Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Don't have time to wait 30 mins after BHA in the morning
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
A cleanser with a pH of 5.5 allows you to apply your BHA/AHA without an ACV toner or a wait time (you still have to wait the 30 minutes after, but at least you don't have to wait 20 minutes prior, too). If you have a cleanser with a higher pH, you need to let the skin return to it's normal pH before applying the BHA/AHA (or it raises the pH of the BHA/AHA, thereby rendering it less effective) - and they can sometimes be drying (they are for me - make my skin feel really tight). Lower pH's sometimes cause problems like listed earlier. The 5.5 pH seems to be a good one because it's not too low or too high to cause issues, and it's in a range that is good for use of BHA/AHA products.

Diana Yvonne's website has a list of the pH of some cleansers. Drugstore.com sometimes lists the pH. Alternatively, you can email the manufacturer, or just get some pH strips & test it yourself.

I know that GeoGrafx's tea-tree & blue azulene cleansers have a pH of about 5.5, as do the IFP cleansers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Kim!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
A cleanser with a pH of 5.5 allows you to apply your BHA/AHA without an ACV toner or a wait time (you still have to wait the 30 minutes after, but at least you don't have to wait 20 minutes prior, too). If you have a cleanser with a higher pH, you need to let the skin return to it's normal pH before applying the BHA/AHA (or it raises the pH of the BHA/AHA, thereby rendering it less effective) - and they can sometimes be drying (they are for me - make my skin feel really tight). Lower pH's sometimes cause problems like listed earlier. The 5.5 pH seems to be a good one because it's not too low or too high to cause issues, and it's in a range that is good for use of BHA/AHA products.

Diana Yvonne's website has a list of the pH of some cleansers. Drugstore.com sometimes lists the pH. Alternatively, you can email the manufacturer, or just get some pH strips & test it yourself.

I know that GeoGrafx's tea-tree & blue azulene cleansers have a pH of about 5.5, as do the IFP cleansers.

Hello Kim,
I am just too lazy to contact manufacturer and I don't have any pH strips. So, by any chance if you know what's the pH of Cetaphil cleanser for sensitive skin? I remember reading it somewhere that say the pH is too high or its a horrible cleanser but I have used it for years without problem. But, I would like to know if its time for a change.
Thanks first,
Wild Cat

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know the pH of the Cetaphil for sensitive skin (is that a bar or a liquid?), but here is the link to DY's page with some other cleansers (if anyone is interested):
http://www.dianayvonne.com/category/11.thephofcommoncleanser/

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
I don't know the pH of the Cetaphil for sensitive skin (is that a bar or a liquid?), but here is the link to DY's page with some other cleansers (if anyone is interested):
http://www.dianayvonne.com/category/11.thephofcommoncleanser/

Thanks Kim,
Its liquid. I will check out the DY site.

Okay, the DY site said Cetaphil's pH is 6.7. Is it too high for AHA/BHA product like IS Clinical's Active Serum to work properly?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Bump!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
It is if you apply the product immediately.

You would need to lower the pH of the skin by using something like an ACV 'toner' or just wait 20 minutes for the pH of the skin to 'adjust'.

The product may still work a little - but by applying it right after a product with a higher pH, you are raising the pH of the BHA/AHA - which lowers it's effectiveness dramatically. So you wouldn't get maximum benefits for your skin, and would be essentially wasting money because you would be preventing the product from doing what it was designed to do.

(I don't know the specifics (pH) about the IS product - so I'm speaking in general.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I think its time for me to look for a more pH balanced cleanser. But, I almost always follow Cetaphil with Jurlique Face Wash Cream or EP-II, I wonder if any of these can help lowering pH. Does hydrosol lower the pH of the skin?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
You'd need to know the pH of those products in order to know if they affected the pH of the skin.

I'm guessing hydrosols are going to be fairly neutral (around 7.0) since they're usually just water & a flower/herb.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
That is exactly what happened to me! My undereye area looked horrible!!

But just be warned - it took a good 2 months for mine to get back to normal - so it doesn't get better immediately.

I use a 5.5 pH cleanser with my BHA/AHA products. I only cleanse once daily, in the evening, then every other night, I apply my BHA/AHA right after cleansing.

I just try to be extra gentle with my eye area. I use an eyemakeup remover made from oils only & I gently soak off the eyemakeup. Then I cleanse my face - and I don't avoid the eye area, but I don't concentrate on it either. So it does get some cleanser, just not a lot. Then I rinse carefully. I don't use the BHA/AHA around my eyes (some people tolerate it, but I can't) - I just use my pearlfection cream, line eraser, and Clarifying and/or Rejuvenating serums.

Good luck solving your problem!!

Hey Kim - Thanks for your help and suggestions. I've stopped by your website a few times recently and am happy to see you offer almost all of your products in sample sizes (including your pH balanced cleansers!). Now that I am re-thinking my current skincare regime, I will definitely keep this in mind once I'm ready to start product testing. Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
You're very welcome! I know how frustrating it is to think you're doing good things for your skin, only to find out that you're using something that is making it look worse. BTDT - LOL! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kim, where do you get your Ph testing strips or devices?
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I buy mine in bulk from one of my suppliers.

But you can get them several places online - and sometimes drugstores will have them.

A Google search brought up this site:
http://www.sciencestuff.com/ctgy/C-Litmus
(You would want the 1-14 pH strips).

But you can also buy strips that don't require a indicator solution - you just dip the strips in whatever you're testing & then compare it to a color chart within 30 seconds.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |