Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Squalane, Argan, Camellia Oil - AND THE WINNER IS....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer a mix - that way I can get a lighter consistency (which absorbs better for me) and the benefits from several different oils. My favorites are hazelnut, jojoba, evening primrose, borage seed, macadamia nut, red raspberry, sweet almond, & grapeseed. There are others I like, too - but those are my favorites. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
I prefer a mix - that way I can get a lighter consistency (which absorbs better for me) and the benefits from several different oils. My favorites are hazelnut, jojoba, evening primrose, borage seed, macadamia nut, red raspberry, sweet almond, & grapeseed. There are others I like, too - but those are my favorites. Smile

Can you recommend an oil for body use? I'm still looking for a good body oil. I have eczema, so most body products break me out. TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
Lisey wrote:
Do you happen to have his name? What kind of squalane is it, olive or shark? TIA. Smile

I think squalane is from olive whereas squalene is from shark.

That's what I thought too, but I found on many sites that carry squalane oils but are derived from sharks too.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried applying jojoba after getting out of the shower/tub, while your skin is still damp? It dilutes the oil, making it easier to apply - and also makes it absorb more quickly. Jojoba is the oil that is most like the oils produced by the body.

Do you like an oil that leaves a residue or do you want one that absorbs completely? Do you like a thicker consistency or a lighter one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
lynn - how much moisture did you want for your body? I suffer from scaly calves and avocado oil works really well for me. I apply it right after I towel dry myself from the shower (so my skin is still damp), I have no problems with it sitting on top of my skin and not absorbing. It has very high moisturizing properties as well. I use camellia oil on my face but it's not enough moisture for my body so I opt for my avocado which I also use for my hair and loving it.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
That's what I thought too, but I found on many sites that carry squalane oils but are derived from sharks too.

I think there are some sites that aren't too particular about their wording/labeling - and some that don't seem to know that there is a difference between squalane & squalene.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Quote:

I think there are some sites that aren't too particular about their wording/labeling - and some that don't seem to know that there is a difference between squalane & squalene.

Here's the website about squalene I just found.

http://portalmarket.com/shark.html

I tried to find squalane oils at vitaminshoppe but they're all shark derived. Sad Think I'll get the one at IE.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Have you tried applying jojoba after getting out of the shower/tub, while your skin is still damp? It dilutes the oil, making it easier to apply - and also makes it absorb more quickly. Jojoba is the oil that is most like the oils produced by the body.

Do you like an oil that leaves a residue or do you want one that absorbs completely? Do you like a thicker consistency or a lighter one?

I haven't tried using any oils on my body except for Dr. H Moor-Lavender Body Oil. I prefer something without essential oils in it though. I like something very moisturizing, but does absorb into my skin eventually. I don't mind thick consistency as long as it absorbs even if it takes a long time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
lynn - how much moisture did you want for your body? I suffer from scaly calves and avocado oil works really well for me. I apply it right after I towel dry myself from the shower (so my skin is still damp), I have no problems with it sitting on top of my skin and not absorbing. It has very high moisturizing properties as well. I use camellia oil on my face but it's not enough moisture for my body so I opt for my avocado which I also use for my hair and loving it.

sormuimui,

I've considered avocado oil before as it does sound very nice and moisturizing. I'm just thinking avocados here...they're just yummy. Anyway, does the oil absorb eventually? Or does it just stay oily and greasy on your skin the whole time?

Lynn

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't tried using any oils on my body except for Dr. H Moor-Lavender Body Oil. I prefer something without essential oils in it though. I like something very moisturizing, but does absorb into my skin eventually. I don't mind thick consistency as long as it absorbs even if it takes a long time.

You can always add your own essential oils. Smile

What about a nice natural body butter?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Quote:

You can always add your own essential oils. Smile

What about a nice natural body butter?

So far I haven't had any serious problems with Dr.H one except for occasional irritations. However, with facial products (esp. from Decleor) essential oils in them tend to irritate my skin badly. So, I'd like to avoid them if I could.

Re body butter, I'm just SO lazy...too lazy to rub body butter/moisturizer on. That's why I've been looking for oil as it goes on a lot quicker.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I totally read that incorrectly - I thought it said you WANTED something with essential oils in it, LOL! Shock

It sounds as if your best bet is an oil or oil mix that you can apply right after showering. If you had a light enough mix, you could even use a spray bottle to apply.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
I totally read that incorrectly - I thought it said you WANTED something with essential oils in it, LOL! Shock

It sounds as if your best bet is an oil or oil mix that you can apply right after showering. If you had a light enough mix, you could even use a spray bottle to apply.

What other oils would you recommend besides jojoba oil? Hmm...I've always thought jojoba suits oily skin. Isn't that what a lot of people with oily skin here use on their faces?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba is actually a great oil for all skintypes because it helps balance the skin - whether it's oily or dry.

For dry skins, I usually recommend sweet almond, sunflower, apricot kernel, macadamia nut, & emu (if you can tolerate it). They're slightly 'heavier' oils.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Jojoba is actually a great oil for all skintypes because it helps balance the skin - whether it's oily or dry.

For dry skins, I usually recommend sweet almond, sunflower, apricot kernel, macadamia nut, & emu (if you can tolerate it). They're slightly 'heavier' oils.
'

Thanks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:47 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
sormuimui wrote:

sormuimui,

I've considered avocado oil before as it does sound very nice and moisturizing. I'm just thinking avocados here...they're just yummy. Anyway, does the oil absorb eventually? Or does it just stay oily and greasy on your skin the whole time?

Lynn

I never really looked into it but it definitely absorbs quite quickly - I can't say immediately because I've never paid attention (since it's on my legs and not on my face Laughing) But whenever I touch my legs afterwards they feel so soft and silky. I think by the time my legs are fully dried all the oil has absorbed. I always though avocado oil is a thicker oil but my hair/body just sucks it up, never had the guts to use it on my face though.

I don't condition my hair everynight either and when I don't I slather some avocado oil all over my towel dried hair and my hair and it detangles it really nicely + gives me a nice glossy sheen. I also believe due to the high fatty contents of avocado oil it gives my hair a good protein treatment!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:51 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:
sormuimui wrote:

sormuimui,

Lynn

I never really looked into it but it definitely absorbs quite quickly - I can't say immediately because I've never paid attention (since it's on my legs and not on my face Laughing) But whenever I touch my legs afterwards they feel so soft and silky. I think by the time my legs are fully dried all the oil has absorbed. I always though avocado oil is a thicker oil but my hair/body just sucks it up, never had the guts to use it on my face though.

I don't condition my hair everynight either and when I don't I slather some avocado oil all over my towel dried hair and my hair and it detangles it really nicely + gives me a nice glossy sheen. I also believe due to the high fatty contents of avocado oil it gives my hair a good protein treatment!

I'll look into avocado oil. Do you use it on your hair in conjunction with John Masters hair products?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Well I'm only currently using JMO's conditioners and the pomade since my BF doesn't like the smell of the Evening Primrose shampoo. And I dont use the oil on top of the conditioners because I think that would be too much, so on days when I don't use my JMO conditioner I use the oil and vice versa.

I'm currently alternating between Alba's Plumeria Replenishing Hair Wash and Baby Bee's Shampoo and Wash.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |