Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Please explain why my face is reflective
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
This has been a long-time annoyance for me. After I wash my face, my skin is literally ridiculously shiny. As in reflective. Moisturizer tones it down a bit, but not enough for me to leave the house (or even the bathroom) without feeling like my face is a big round highway reflector.
I'm assuming this means my face is dry/tight, but if I glop on more moisturizer, I break out (I'm already using a mdeium weight cream on my acne prone skin). Oils have not worked on me so far, all have broken me out -- including emu and jojoba.
The most annoying thing is the only way to get rid of the shine is foundation or a heavy powder (light powders seems to need oil to stick to). any ideas, my brilliant and beautiful EDS babes?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
Reflective I usually associate with oily skin. Sure your skin isn't oily? If you don't do anything to your skin after cleansing for 1/2 hour, does it feel tight? Or can you see oil?

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
ha, no, it's matte by the end of the day. only shiny when I wash it. If I don't put on any moisturizer or anything after I wash my face, in half an hour it will be painfully dry and tight (and still shiny).
I've only ever seen oil on my nose, when it's over 80 degrees.
btw I use philosophy purity cleanser, which I never thought of as a "drying" cleanser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:48 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
ha, no, it's matte by the end of the day. only shiny when I wash it. If I don't put on any moisturizer or anything after I wash my face, in half an hour it will be painfully dry and tight (and still shiny).
I've only ever seen oil on my nose, when it's over 80 degrees.
btw I use philosophy purity cleanser, which I never thought of as a "drying" cleanser.

I think I may know what you mean. It's kinda shiny because the skin is very tight, and dry but in one piece, not flaky. Am I right? If so, I think you should first try a milder cleanser. Your cleanser is probably too much for you so it dries your skin out. Also use a good toner after you clean your face, before your moistrurizer.

I hope this helps Smile
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:02 am      Reply with quote
As j0g6345 suggests maybe try a different cleanser? An oil-based or creme cleanser one would be the one I recommend for dry skin. Neutrogena has a cream one (avoid MAC, way too over drying) or I Feel Pretty Gentle Cleanser? I have the clarifying one and even though I have dry-ish skin I can use that with no problems, so your face might like that too.

And let us know what the rest of your skin care routine is (including brands)? And are you drinking enough water?

Dry skin sucks, worst than oily I think to treat.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote
I've had the same problem before. At first, I thought my skin was oily and that's why it was reflective shiny. Then I realized it's because my skin was soooo dry and dehydrated and tight. I would suggest changing face cleanser first thing. I did switch from Shu Uemura to Yon-Ka Cleansing Milk and The Organic Pharmacy Rose Cleansing Gel which helped a great deal. I started taking Evening Primrose Oil every morning and drinking a lot more water. My skin has gotten better since, but I wouldn't say it's yet in good condition. Hope that helps.

P.S. I used Philosophy cleanser years ago, and found it to be very very drying and irritating and my skin was dripping grease back then.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:43 am      Reply with quote
If it's just when you wash your face, then yes I also think your cleanser might be too harsh for your skin.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
two words:
creamy cleanser!

--avalange

p.s. osea makes a wonderful cleansing milk; so does Jurlique, I'm told, and Living Nature has an awesome enzymatic creamy cleanser too. The same thing happens to me if I use a toner with alcohol!

p.p.s. you might also want to invest in a good moisturizer that creates a slight barrier on your skin, and mix it with HA if it doesn't already have it in it to begin with. Again, Osea's advanced protection cream is my FAVE, but you can also use seakelp bioferment and HA mixed in with a nice, light, nourishing moisturizer, too. Also, flax gel is another that will nourish and prtect your skin. nourishing cleansers + protective moisturizers = no more tight, 'reflective' skin!
Good luck!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I'd say the same as others, that you should try using another cleanser. I found that when I switched to using a different cleanser my face was less oily but more hydrated.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 am      Reply with quote
good advice ladies. I originally started using the philosophy because I do like a cleanser with a lot of oils in it, but I guess that's no guarantee that it's hydrating. I will definitely look into a switch. And also will look into adding an HA additive to my moisturizer (dermalogica smoothing cream, so far the only heavier cream I can use without breaking out...there are a lot I'd like to try but it's hard to get samples)
I am taking evening primrose oil and HA capsules in the hopes that this will help, but all my skin is ridoculously dry right now, so I think it's just damage control at this point.
I think this would be a lot easier to solve if I didn't break out so easily. My skin doesn't like a lot of serums or layers, so it's a bit tough. Definitely will look into the Osea, Jurlique and Yon-ka, I've been meaning to try all of those for a long time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
My face is the same, there are patches of shiny taut skin, it is from long term over cleansing, so it may help to use a non-foaming cleanser.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Yep - I agree with the previous posts. You're stripping your skin of it's natural mantle and the result is super-shiny, tight skin. You want it to be clean but not stripped. I have a tendency to break out in the t-zone and Target's 2% Salicylic Acid cleanser (Neutrogena Rapid Defense copycat) works very well in controlling the breakouts without making my face look like a mirror. I am also using a new lotion called Perfect Skin from Cellularskinrx that "perfects" my skin. It leaves my skin just slightly matte and reflects light away from wrinkles (on this 40's plus chiquita that's a plus). I like it alot.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |