Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which is more irritating : chemical or manual exfoliation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I just received my sample of EpidermxII, and am wondering whether using this nightly as recommended will be too harsh in the long run. It really seems that way to me. I do use daily leave on AHA/BHAs, but I like to do twice weekly deep exfoliation treatments - now I'm currently using Zia's Ultimate Exfoliant for that. Which do you guys prefer? Chemical or manual?
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin, so I stay away from chemical exfoliants. They make my skin red. But that's just me. Sorry I am not familar with the products you mentioned.

Good luck Smile
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Faith, for me the harsher treatment is manual. It causes broken capillaries on me so I avoid it. Currently I use Retin-A .05% and can handle it well. I also use an AHA to deal with the Retin-A flakes though I do understand though those that find this too much. I started doing this every other night in the beginning and back then it was only the Retin-A with a basic moisturizer and not the AHA. I added that later. If you are concerned I would recommend starting slowly and building up. Every other night or even every third night might be better for you in the beginning.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
At first I thought using EP-II everyday would be too much for my skin but my skin loves it. The amount of EP-II you use can be easily adjusted to be stronger or less strong. Just play with it and see how your skin likes it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin and find manual exfoliation harsher on my skin, but I do find I still sometimes get a few broken capillaries her and there when using a chemical exfoliant.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have normal combo skin and I use EPII, Clarisonic and IS Active (AHA/BHA) with great results. No flakes or redness at all.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I am using the Epidermxll nightly, and I don't think it's too harsh at all.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I like how manual exfoliation feels, since I think I can control the situation better. I have sensitive skin, so I haven't tried professional microdermabrasion yet, but I use OTC products that are somewhat granular and gentle.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:58 am      Reply with quote
I don't think I'll ever go for chemical exfoliation - suspect the chemicals used for the process might just result in side effects that will take forever to recover from Question I usually just use normal exfoliation scrubs/masks or the japanese face wash cloth. I think such gentle home exfoliating gives about the same effect as the chemical exfoliations, especially if you exfoliate regularly Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Either chemical or manual exfoliation can be irritating if you over do it. Please be kind to your skin and practise moderation. You should be attuned to your skin so you know when to pull back on a particular treatment.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
Either chemical or manual exfoliation can be irritating if you over do it. Please be kind to your skin and practise moderation. You should be attuned to your skin so you know when to pull back on a particular treatment.

So true nyonyakay,
Good advice that's applicable to all skincare products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:

That's the truth.
Everybody have their own nature.
Therefore, we have million skin care for bring money out of our bank account. Laughing
Although, we always love to tried all and spend money for them Cool .

nyonyakay, Thank you for your nice opinion.

BTW, I like chemical exfoliation.
I feel my skin will smooth than manual. Surprised
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:

I truely agree with this statement. I have very sensitive thin skin, so either chemical or manual exfoliation is bad for me if I overdo it. Most important thing for me is to listen to my skin. However, I personally prefer manual to chemical exfoliation as I tend to be allergic or reactive to the chemicals in chemical exfoliation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I prefer chemical peel to manaul. I always use 12% AHA. It do not harm your face and also if you have sensitive skin you can choose lower % of AHA.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I was also gravitating towards chemical, but so far my sample of EpidermxII has been wonderful. I haven't gotten any irritation so far but my skin has improved dramatically. Come to think of it, alot of chemical exfoliants have irritated me.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Most manual exfoliants are too irritating for me and I get more broken caps.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer chemical. Something with BHA/AHA. Scrub make my pores look wide.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

I think that it really depends on skin type, type of product and product use.

I have sensitive skin and use products that work well on my skin but even with a nice natural slow release glycolic, if I were to use it daily my skin would get dry and flaky and my very silky smooth manual exfoliant could be overdone if I were to use a more aggressive massage over my face rather than the gentle one that I use...

I do believe that exfoliation can be overdone, even by the tougher skinned people, and caution to not overdo it whatever is used as more is not always better.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 am      Reply with quote
I think Chemical is more irritating.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:06 am      Reply with quote
I actually use both manual and chemical, alternating nightly between EpidermxII and I Feel Pretty 5%BHA/10%AHA. No irritation and my pores are clean, clear and skin is smooth. I've never used anything strong enough to actually cause peeling and don't think I need to.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Don't do manual if you have thin skin. I didn't know any better a year ago and end up with broken cap on my cheeks from manual exploitation.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Stem Youth Serum (50 ml) Janson Beckett NekaDermEL (118 ml / 4 floz) Amazing Cosmetics Line Smoother + Primer (15 ml / 0.5 floz)