Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Results from using silk and rice powder for a month
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:54 am      Reply with quote
I had been following Hpjrt's thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15674&start=0 with much interest, and decided to take the plunge and try using a pure silk/rice formulation on my skin on my face both night and day and the results are very encouraging for anyone else who was apprehensive about using powders on the skin at night.

My reasons for wanting to use a powder on the skin at night was for oil absorption. Despite going to bed with a well moisturised face, I often wake up with a greasy and itchy face because of oil build up after 8+ hours of no blotting.

I made a mixture of roughly 50/50 pure silk and rice powder and applied generous amounts on my face after all facial products were well absorbed, focusing more on t-zone and temple area. I do not get any dry or taut feeling on my skin and actually wake up feeling incredibly comfortable, without the urge to immediately wash my face to get rid of that 'slick' feeling - oily gals will know exactly what I'm talking about!

I had been a devout fan of Jurlique's silk dust (a holy grail for all oily skinned people who don't want to use chemical oil blockers) but like many other fans I couldn't justify paying around $30 for a jar of the stuff every 5-6 weeks, plus there were fillers in the powder which made repurchasing even less justifiable. I NEEDED to find a more natural solution, the silk dust would often dry my skin out so I couldn't apply too generously at once.

So after using this silk/rice mixture on my face day and night for more than a month, I can positively conclude that such a mixture does not cause blocked pores or blemishes, and just makes my face feel incredibly comfortable during the hot humid summer time. During this experiment, I did experience patches of stubborn spots and purging blemishes caused by stress, heat, continuous use of Dr H masks ... BUT if these were to be caused by the powder, the spots would have been in the form of heavily blocked pores (not pimples) and they would have occured throughout the entire experiment.

One of my worst skin habits is sleeping exclusively on my side, which means both sides of my face are continuously buried in some sort of fabric (and not helped by late night wet hair either!) but I have never had issues of those blocked pores/milia like bumps as I had when I was using an oil based skin care system. As Hpjrt had commented on her thread, she felt that using such a powder actually helped form a "barrier" against things like lint, dirt, bacteria etc. I agree with her observations as well, my clear pores are the testament to this almost incredulous claim.

I did not attempt to take a "breather" and not go without powder throughout the entire month, I didn't want to break such a comforting habit of having a matte smooth face going to bed and waking up, but my skin never became troubled by the powder so I did not see the need to stop.

Occassionally I use silk dust during the day, and sometimes at night - again with no side effects. If I am at home, I don't use MMU for extra oil absorption, so every 3-4 hours I blot any oil breakthrough and re-apply the powder to keep my face feeling comfortable.

In the coming winter months, I plan to make a new formulation with at least 70% silk powder to prevent over-drying my skin. I LOVE silk powder, it is soft and creamy and balances the skin so well, no matter how much you apply it could never dry your skin out.

I bought my ingredients in semi-bulk sized bags fromwww.fromnaturewithlove.com - they sell a very fine grade silk powder at reasonable prices, plus they have the rice powder which is in the same texture as the silk dust.

I hope to encourage all those sensitive and oily skinned gals out there to try making their own natural powders, to avoid over priced talc based finishing powders for oil control, and to experiment a little with using a light dusting of silk/rice powder for comfort and oil control!
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! You make me want to try this! I am very close to purchasing silk powder from GOW, but was wondering about rice powder - is this the same as rice flour? We have a TON of Asian grocery stores here and rice flour is very cheap... so if it's the same thing then I'm going out tomorrow to buy it! lol.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi miranets,

I'm so glad that you "followed in my footsteps" and tried this yourself! Very Happy

It always seems so difficult to be convincing when one is declaring the success of something so simple ... when wearing "powder" at night seems to contrary to everything we've ever thought! Laughing

I'm so happy that you have had positive results as well.

I've never managed to get my hands on rice powder before ... so I just may get some from your source. Very Happy

Thanks again for posting your success!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Great, miranets!

I made the silk powder/pearl powder/zinc powder mix that Mary thought up, and I've been using it at night now for a couple of months, since my BE Rare Minerals ran out.

I'm sold on it. It stops my pores from enlarging.

Love it. One thing I miss from the Rare Minerals though is the colour. I bought one with some colour in it, and I'd go to bed and wake up unable to see my various spots and blemishes, which kept me cheerful..
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have also looked in local supermarkets for "rice flour" but from touch the grain is very rough, so I am not sure if your local supermarket provides something more refined. The stuff I got from FNWL is "medium" grade but it is fine enough that it does not fall straight off the face.

At one stage I also considered trying some Rare Minerals, but in "transparent" because I really didn't see a purpose for colour at night. BUT when I read the ingredients, there was NO WAY I could shell out, even from cheaper sources, around $60 for a jar of the stuff. There were too many dubious ingredients in the "transparent" version, like mica, talc, all fillers.

I did buy some ascorbic acid and intended to add to my face powder, as Rare Minerals had it too. But I'm worried about inhaling or getting the crystals in my eyes...
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I've been using silk dust from Everyday Minerals as a makeup primer for the last few months with great results - what are the benefits of adding rice powder? And applying powder at night doesn't prevent your skin from "breathing" ?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi athena123,

In the other thread about this [the one mentioned in miranets' first post here I think], I likened the using my primer at night as being like cotton gloves. The skin on your hands can breathe with the cotton gloves on ... but those gloves still preclude dirt from getting at your hands. Very Happy

I've found it a great boost to clear skin to wear, in my case, silk & pearl powder at night ... and am so glad that miranets followed with her own test ... with similar results that I found. Very Happy

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I've been using silk dust from Everyday Minerals as a makeup primer for the last few months with great results - what are the benefits of adding rice powder? And applying powder at night doesn't prevent your skin from "breathing" ?

For anyone with oily skin, rice powder is a life saver. It absorbs the excess oil on your skin but doesn't oxidise (change colour to cause your skin to look lifeless) and it is a much better alternative to silicons and talc - which are known to be potential skin clogging and irritating ingredients.

Rice powder is just fine grit, it would not coat the skin in a layer to prevent it from breathing, whereas the rich creams and oils we use are probably a bigger culprit. And as Hpjrt says, it helps to prevent clogged mores rather than what we would intuitively think - powder at night = blocked pores.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
thank you for sharing miranets. i think it's incredible that you are trying something new that sounds so healthy as well as economical. this sounds like something i will try when my skin gets oilier for summer. have you tried adding scent to the powder also? i remember carrie posting ways on how to scent powder using diffuser strips and EOs.

Kristen

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Actually, this is something I would like to know about.
How can I scent a body powder using E.O.'s?

Any suggestions?

45, normal skin, formerly break out prone, normalised through OCM, CP's, Retin-A, emu oil, very few fine lines, some sagging in jawline on the way to be corrected thanks to Ageless, Facercise, Flexeffect, delighted with pucker-up, dermarolling , knuckle massage, tanaka massage, cross-stretching, facial detox
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 am      Reply with quote
I'd love to try this powder but lately my dry sensitive skin's been giving me fits. If I'm not getting clogged pores and pimples, I'm getting itchy red patches so I'm afraid the silk/pearl powders would just dry me out more. Has anyone who's not oily tried this?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
lilome wrote:
Actually, this is something I would like to know about.
How can I scent a body powder using E.O.'s?

Any suggestions?
You can scent any type of face or body powder with Eos or fragrance oils by putting a few drops of EO on a diffuser strip or piece of thick, heavy felt then placing the strip in the container with the powder and TIGHTLY close the lid and leave it to “season” the powder for a day or two.

Obviously you don’t want the oil/s on the diffuser strip to make contact with the powder, so what I do is stretch a piece of cheese cloth or cheap, cotton muslin over the mouth of the container, securely it with a thick/strong rubberband, then putting my diffuser strips ON TOP of the cheese cloth before fastening the container lid. This allows the scent of the EOs to permeate the powder without actually making contact with it.

Of course, if some of the oil/s accidentally *do* make contact with your powder and make it clumpy, just run the powder through a regular kitchen flour sifter to re-disperse the powder into...powder format!

Presto, you’ve now got a custom-scented face or body powder.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:
I'd love to try this powder but lately my dry sensitive skin's been giving me fits. If I'm not getting clogged pores and pimples, I'm getting itchy red patches so I'm afraid the silk/pearl powders would just dry me out more. Has anyone who's not oily tried this?
I believe Sormuimui uses silk/pearl powder and she's acne-prone but with DEHYDRATED skin. The silk powder is self-adjusting so it PREVENTS you from drying out. Mary can explain it much better, but basically the silk powder absorbs oil in the greasy spots and provides moisture in the dry spots.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Yes I have dehydrated skin, it's tight, it flakes but I do still have an oily t-zone and super acne prone.

The silk/pearl stuff would feel drying on first application so you have to apply very sparingly but after a few uses it won't feel dry anymore. It's sort of like your skin gets used to it or that it has self-adjusted to your skin.

However I would prefer Pearl Creme for every other purpose though except for daytime oil control. Pearl Creme actually creates a protective barrier as well.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
However I would prefer Pearl Creme for every other purpose though except for daytime oil control. Pearl Creme actually creates a protective barrier as well.
My sentiments, as well. Plus, the Pearl Creme gets an additional moisture boost for those w/ dry skin from the added carrier oils -- click here to read more about it:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17656&highlight=pearl+paste

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Yes I have dehydrated skin, it's tight, it flakes but I do still have an oily t-zone and super acne prone.

The silk/pearl stuff would feel drying on first application so you have to apply very sparingly but after a few uses it won't feel dry anymore. It's sort of like your skin gets used to it or that it has self-adjusted to your skin.

Thanks sormuimui. But I'm a little confused by what you said about daytime oil control - is it that you use the pearl cream all the time, except during the day?

CareKate - I was just wondering if you've heard back from anyone that the pearl cream helped soothe dry irritated skin?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:
CareKate - I was just wondering if you've heard back from anyone that the pearl cream helped soothe dry irritated skin?
Check your PM inbox.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I use pearl creme both AM and PM. If I'm out for a long day sometimes I use the pearl silk dust as a primer/finisher for my MMU to provide oil control. Pearl Creme is like a treatment with a number of benefits, some members have found that by using pearl creme their own oil production has decreased (check pearl creme review thread). However the pearl silk dust is more like a finishing dust that PROVIDES you with benefits of both pearl and silk powders.

HTH
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think scenting any face powders are more for "sensory pleasure" rather than physical benefits. Of course part of putting on any face product means to enjoy its texture and scent, but rice and silk powder have little or very neutral scents, so I don't really mind having a scentless powder.

As for Carekate's method of scenting powder, it seems the least "messy" way, but I have also read another method which is to actually put all your powders through a food blender and drip 2-3 drops of EOs into the powder. The speed of the mixer will disperse the oil and ensure even distribution and no clumps. I haven't tried this way yet, but I imagine the makers of Silk Dust to do it via some other means because they are producing bulk quantities.

About using powders on dehydrated skin, if you opt for pure silk powder it would not have any drying effects since it does not try to draw water away from the skin.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi miranets,

Yes ... I think you're right about the scenting of the powder being more esthetic than beneficial ... Very Happy On the other hand, sometimes the esthetic lifts one's mood ... and that's a benefit in itself! Laughing

However, I like your other technique for scenting the powder ... and will try it for my next batch. Thanks for the tip! Laughing

As for using a Silk and Pearl mix powder for dehydrated skin ... miranets is right ... silk powder tries to balance your skin ... so dehydrated skins will actually benefit from the application of silk powder.

And someone was asking about dry skin and the Pearl Paste/Cream. I have several people whose skins are much drier than mine and they love what I call my "rich" Pearl Paste ... it has rosehip seed oil in it which is a lovely oil for dry/mature skin and has proven anti-aging properties. Smile

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
stardust wrote:
Check your PM inbox.

CareKate - PM'd you. Hopefully it got through. Smile
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Superb review Miranets! How does your blend of 50/50 silk and rice powder compare to Jurlique's silk dust in terms of oil control? My face is an oil rig and with Jurlique it stays quite matte for a whole 8-hour work day.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Dollbird

Well I was at first afraid that using even 50% rice powder would be incredibly drying for my skin, but since it is summer here and quite humid, I have found that this ratio is probably more suitable for cooler weather or combo-skinned people. I wouldn't hesitate to use pure rice powder on my t-zone during summer or for long days. Silk dust is made of starches like rice and has no real silk, so by adding silk (or pearl) it is actually reducing the intensity of oil absorption.

I prefer to go without MMU if possible, so most of the week I am just using this powder and after about 4-5 hours I have a slight shine but I don't consider blotting a "sin" anymore - I used to think to blot meant your face was TOO oily and needed more oil control, now I just blot and reapply where ever for a fresh face.

I have some old Jurlique silk dust jars and keep one in a bag and at the bf's house, but at home I like to be luxurious and keep it in a low and wide blue/gold Limoges trinket box with a lid Very Happy
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Wow, miranets, I'll just call you Miss Experiment! Thanks for the thorough review.

miranets wrote:
As Hpjrt had commented on her thread, she felt that using such a powder actually helped form a "barrier" against things like lint, dirt, bacteria etc. I agree with her observations as well, my clear pores are the testament to this almost incredulous claim.

This idea alone makes me really want to try using a powder at night. I am a stomach and occasional side sleeper so my face is always in contact with something. I change my pillow cases every two nights (flip my pillow over after a night) because of this.

miranets wrote:

I do not get any dry or taut feeling on my skin and actually wake up feeling incredibly comfortable, without the urge to immediately wash my face to get rid of that 'slick' feeling - oily gals will know exactly what I'm talking about!

Boy, do I ever. My nose will especially be so slick that my plastic rimmed glasses, which I immediately throw on after I wake up, will slide down my nose before I make it through half of my breakfast. (I usually get up and eat before I shower).

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi miranets,

Taking my experiment and yours one step further ... I decided that utilizing your technique for fragrancing, I thought ... "Why not use the same technique for adding salicylic acid to the mix?"

So ... I mixed up a batch of 40% S.A. ... and I put 12 [I think] drops of it into my Silken Pearl Primer [without sunscreen ... which the version I use for my overnight treatments] ... and blended, blended, blended.

I have it in my jar ... and it feels fine. I'll let you know if I notice anything positive or negative.

Now I don't know what percentage of SA that would give to my powder ... but I'm hoping that it might give me something around 2% ... which is a good percentage for every night use.

So thanks for that tip ... it got me thinking!

Mary

ps ... Isn't this what's great about this DIY forum? I start out by trying to see if there's any difference between my primer and Rare Minerals ... you follow my experiment with one of your own ... Carrie explains how she scents powders ... you give an alternate approach ... and that gets me thinking ... Laughing

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |