Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Private vs. Public School????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I attended private school and sent my son to the same one. In the same situation, if I had to do it over, I'd home school.

In your situation, I'd send him to the public school. You mentioned it was very good and all the neighborhood kids attended. For me that would be key especially for a boy. The older I get the more I realize how important social skills are for sucess in life and especially for boys.

You never know the future, you may need that money latter.

Good Luck!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with several posters here that one should not assume private is better than public. Some really good public schools can rival private schools easily, and even beat some private schools. The private school I went to did not seem to hire teachers with the most experiences. However some public schools don't have all teachers with credentials like the one my kids went to last year. This is public record though. You can inquire how many teachers the school has with credentials.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I went to public school. I was in all the AP classes and hung out with the AP kids. When we had parties etc. and the private school kids came they always brought the good drugs that the public school kids couldn't afford lol. Not all private schools are there just to seperate the haves from the have-nots but some are. Just remember that when you look at the schools.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter is going to a fancy private school. I really do not like it. She does not want to leave and my dh wants her to stay. It is great academically (she has languages and drama starting in kindergarden) but the parents are very rich and very snobby and far from learning it is bad the other kids learn very bad ways. To do her justice my dd stands up for right but is often abused for it.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
PS Although it is difficult to learn about social issues when visiting a school you can learn quite a bit about how things go in the classroon. I visited several public and private schools and sat in on two classes at each place. It was interesting how different they were.
onyne427

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter is 21 and graduating in two months from Radford Univ. in Virginia. My son is 18 and graduating in June from a public high school. I graduated from a private school in 1976. Both of my children started out in private school because I had a wonderful experience with it. My daughter did well, although we did have many problems with individual teachers, which also happens at public schools. My son, however, was a different story. The teachers would tell me they thought he had problems but they couldn't put their finger on what it was. After spending tens of thousands of dollars on private school, I changed jobs and could no longer afford it so I put them both in public school. Well, my daughter loved it - she hated Catholic school, and I was not impressed because when I would call the teacher at night she was obviously drunk and was impossible to talk to. She would send me a note to call her. I didn't do it unsolicited. Anyway, my son was only in second grade at the time, and he had the greatest teacher. She knew he had something wrong and went through incredible lengths to get him tested for learning disabilities. Turns out he had several and got all kinds of aid through public school. He wouldn't have gotten any of that through public school. Sure, if you are lucky you can have them tested, but most of them don't have the resources to deal with all the different aspects of learning disabilities. He is starting at UVA in the fall and all of his IEPs are going with him. Give public a chance and save your money. You just have to insist on changing teachers if you are unhappy with the one you get. If you raise enough noise they will listen.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I really appreciate all the wonderful comments. I guess this is just the beginning of tough decisions I'll have to make for him.
I'm going to give the public school a try.
Our neighborhood school was picked as one of the top 10 schools in North Carolina. They base it on student test scores & working conditions as reported by the teachers. We're lucky to have such a great school as an option for us! I'll save the money for his college, a car, my botox injections Laughing , etc.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |