Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shopping tips in China needed, please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am going on a tour with a large group at the end of March to China. The cities we will be visiting are: Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai.

I would love some recommendations for good shopping areas and some suggestions as to what would be good to look for --- and I am asking for ALL suggestions, not just skincare and makeup. Smile

Also, if you have any suggestions as to what kind of small gifts I could take with me to give to our tour guides, hosts, etc. that would be appreciated, PLEASE let me know! Very Happy
Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just did all those three cities last year ... I regret not getting a propaganda poster from the propaganda poster store in Shanghai. Also there is a great antique market in Shanghai that I went too, i will try and remember where it is.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, tam, it depends on what you want to buy. What do you have in mind?

You will have fun there Smile

Jasmine
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
j0g6345 wrote:
Hi, tam, it depends on what you want to buy. What do you have in mind?

You will have fun there Smile

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

You see, that's the problem I'm having... I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for while I'm there! Confused

The only thing that I've heard is that pearls are a good buy there -- any thoughts?

I'd appreciate suggestions for anything! Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
If you are into clothes, especially unique hard to find styles I would suggest markets - depending on how daring you are.

The Silk Markets in Yong An Li station (via subway) is a popular tourist shopping place, but careful because they suggest the most ridiculous prices for foreigners. Occasionally you can find genuine labels like Ralph Lauren/Anna Sui otherwise there are many good quality fakes. Silk Markets also sell lots of replica key chains, mobile phone accessories, and traditional crafts which could be possible gift options for your hosts.

Places where locals go are Xidan, Dongdan (all via subway), lots of shopping centres and small markets - and lots of haggling. Most shopping centres have huge sales like 70-80% off, especially after Chinese New Year.

There are also many local clothes "markets" where you can get really nice things for around 50-100RMB with some hardcore haggling (that's around 5-15USD) - if you venture around the 4th Ring road area like Wu Dao Kou, Xin Jie Kou - lots of "younger" fashions.

As for sizing, you may find local markets a bit lacking since even I couldn't find suitable sizes (I am a US 7-Cool... And if you have long legs forget the pants!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Belle wrote:
I just did all those three cities last year ... I regret not getting a propaganda poster from the propaganda poster store in Shanghai. Also there is a great antique market in Shanghai that I went too, i will try and remember where it is.

Thanks Belle! That's a great suggestion! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years! I have a few people on my list that would love something like that. Smile I've already looked up where to find them in Shanghai. Very Happy

Please, if you have any other suggestions, tell me! Very Happy
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Occasionally you can find genuine labels like Ralph Lauren/Anna Sui otherwise there are many good quality fakes. Silk Markets also sell lots of replica key chains, mobile phone accessories, and traditional crafts which could be possible gift options for your hosts.

Thank you Miranets!! Great information! Very Happy

Any tips on how to distinguish genuine labels from knock-offs? I was told to assume that any label I saw was a knock-off -- not true?

I think that I may have problems with sizing too -- the longs legs will be a problem... I have enough trouble at home! Laughing

As for gifts, I was thinking of buying things from home and taking them with me, so that I could give them something that they couldn't get there. Do you have any more suggestions?
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
ok, tam

Things I can think of now. You are right, pearls are generally cheaper. 24k gold jewelry, if you like 24k Wink Silk products are good too, especially in Shanghai area (suzhou and hangzhou (two cities near shanghai) are famous for silk products). You can also get fashion jewelry, silver jewelry at very good price. Chinese folk crafts are quite special and worth getting.

If you are going on a tour with a large group, the tour guides will take you to plenty of shopping places, and you may not have much time to go somewhere on your own. So just get what you see and like. Very Happy
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
As my parents are working in China, I've been to that country too many times haha. Generally Beijing and Shanghai are already very modernised with many shopping centres that have a whole array of local brands and foreign brands. However do take note that in China there are two types of shopping centres - one in which you can bargain and slice the price (I kid you not!); one in which is like our normal shopping centres where prices are fixed. Ask the tour guide before buying if bargaining is allowed or observe the locals in the shopping centre - if they bargain, bargain as well because the prices are jacked up!

And if you go to the small street shops or street markets, MAKE SURE you bargain! The general rule is half the asking price and then half that price again - that's how much they jack up the prices (and if they see you're a foreigner they jack up the prices even more Sad)
For the street markets/shops you can get a whole array of trinkets like carved wooden toys/accessories, beaded necklaces, wallets/bags, t-shirts, socks, CDs/DVDs etc. However do note that chances are about 99% that the branded wallets/bags/t-shirts/socks are imitations (especially when the prices are really low) or factory rejects. Some of the most popular brand imitations are Nike, Chanel, Dior, Gucci... And CD's/DVD's are also probably pirated.

Silk and pearls are always a worthy buy - again bargain of course haha. Silk the best place is Suzhou/Hangzhou and if you wish to tailor clothes Suzhou is also a great place. I've tailored a silk cheong-sam before and the lady managed to finish it in like 3 hours and it only cost me $20 SGD (100RMB) Smile Shanghai tailors are better in skill I think but probably about twice-three times the price of Suzhou tailors. When buying pearls or any jewellery do be careful as there are a lot of scams going around. I would advice buying straight from a pearl factory/centre or buying in shopping centres whereby the quality is more or less secure.

Embroidery is another good choice for gifts from China - they have these silk embroidered pictures set in frames or silk embroided hankies, bedsheets etc.

But it's a pity you're going in end march because if you have waited till about July-september when summer is ending, the season end sales hit as high as 90%! I went there one year and came back with like 10 pairs of shoes/boots and a ton of clothes Bad Grin

Have a great time there and I hope apart from shopping you'll enjoy the food! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
samantha185 wrote:
As my parents are working in China, I've been to that country too many times haha. Generally Beijing and Shanghai are already very modernised with many shopping centres that have a whole array of local brands and foreign brands. However do take note that in China there are two types of shopping centres - one in which you can bargain and slice the price (I kid you not!); one in which is like our normal shopping centres where prices are fixed. Ask the tour guide before buying if bargaining is allowed or observe the locals in the shopping centre - if they bargain, bargain as well because the prices are jacked up!

And if you go to the small street shops or street markets, MAKE SURE you bargain! The general rule is half the asking price and then half that price again - that's how much they jack up the prices (and if they see you're a foreigner they jack up the prices even more Sad)
For the street markets/shops you can get a whole array of trinkets like carved wooden toys/accessories, beaded necklaces, wallets/bags, t-shirts, socks, CDs/DVDs etc. However do note that chances are about 99% that the branded wallets/bags/t-shirts/socks are imitations (especially when the prices are really low) or factory rejects. Some of the most popular brand imitations are Nike, Chanel, Dior, Gucci... And CD's/DVD's are also probably pirated.

Silk and pearls are always a worthy buy - again bargain of course haha. Silk the best place is Suzhou/Hangzhou and if you wish to tailor clothes Suzhou is also a great place. I've tailored a silk cheong-sam before and the lady managed to finish it in like 3 hours and it only cost me $20 SGD (100RMB) Smile Shanghai tailors are better in skill I think but probably about twice-three times the price of Suzhou tailors. When buying pearls or any jewellery do be careful as there are a lot of scams going around. I would advice buying straight from a pearl factory/centre or buying in shopping centres whereby the quality is more or less secure.

Embroidery is another good choice for gifts from China - they have these silk embroidered pictures set in frames or silk embroided hankies, bedsheets etc.

But it's a pity you're going in end march because if you have waited till about July-september when summer is ending, the season end sales hit as high as 90%! I went there one year and came back with like 10 pairs of shoes/boots and a ton of clothes Bad Grin

Have a great time there and I hope apart from shopping you'll enjoy the food! Smile

Thank you for all the tips Samantha! That was very helpful. Very Happy
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Just make sure you do not buy and fake dvd movies (US movies). I know of 2 people who have gotten caught by customs last year. Each dvd carries a $10,000 fine. This poor person bought 15 dvds. He ended up selling his condo in Shanghai to pay the $150,000 fine Shock

Great food in Shanghai. The only part I don't like is the smoking in restaurants etc. If you are not as allergic to cigerette smoke as me then you should be ok. I always bring a big bottle of fabreze with me and plenty of tissue for the restrooms.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Tam -

In the Silk Markets occasionally you will find a store that carries really hard to find labeled clothing - which is a rare sight because most stalls sell exactly the same thing as the one next to it, if you see something like this then it could possibly be an end-of-line real thing. Sometimes some genuine items are stolen goods, and some are reject stock because their labels are cut in half or removed completely.

I know one stall at the end of some aisle upstairs that is the only one that sells very good Moschino fakes - and latest season stuff too, but these sellers have the advantage of holding up high prices (around $40-50USD) and they don't care if they lose your patronage because if you want it bad enough you will come back.

As for DVDs, depending on how strict customs are against pirated goods, you could possibly get away with carrying some through. I know in NZ they are more worried about biosecurity so I actually brought back around 250 rare and hard to find movies with me! Perhaps in the US they are a lot strict?

As for food, in Beijing you could find street vendors that sell "lao bing" which is like a traditional egg/flour wrap with a special sauce and crispy biscuit - a must for authentic food. It's all made in front of you, but be wary of street vendors in small places - you don't want to hear about the horrors of how they make their food.
Mabsy

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you are after but as you turn from the Bund (in Shanghai of course) onto the street that then turns into that really *really* expensive outdoor shopping mall, there is a little shop just on the left that sells (and makes) gorgeous contemporary clothes with an Asian twist to them. Definitely a place where you can bargain (I thought I did well but then the locals laughed at me Embarassed). I have some beautiful coats and jackets from that place that I keep getting compliments on here.

ps. To help you identify the shop if you're interested, the label on the jacket says PLLIC (next to some Chinese writing of course).

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
As far as gifts go, I would suggest putting a few notes into sealed envelopes and give them to your hosts discretely. Although tipping is standard practice, some tour guides do refuse tips.

When we go to China & HK, I always give my room attendant a generous tip at the beginning of our stay and they are so happy that they look after us well! (Husband thinks I'm nuts on this one)

Have a fab time.....I just love China Smile
wired

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Some of my favourite buying things are sunglasses, handbags, scarves, watches, table cloths, pearls....did I mention handbags? Cool

I really don't mind that they may be fakes however I do try to get AAA fakes! Very Happy

If you have time, have some clothes/jackets/suits made in Shanghai, the cashmere & silk is supper cheap. (Sorry, can't recommend anyone at this moment but ask around)
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
Just make sure you do not buy and fake dvd movies (US movies). I know of 2 people who have gotten caught by customs last year. Each dvd carries a $10,000 fine. This poor person bought 15 dvds. He ended up selling his condo in Shanghai to pay the $150,000 fine Shock

Great food in Shanghai. The only part I don't like is the smoking in restaurants etc. If you are not as allergic to cigerette smoke as me then you should be ok. I always bring a big bottle of fabreze with me and plenty of tissue for the restrooms.

Wow. That would bring down every Canadian Airline employee who goes to China. I'm not naming the airline I work for, but all the flight attendants and pilots bring a #*&-load of DVD's home, declare it into Canada, and have no problem. One pilot brought home 300 DVD's, and ended up paying duty on something else he bought, they didn't even care about the DVD's.

That person must have really pissed off the Customs Agent. Geez. I have never seen that, and I basically go through customs for a living. You just can't lie, and when in doubt, say "I don't know". For clothes, they don't really care. They are more concerned about fake purses and watches. They don't like it when people buy so many that it looks like they will be profiting from it. For example, if you buy 3 watches, and declare it, no big deal. But if you buy 30, they will question that.

I bought my dad a Rolex last year, and a very reputable watch repair shop here saw it, opened it up, and said it was actually better made than the real Rolexes. As with most things in China, you get what you pay for. (Well, you must know the "going" price.") I paid $30 for that watch, more than the standard $10, and it is gorgeous.

for Beijing, go to Ya Show Market for clothes. Awesome jeans. Keep in mind that even when you see a pair of jeans in the US that says "made in USA" they can still be made in China, but designed in the USA. The laws on clothes are very "grey" and companies get around that. There are many fake jeans over there, (most are obvious; super high waists, rivets don't have name on them, etc.), but you can find awesome jeans there. I buy all my Rock and Republic jeans there for $15 / pair. Also sevens, etc.

I buy TONS of Marc by Marc Jacobs clothes there. Love all of it.

Yes, pant length will be a problem for you , but you can still score on jackets and tops. Pearls are great too. Bring pictures from magazines of clothes and jewlery you like, and tailors and jewlery makers will make it for you.

have fun!
and read the thread about "Airplane Dehydration." Some good tips on there!

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
- Treat yourself to a traditional Chinese tea set.. their "tea ceremony" is so easy to do at home and very relaxing. I love my set, it is beautiful.

- when we were in China we had a private guide and driver. We had paid such a cheap price for this service (no more than US$100 per day from morning till night including everything) that I tipped each of them US$5/day,placed discretely in an envelope. Because we had the same guide & driver in each city for our full stay I just tipped at the end. Oh, yea, but our shanghai guide was total CRAP so I halved what I tipped him.

- for the best bargains on designer clothing (D&G undies, jeans, A&F t-shirts etc, etc.) head for Nanjing West Road in Shanghai. I had friends staying here last week who were on their way back from 2 weeks in Shanghai and the stuff they bought was amazing (as was what they paid). If this stuff was fake, then an awful lot of effort was put into making it. We all agreed that it was likely legit stuff that found its way off the factory floor and into the markets. I was GREEN with jealousy.

Oh, and they also had heaps of the fake DVDs (I confess to being very happy to see the entire AbFab series on DVD...), so I must tell them the story about the USA...

Have fun!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am kind of familiar with Beijing. If you want to have some Japanese skincare, you can buy them more easily. There are three places for you: Baisheng at Fuxingmen, Zhongyou at Xidan and Guomao at Jianguomen.

If you are slim but not very tall, all these places carry great clothes and they are much cheaper. In Shanghai, I heard Menglongzhen is a great place for shopping.

There are also lots of great food in all these cities, though completely in different styles. Enjoy your trip!!!

tam wrote:
I am going on a tour with a large group at the end of March to China. The cities we will be visiting are: Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai.

I would love some recommendations for good shopping areas and some suggestions as to what would be good to look for --- and I am asking for ALL suggestions, not just skincare and makeup. Smile

Also, if you have any suggestions as to what kind of small gifts I could take with me to give to our tour guides, hosts, etc. that would be appreciated, PLEASE let me know! Very Happy
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
When I saw Ya show in your post, it is totally amazing to me. Real shopping girl! I should have mentioned it, but it is kind of diffcult to get there.

steffers wrote:
mtview wrote:

Wow. That would bring down every Canadian Airline employee who goes to China. I'm not naming the airline I work for, but all the flight attendants and pilots bring a #*&-load of DVD's home, declare it into Canada, and have no problem. One pilot brought home 300 DVD's, and ended up paying duty on something else he bought, they didn't even care about the DVD's.

That person must have really pissed off the Customs Agent. Geez. I have never seen that, and I basically go through customs for a living. You just can't lie, and when in doubt, say "I don't know". For clothes, they don't really care. They are more concerned about fake purses and watches. They don't like it when people buy so many that it looks like they will be profiting from it. For example, if you buy 3 watches, and declare it, no big deal. But if you buy 30, they will question that.

I bought my dad a Rolex last year, and a very reputable watch repair shop here saw it, opened it up, and said it was actually better made than the real Rolexes. As with most things in China, you get what you pay for. (Well, you must know the "going" price.") I paid $30 for that watch, more than the standard $10, and it is gorgeous.

for Beijing, go to Ya Show Market for clothes. Awesome jeans. Keep in mind that even when you see a pair of jeans in the US that says "made in USA" they can still be made in China, but designed in the USA. The laws on clothes are very "grey" and companies get around that. There are many fake jeans over there, (most are obvious; super high waists, rivets don't have name on them, etc.), but you can find awesome jeans there. I buy all my Rock and Republic jeans there for $15 / pair. Also sevens, etc.

I buy TONS of Marc by Marc Jacobs clothes there. Love all of it.

Yes, pant length will be a problem for you , but you can still score on jackets and tops. Pearls are great too. Bring pictures from magazines of clothes and jewlery you like, and tailors and jewlery makers will make it for you.

have fun!
and read the thread about "Airplane Dehydration." Some good tips on there!
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
blaziamm wrote:
When I saw Ya show in your post, it is totally amazing to me. Real shopping girl! I should have mentioned it, but it is kind of diffcult to get there.

We can walk to Ya Show from the hotel where we stay on layovers, that's how I discovered it Very Happy and yes, i'm a shopping freak!

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="tiger_tim]
- when we were in China we had a private guide and driver. We had paid such a cheap price for this service (no more than US$100 per day from morning till night including everything) that I tipped each of them US$5/day,placed discretely in an envelope.

[/quote]

EEK! Tiger_Tim, that sounds like a lot! I've never paid that much for a driver there, even for the whole day. I'm sure you had a good experience, and that's what is important Smile Smile I think we paid close to that only once when we went to go the Great Wall and back (whole day trip), but it was split between 6 of us who all piled into a van. We all went out for dinner after and bought our driver dinner as his price was so reasonable.

Just remember to BARGAIN for absolutely everything! Don't be afraid of insulting them by going 1/3 of the price they quoted; it's to be expected. They will give you a song and dance: "But I lose money!", don't get sucked in. That is the way to do business with foreigners, it just happens like that. Always be prepared to Walk away, walk away, walk away. Someone else will want your business and will give you a good price!

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |