've gotten topical cream & Zytec. The rash has improved .

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
A friend of mine's father got a boil on his back the the doctors claimed was from the laudry detergent. They reccomended Arm&Hammer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going on a lotion "fast" until this rash is gone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
All Free and Clear! (Liquid)
...and use an unscented fabric softener, skip it altogether, or try tennis balls to fluffify your clothes in the dryer.

Many laundry products give me a horrible itchy rash that lasts FOREVER! Not sure what causes it, but I know where you're coming from!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
Strangely, I'm allergic to the deep hair conditioner I left on for a few hours on Monday. I've gotten topical cream & Zytec. The rash has improved .

Yikes! Can you tell us which one? I hate it when you are excited to try something out and you end up suffering a week because of it!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:07 am      Reply with quote
c4ward -- just wanted to thank you for bringing this subject up. in the states, i always used Arm & Hammer and never had a particular problem i'm battling with. it seems that when i'm exposed to something i'm allergic to, my lower neck and upper chest gets rosy red and looks (doesn't feel) irritated. i stopped wearing my necklace (i can only seem to wear platinum) and have tried various creams, etc., in an effort to calm it down. nothing's worked. i started thinking it was just age.

then this thread was started.... this problem really came out in all it's glory once i hit paris. what's the difference here? the water for one. but also the world's worst washer/dryer combo that seems to neither well. i started to suspect it was the awful detergent my boyfriend buys, but that change alone hasn't helped. i think now it's the fact that the detergent just stays in the fabric forever and if i don't pull the clothes out immediately after, they start to smell all moldy.

i am going to try the double-washing, the second being only a rinse, and try to get true hypoallergenic bio detergent (rather than the one for babies i'm using) and pay closer attention to getting the clothes out immediately. this may not help completely solve my problem, but it will surely help a lot.

so, again, many thanks for bringing this subject up. i was working so hard to fix the damage that i forgot completely about searching for other problems that might be causing it.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the UK too, I use Persil sensitive and so far it works great. I always use the extra rinse cycle though to make sure as much of the detergent comes out as possible.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I've been lucky that I have never had a problem with detergent itself but moreso fabric softener. My favourite is Downy April Fresh - I can't stand the scents of others as they really irritate me. A good natural fabric softener though is to mix some baking soda with your favourite Essential Oils to give it a nice scent. As EOs are expensive this is definitely not the cheapest route but you may want to try the baking soda at least to see if that makes a difference.

There is also a good natural brand here called 7th Generation that makes laundry detergents, natural cleansing products and also personal hygiene items and baby wipes. I've used the wipes and think they're great. I don't know where you live but in Canada the line is sold at health food stores as well as some grocery stores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
My husband and I both have sensitive skin, so we switched to natural laundry detergent. Fortunately, that did the trick and neither of us has had a reaction since. We've used the 7th Generation brand Wildflower mentioned as well as bio-kleen and ecover. All worked well.

My favorite fabric softener now is just plain white vinegar. It works beautifully. The only disadvantage is that it leaves no discernible scent, so those who like a bit of fragrance would need to add some kind of EO.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
A huge thank you to all of you & your advice!
I appreciate it more than I can say!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm allergic to Arm&Hammer detergent, Sad.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I also try to use more natural detergent, so we have been using Ecover. It is sold at Whole Foods. My only problem that it does not work too well with whites. Does anyone has a better natural recommendation?

TIA,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Sigma, I've noticed the same thing with the natural detergents I've used. I've had success with supplementing with an oxygen bleach. The natural detergent brand I'm using now (biokleen) makes one. (They also make a product called bac-out, which is unbelievably good at removing stains and odors.)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |