Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Flakies and Oily skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin except for the area right around my mouth but for some reason I have flakes all over my face. I have tried manually exfoliating and it doesn't seem to improve it at all. I actually avoid wearing makeup because you can see the flakes and acne worse with makeup on. I thought the major flakies only happened to dry skin? It hasn't changed even when I change face cleanser etc. I am doing OCM right now (not loving it but trying to stick with it for a month). Anyway, the chemical exfoliants kind of scare me since manual ones tend to hurt and even though I'm oily which most people associate with thick tough skin my skin seems to be sensitive. Any help is appreciated.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
If you're not into acids for exfoliating, have you considered plant enzyme products, eg. papaya enzyme peels, pumpkin enzyme peels, pineapple enzymes, etc.?

I find they are more gentle and still do the job. You will NEVER get a chemical burn from these if you forget to wash them off.

Sorry I can't recommend any because I make my own.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, mirth, I think you have flakes because your skin is not hydrated enough. Oily skin can get dehydrated too, and it's the worst. So three things you should do, one is to hydrate your skin well. A good moisturzing mask and a good moisturizer will help. Second stop exfoliating your skin too much especially since it's sensitive already. Once it's hydrated enough, you can do mild exfoliations once or twic a week and the flakes should be gone. Third, a good oil control product may help your skin too.

I hope this helps. Good luck Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 am      Reply with quote
How about Epidermxll scrub? I love that stuff, I think you will too. Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:42 am      Reply with quote
world of mirth--it sounds like you have dehydrated skin. it is oily but still flaking. I had the same problem up until recently. I found that incorporating pearl powder with liquid beta glucans into my moisturizer has eliminated flaking which I thought would never go away even with acids.

Here is solarkat's blog that explains a lot about dehydrated skin which I found extremely informative:

http://solarkateco.blogspot.com/2006/07/natural-skin-care-routinedehydrated.html

HTH, Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I never thought that skin could be dehydrated and oily... that sounds... cruel.

So how are the pearl powder and the beta glucans supposed to help? I read the blog and didn't see them mentioned.

I also thought about the Epidermx II but I am worried that I am would just be wasting my money which is usually what I end up doing on skin care. Rolling Eyes

What is a good hydrating mask that won't turn me into an oil slick?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
hi world of mirth,

I know what you mean. For the longest time, i was wondering about the skin types and how mine never fit in with the straight descriptions.

I forgot to say that the pearl mattifies me and gives me a much more even tone. There is a thread you might be of interest to you:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17656

The thread focuses on carekate's version of pearl powder cream, but i find that i like making my own better as carekate's version requires me to use a second moisturizer on top and is harder for me to spread.

i simply love incorporating the liquid oat beta glucans into my creams and serums and for some reason, it gets rid of flakeys. others have reported plumper skin and BGs can stimulate collagen and soothe skin. there are also a wealth of other benefits:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19426

i also have the epidermx II and it is a nice scrub but i think you can get other quality products for a better price.

i found that the best bath store's dead sea salt salt scrub does almost the same thing and you get 4 times as much product for just a little more money.

i plan to make my own scrub actually when i run out with conrumdum crystals. it doesn't seem that hard, i think the main thing is buying quality crystals.

at this point, i seriously don't have an oil slick face with dry patches anymore. it is amazing.

i am sorry but i don't use a hydrating mask really. maybe someone else has suggestions?

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
world~of~mirth wrote:
I have oily skin except for the area right around my mouth but for some reason I have flakes all over my face. I have tried manually exfoliating and it doesn't seem to improve it at all. I actually avoid wearing makeup because you can see the flakes and acne worse with makeup on. I thought the major flakies only happened to dry skin? It hasn't changed even when I change face cleanser etc. I am doing OCM right now (not loving it but trying to stick with it for a month). Anyway, the chemical exfoliants kind of scare me since manual ones tend to hurt and even though I'm oily which most people associate with thick tough skin my skin seems to be sensitive. Any help is appreciated.

Hello world~of~mirth,
When I got flakes from using strong actives I thought I needed a great moisturizer mask that can make those flakes disappear. Unfortunately that wasn't the answer to flaking skin. Thalgo's Moisture Quench mask was great but the effect is very temporary.
What you need is a gentle exfoliator that you can use everyday. E.g., EP-II, Jurlique Face Wash Cream, Dr. H CC. You also need to find a great moisturizer that provide enough hydration but not oily. E.g., Chrysalyx, jojoba oil, rosehip oil etc.
I also think you might benefit from using Asprin Mask. There are many versions on the DIY section.
I hope this helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
world of mirth,

I know a lot of people use a scrub everyday, but I would not use it everyday. i know amy the creator of epidermx recommends using it everyday, but i think this is way too harsh for me and i remember tamgirl reporting that she got spider veins and thought it was due to using the scrub daily. I if you can avoid it, i would and stick to 2-3 times a week.

wildcat mentions asprin masks which i also like doing. i bought mine from carekate and she also the recipe posted in the DIY thread and i really like it a lot.

i find that since finding a cream that works for me, i have to do less manual, chemical or mask exolifiants.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I do use the aspirin mask and jojoba oil is part of my OCM. I haven't really seen an improvement in the flakes with these but have seen an improvement w/blackheads.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
world of mirth, you did remind me they don't seem that the asprin mask does not seem to work for flakes in the long run.

what did keep my flakes away was the jan marini bioglycolic lotion but i don't think it's a product suitable for sensitive skin. it mattified by skin but was something i only used at night. i haven't had to use the JM for a couple weeks now since my new face cream is now keeping the flakes at bay.

i have heard that you can also use a microfiber cloth to keep the flakies away:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=gardenofwisdom&msg=1011.38

it's not a review on the cloths, but Jen mentions them and has said they are great at removing flakies. i haven't tried them yet, but plan to one of these days if my flakies return.

HTH, Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I found more discussion on the microfiber cloths:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=gardenofwisdom&msg=563.7

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help! I'm trying to figure out exactly how I want to go right now.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17656

The thread focuses on carekate's version of pearl powder cream...
Actually, that thread focuses on HPJRT's verion of the "pearl paste" -- she was the one that originated it, I was merely the messenger spreading her oracle! For the record, I've never posted my exact recipe for Pearl Creme....

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |