Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Vitamins may increase risk of death
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Just read it from newspaper today,research from Denmark shows people who take beta carotene, vitamin A and E will be increasing their risk of death.
the report also suggest people should stop taking vitamins completely!!!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa????????? You're going to have to post the article on this one. That just sounds silly. How can taking two water soluble antioxidants increase your risk of death?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I found it. It is silly:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/35066.html

So we're more likely to die because our immune systems are working too well?

I also found something about the Danish banning fortified Kelloggs cereals saying the vitamins in them may cause people to overdose on certain nutrients. I think the DAnish are just a little up tight about vitamins, for some odd reason...
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I was trying to search for the article on internet as I read it from newspaper. Yeah it's about the same article you posted.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I found it. It is silly:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/35066.html

So we're more likely to die because our immune systems are working too well?

I also found something about the Danish banning fortified Kelloggs cereals saying the vitamins in them may cause people to overdose on certain nutrients. I think the DAnish are just a little up tight about vitamins, for some odd reason...

The Swiss are like that too. My sister lives there and they no longer sell Cliff Bars because there was some deal with the vitamin content. We were just talking about this yesterday Smile

I'll take this study into consideration just about as much as this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vZArebYZzdc
I can't find the actual written article but I remember being shocked when this came out.

Vitamins will shorten your life and mercury is good for you Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I understand the concern of overdosing on certain vitamins that's why vitamins should be kept away from children. But, I just don't believe that taking a multi-vitamin a day would hurt. I know there are some people who takes a whole long list of supplements. As long as they discuss it with their physician before hand.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
all this adding vitamins to things like cereal is just a way to get people to keep buying and eating the stuff...instead of eating real fruit and veggies.

I know I know - you get tomatoes and eggs and all sorts of healthy stuff (eggs in moderation though Wink ) with added nutrients - I find it SICKENING!

Jeeeez, I wish we just could get some wholesome produce from our earth instead of beating it to smithereens with pesticieds, and animals with medicins Mad - ECOLOGICAL FOOD FOR THE PEOPLE!!!!! which is affordable!!!! PULEEEEEZE!!!!!!

Now I take supplements, because most of the food I eat probably doesn't grow in the most nutricious earth on earth - but I will NOT put a bl**dy tomatoe in my mouth that has got extra vit c pumped into it!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Laughing a bit of a ramble there - sorry Laughing

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Ruth wrote:
all this adding vitamins to things like cereal is just a way to get people to keep buying and eating the stuff...instead of eating real fruit and veggies.

I know I know - you get tomatoes and eggs and all sorts of healthy stuff (eggs in moderation though Wink ) with added nutrients - I find it SICKENING!

Jeeeez, I wish we just could get some wholesome produce from our earth instead of beating it to smithereens with pesticieds, and animals with medicins Mad - ECOLOGICAL FOOD FOR THE PEOPLE!!!!! which is affordable!!!! PULEEEEEZE!!!!!!

Now I take supplements, because most of the food I eat probably doesn't grow in the most nutricious earth on earth - but I will NOT put a bl**dy tomatoe in my mouth that has got extra vit c pumped into it!

Couldn't have put it better myself.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:

And I thought that the British nanny state was bad!
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I take an antiox called Protandium - they sent this out today.

Are All Antioxidants Created Equal? A Response to the Controversy.

The Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an article on the benefits, or lack thereof, of conventional antioxidant supplements which has generated enormous interest, and controversy, in the supplement industry.

The analysis of 68 studies from 1977 to 2005 suggests high doses of vitamins A and E as well as beta carotene and other antioxidant supplements are actually bad for you and do not help you live longer.

At LifeVantage Corporation, makers of Protandim, we know that not all supplements are created equal. Some are synthetic, some are natural products, and others, believe it or not, can actually become pro-oxidants if you get too much of them (which increases your oxidative stress, by the way).

Protandim is not an antioxidant, it is an antioxidant therapy, and we have always been careful to make that distinction in order to separate our product from the myriad of consumable antioxidants in the marketplace.

Dr. Joe McCord, LifeVantage Director of Science, points out that most people do not realize that their bodies do not rely on antioxidant vitamins to maintain proper balance. Your body relies on powerful antioxidant enzymes. In fact, he says, the peer-reviewed clinical study that established Protandims ability to eliminate the age-related increase in oxidative stress underscores the uniqueness of Protandims approach to antioxidant therapy by increasing your own antioxidant enzymes.

Protandim is effective in the body because it works entirely differently from conventional antioxidants (whether those are consumed in pill form or in foods you eat/drink). When you take Protandim the trillions of cells in your body understand that they are to commence making more antioxidant enzymes Superoxide dismutase and Catalase which work in tandem to fight free radical damage to all those cells. The new higher levels of these enzymes do not completely eliminate free radicals (because even free radicals have a place in a well-balanced metabolism), but they restore free radicals to the low, non-damaging levels your cells experienced decades ago.

We are big on cellular health at LifeVantage because an enormous body of scientific evidence (our clinical trial included) has shown that most health conditions arise at the cellular level. Proactively protect your cells from being damaged and you should reap the benefits in terms of good health and wellness as you age.

Our approach to the science of cellular health and oxidative stress is that we believe consumers of dietary supplements want more scientific data to demonstrate the value of the products they choose. We have that scientific data.

We market Protandim because we believe you should have the means of having quality of life in the years that you do live. Take Protandim daily, and live healthy as you age.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
It seems everything increases death these days. I think the stress from worrying about death will kill us before vitamins. I'm tired with the scare tactic headlines. They release these unfinished studies as long as there are headlines to draw attention. The retractions are always printed (small print) on page 100 stating "Nevermind".
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
doohicus wrote:
It seems everything increases death these days. I think the stress from worrying about death will kill us before vitamins. I'm tired with the scare tactic headlines. They release these unfinished studies as long as there are headlines to draw attention. The retractions are always printed (small print) on page 100 stating "Nevermind".

Amen! Well put, doohicus!

Mary Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary. I am now off to join a piece of chocolate cake and coffee which will certainly be the end of me. (The cake is called "Death by Chocolate")
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
doohicus wrote:
Thanks Mary. I am now off to join a piece of chocolate cake and coffee which will certainly be the end of me. (The cake is called "Death by Chocolate")

Well, tell me where to get my hands on a piece of that cake and we'll both "end it all" together! Laughing

Mary Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I dont mind live a little bit shorter if I can live a higher quality of life. 90 or 95 year really doesn't make a difference to me. If I can live healthily for 70 years I am already content.
lindia99
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
hard to believe this. However, taking everything more than need is definitely not good for health.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Seems like this idea is being pounced around..

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/28/antioxidants_hea.html?category=health&guid=20070228144530&dcitc=w19-506-ak-0004

At this point I won't give my input (only cause I'm unsure), but I will say that I have heard about the increase risk of cancer if you are a smoker and take the supplement Vit. A (not sure if it was the beta carotene, retinoid or mixed version used in the study.)This is a well known Finnish study that was completed a few years back. Just some food for thought.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Oh dear, I am in trouble with all the vitamins I am taking. To counter the bad effects of vitamins, I ate 2 donuts and drank 2 cups of coffee today. Woohoo, I am on my way to a long and healthy life now. Bad Grin
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa????????? You're going to have to post the article on this one. That just sounds silly. How can taking two water soluble antioxidants increase your risk of death?

Vit A and E are fat soluble, so excess will be stored in your body. Vit C is water soluble, and theres is therefore little need to worry about overusing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:16 am      Reply with quote
I remember being at Uni when a Swedish study was presented saying that people that took antioxidants (like Vit C supplements) actually had a higher rate of cancer than the placebo group. They said the reason for this was because the antioxidants protected the cancer cells and stopped the natural immune response form occuring and killing them off (i.e recognising them as abnormal). They concluded that the only long term benefit from antioxidant therapy was if you started it from birth and maintained it (I thought...what like drinking tea??). So, there are alot of contradicting studies out there, and now I just do what I want, and what makes me feel good, so that if I die tomorrow in a car crash, I am happy and fulfilled WITH TODAY!

I don't care for anything else....and I'm a medical scientist.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Schnee wrote:
violetanne wrote:

Vit A and E are fat soluble, so excess will be stored in your body. Vit C is water soluble, and theres is therefore little need to worry about overusing.

True and false about vit-c. Yes it is water soluble and will be sweated and wee-wee'd out of your system. Overuse is still a problem though coz it can cause an allergic reaction...

A little anecdote form my childhood....

I was about 10 years old and had spent the weekend with one of my friends. It was winter and tangerine season. I have always LOVED these little orange balls of juicy gold .

Monday morning I was off to school as usual, and my teacher noticed I had some red spots and promptly sent me off to the school nurse - a big boisterous woman with a huge warm laughter, Nurse Ami:). Nurse Ami got my top off and was shocked and appalled at the sight of red spots and blotches all over my chest and called my mother, who full of anguish and guilt (induced by Nurse Ami), rushed over and collected me and took me to the doctor. The doctor calmly took a look and asked if I was allergic to anything and we said "noooo" and then she asked what I'd eaten over the weekend, and I told her I'd probably stuffed myself with approx. 2 kgs of tangerines + very potent homemade blackcurrant sorbet on Sunday evening - which is lovely stuff by the way Very Happy . Voilà, we had the answer...overdose of Vit-C.

The spots were gone by Tuesday Very Happy

Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
melissa49 wrote:
I remember being at Uni when a Swedish study was presented saying that people that took antioxidants (like Vit C supplements) actually had a higher rate of cancer than the placebo group. They said the reason for this was because the antioxidants protected the cancer cells and stopped the natural immune response form occuring and killing them off (i.e recognising them as abnormal). They concluded that the only long term benefit from antioxidant therapy was if you started it from birth and maintained it (I thought...what like drinking tea??). So, there are alot of contradicting studies out there, and now I just do what I want, and what makes me feel good, so that if I die tomorrow in a car crash, I am happy and fulfilled WITH TODAY!

I don't care for anything else....and I'm a medical scientist.

Very well put!!!!!

fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
wow, invaluable info!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |