Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY Facials
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Earlier today (or was it yesterday?) I was asked on the Skin Care Forum to shed some light on my frequent (3 to 5 times a week) DIY facials and what that involved.

Nothing difficult or expensive about it, but you HAVE to like plain full fat yoghurt (certainly the smell of it), which I use as the base for all my facials. I first heard about this on the Skin Actives Board.

Why yoghurt? Yoghurt is rich in milk protein, several B vitamins, essential minerals such as calcium (remember Jane Fonda plugging a Pro-Calcium cream?), lactobacillus cultures and lactic acid (an AHA) - stuff that skincare companies stick in their creams and sell to consumers for whatever price the market will bear. It contains as much fat as the milk it is made from. Oh, and all the better if your yoghurt is NON-pasteurised and the lactobacillus culture is still alive and "wriggling" - you get the added bonus of enzymatic actions on your skin.

On its own, it is naturally pH-balanced (my creamy yoghurt has a pH reading of about 4 - human skin pH varies between 4 to about 5.5). Yoghurt is also the perfect consistency for a face mask.

In short, it will feed your skin with more nutrients than you will find in the "average" face cream, give you a light peel, and appears to have a temporary lightening effect in some people (myself included). AND IT IS CHEAP!

I cycle through the following yoghurt mask variations in a week:

1) Everybody's favourite yoghurt aspirin mask - this is equivalent to a moisturing nutritional AHA/BHA mask - 4 X 300mg crushed water dispersible aspirins dissolved in one teaspoon yoghurt. Leave on for at least 30 minutes. You will love how your skin feels after you wash it off.

2) Yoghurt Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) mask - mix 1/4 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid powder with 1 teaspoon yoghurt - this is more acidic than Option 1 above and is likely to sting most people - dial back on the Vitamin C powder if it feels too acidic for you.

3) Yoghurt Anti-Oxidant mask - there are many many variations of this - you are only limited by the number of water-soluble active ingredients that you have and are able to successfully dissolve in one teaspoon of yoghurt and your imagination. I tend to use beta glucan, grapeseed proanthocynadins, jiaogulan extract, DMAE, amla extract, acai. You may choose to pre-dissolve the active powders in a little glycerin before mixing it with the yoghurt for a smoother non-lumpy mask. As to proportions, really, with one teaspoon yoghurt, it's no more than a pinch of this and that.

4) Other possible add-ins: pearl powder, fruit enzymes, sea kelp, etc. etc. etc.

5) I am also aware that many many variations of DIY yoghurt masks exist on EDS currently, so please do a search on that as well.

And just before you kick back and lie down for 30 minutes to an hour (in the bath or in bed or on the couch), remember to pour yourself a glass of wine and lock up your cat/dog/DH so they won't be tempted to eat your mask off your face.

P.S. if you are like some people who like their masks to set like cement on their faces so it has a psuedo-tightening effect, just add corn starch to the mix. You may have to take it off with a chisel later (no, just jump in the shower).
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, thank you very much nyonyakay for the detailed explanations! It does sound quite simple. I have never tried DIY facials before. Now I want to try it. Smile

A couple of questions:
1. Do you think it will work well for sensitive skin? I have sensitive skin and that's part of why I haven't looked into DIYs.

2. What brands of yogurt do you generally use? Any recommendations? Will the organic ones be better than the regular ones?

3. There are some yogurts I like(to eat:)) contains fruits. Will those be more effective? Maybe?

I am totally new to DIY facial and masks. I will do more research on that.

Thanks again nyonyakay Smile
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
j0g6345 wrote:

A couple of questions:
1. Do you think it will work well for sensitive skin? I have sensitive skin and that's part of why I haven't looked into DIYs.

For starters, try patting a little plain yoghurt on to a little patch on your face or neck and see what happens....

2. What brands of yogurt do you generally use? Any recommendations? Will the organic ones be better than the regular ones?

I just use any THICK CREAMY FULL FAT commercial yoghurt I can get from the supermarket - try to look for the non-pasteurised yoghurt with live cultures.

3. There are some yogurts I like(to eat:)) contains fruits. Will those be more effective? Maybe?

IMO the creamy full fat European-style yoghurts are a richer all-round nutrient source for the skin.

I should add I always have two kinds of yoghurt in the fridge - one light lo-fat fruity one to eat, and one naughty creamy high-fat one for my face. Yes, I definitely indulge my face more than my tummy!
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
j0g6345 wrote:

A couple of questions:

For starters, try patting a little plain yoghurt on to a little patch on your face or neck and see what happens....

I just use any THICK CREAMY FULL FAT commercial yoghurt I can get from the supermarket - try to look for the non-pasteurised yoghurt with live cultures.

IMO the creamy full fat European-style yoghurts are a richer all-round nutrient source for the skin.

I should add I always have two kinds of yoghurt in the fridge - one light lo-fat fruity one to eat, and one naughty creamy high-fat one for my face. Yes, I definitely indulge my face more than my tummy!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds delicious Razz I will give it a try
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin / am prone to sensitivity and LOVE yoghurt masks, and have yet to experience ANY sort of irritation from one. But as Nyonyakay says, it's good to do a test patch before hand. I also often make masks with sour cream, at 9% fat. I find it sits much better. These masks leave my skin soft, happy and more luminous. Usually mix with an EO and aspirin.

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay,
Thanks for the great recipes, I love homemade yogurt (the really bitter tasting stuff) so I will indulge my face in it next time as well!
CG
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Ruth wrote:
I have sensitive skin / am prone to sensitivity and LOVE yoghurt masks, and have yet to experience ANY sort of irritation from one. But as Nyonyakay says, it's good to do a test patch before hand. I also often make masks with sour cream, at 9% fat. I find it sits much better. These masks leave my skin soft, happy and more luminous. Usually mix with an EO and aspirin.

Thanks Ruth for the additional info. Hmmm, these masks really sound delicious Razz
maggie1

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Mix few drops of olive, almond, castor (it is too good but add if you can tolerate the smell) and apply all over your face. Massage for few minutes and wash with mild face wash or gram flour (you can get this in any Indian grocery stores). After washing your face, apply paste made of sandalwood powder & rosewater (sandalwood powder can be purchased from Indian grocery stores). Let it dry and wash your face with cold water.
Benefits:
Oils take the dryness out of your skin. Sandalwood paste will take the excess oil from your face. You can 1 tablespoon of semolina (sooji available in Indian grocery stores) with 1 teaspoon of milk and use as a scrub. Scrubbing removes the dead skin from the face.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Can I use the friut yugurt or plain yugurt?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |