Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

organic spfs - dr. h., organic pharmacy, santaverde, soleo
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
has anyone tried any of these organic sunscreens - dr. hauschka, organic pharmacy, santaverde, or soleo? i'm curious which one would be best for breakout prone facial skin. they're all mineral sunscreens, i think some use titanium dioxide and some use zinc oxide, and i know there's a whole debate about nano sized minerals, but putting that aside, how was the texture of these lotions? did they sink in well? did they make you oily? did they clog pores, cause breakouts, blackheads, etc.? thanks!
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
if anyone's good with ingredients, here are the two spfs i'm leaning toward (fyi, the o.p. one does also come in spf 25) - anyone know if either one would likely clog pores, and if so, which ingredient(s) would be the culprit?

1. The Organic Pharmacy Cellular Protection Sun Cream SPF 18 100ml
Aqua (water), *Alcohol (rye), Zinc Oxide, Caprylin/ Capric Triglyceride, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Benehyl Alcohol, Pongamol (Pongamia) extract, * Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) oil, * Prunus Americana (Apricot) oil, *Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) oil, Glyceryl strearate, Phospholipids, Soy bean sterols, Pearl extract, * Camelia Sinensis (White & Green tea) leaf extract, Aspthalasus Linearis (Rooibos) Leaf extract, Maltodextrin, Xantham gum, Parfum (Essential oils), *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit ) seed extract, Citric acid, Tochopherol.

2. Soleo Organics Sunscreen SPF30
Ingredients: grapeseed oil, macadamia oil, green tea extract, roman chamomile extract, sunflower oil, capric/caprylic triglycerides (plant oil derived), beeswax, theobroma butter, candelilla wax, lecithin, vegetable oils, cucumber extract, tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E) || ACTIVE INGREDIENT: zinc oxide 22.3%
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about pore clogging, but I am more interested in the Soleo Organics Sunscreen SPF30, just based on the amount of zinc oxide in it. I have never heard of this one before, so thanks for posting the ingredients.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using OP Cellular Sun Protection SPF 25 and I haven't broken out from it or had any problems with clogged pores. But I don't normally break out anyway. I really like the sunscreen.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
lynn2525 wrote:
I'm using OP Cellular Sun Protection SPF 25 and I haven't broken out from it or had any problems with clogged pores. But I don't normally break out anyway. I really like the sunscreen.

do you use a regular moisturizer underneath or would that be too much? does it sink in quickly so that you can put makeup on top?
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:28 am      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
lynn2525 wrote:

do you use a regular moisturizer underneath or would that be too much? does it sink in quickly so that you can put makeup on top?

I use a rich moiturizer underneath as I have super dry skin...so better greasy than dry parched for me. I find the sunscreen to be rather sticky (not greasy). I only wear this sunscreen when I'm at home as it only provides SPF 25. And of course, I don't wear makeup when I'm at home. To answer your question, I think the sunscreen should be enough on its own if you have oily/combo skin. I've worn makeup on top of it before without any problems.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
btw - the organic pharmacy emailed me back about their zinc ozide %s: spf 25 is 40% & 18 30%. sounds good to me!
pipkin
5% products discount

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I have used Soleo as when I was looking at sunscreens it seemed the most natural one I could find. But it is very heavy and I think it did make me break out a bit. I'd like to have a go with the Badger Balm SPF 30 one, ingredients Micronized Zinc Oxide
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.

Not sure about the essential oils though and I can't find a UK supplier. I guess I should try the Organic Pharmacy one as it's a more traditional cream and will be lighter compared to Soleo's oil based formula, but I cringe a bit as it's twice the price of Soleo.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Pipkin, John Lewis seem to stock quite a few Badger products recently if you're passing one.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I've used Dr. Hauschka sunscreens and liked them but a lot of people find them too obvious, i.e., they make your skin look pale. On very fair-skinned people, like myself, that's not a problem but posters with darker or olive-toned skin have sometimes found them unflattering.

I've found the Dr. H sunscreens to be a bit heavy for daily use, but I really like them for occasions when I know I'm going to be out in the sun (hiking, etc.). They really do provide excellent sun protection, I'm just not crazy about the feel of them under makeup.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
pipkin wrote:
I have used Soleo as when I was looking at sunscreens it seemed the most natural one I could find. But it is very heavy and I think it did make me break out a bit. I'd like to have a go with the Badger Balm SPF 30 one, ingredients Micronized Zinc Oxide
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.

Not sure about the essential oils though and I can't find a UK supplier. I guess I should try the Organic Pharmacy one as it's a more traditional cream and will be lighter compared to Soleo's oil based formula, but I cringe a bit as it's twice the price of Soleo.

thanks - i'm actually more concerned about the waxes in the soleo (and the badger as well) in terms of possible breakouts than the e.o.s, so perhaps the soleo/badger would be good body choices, and reserve the organic pharmacy for strictly face use?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
i'm actually more concerned about the waxes in the soleo (and the badger as well) in terms of possible breakouts than the e.o.s, so perhaps the soleo/badger would be good body choices, and reserve the organic pharmacy for strictly face use?

That's what I'm thinking, based on what I've been reading. I'm still trying to find out if OP ships without problems to the US before I order.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
judging from their website it looks like they do - i was able to add stuff to my cart and chose usa as the destination - you save a bit on the vat being subtracted and then pay some hefty shipping . . .
pipkin
5% products discount

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I think that's probably a good plan Sark, in fact I think I will do that. That way the price of the OP won't seem as bad if it lasts for most of the summer. I'm pretty sure it was the waxes that made me break out a bit from Soleo - it is very thick in it's texture with little grainy bits, the beeswax, which break down when you rub it in.

I'm really pale skinned and felt it did protect my skin well, just a shame about the spots ! Just been looking into this a bit further trying to find an alternative to the Organic Pharmacy - essential-caredotcodotuk do one which I think is SPF 15, 80g for £16.50, I can't find it on their site but it is on a couple of others. I don't think the SPF is high enough for me but it might be good if someone wants a lower one.

Ingredients: aqua (pure water), aloe barbadensis (aloe leaf) juice*, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil*, zinc oxide, sesamum indicum (sesame) oil*, butryospermum parkii (shea butter)*, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary)*, cetearyl glucoside (plant-based emulsifer), glucose, hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn) fruit*, calendula officinalis

(marigold)*, cera flava (beeswax)*, cetearyl alcohol, lavendula angustifolia (lavender) oil*, xanthan gum (plant origin), glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, (sugar & milk enzymes), limonene & linalool (natural constituents of the essential oils) *Organically grown & produced.

Molly, thank you, I will look in John Lewis as I'd like to try the Badger Balm one and see how it compares to Soleo.
rebelgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
You can get Organic Pharmacy products cheaper here Postage is really cheap too Smile

I hope you save me some though Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
thanks - i just found that site this morning Smile
right now i'm just trying to figure out if the o.p. spfs have a golden tint to them, which is what someone on mua mentioned to me. i was under the impression though that they're just your standard, white creams that should go on sheer . . .
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Why don't you try DDF? It is also organic.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
i checked out this spf a while ago, but there's lots in here that's really not organic - especially the silicones and parabens . . .

ddf organic spf 30:

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 2.5%, Zinc Oxide 4%

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Beeswax, PEG 100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyglycerol 6 Isostearate, Polysorbate 80, C10-15 Alkul Benzoate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis, Allantoin, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Redox I {Retinyl Palmitate (Vit A), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thioctic Acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid), Pyconol, Acetyl Cysteine, Glycine soja (Soybean) Sterois, Ubiquinone (CoQ-10), Lutein, Anthocyanins), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, DMDM Hydantoin, Propylparaben
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Most organic sunblocks I've tried are too heavy for me.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I would be concerned about the ones with lemon and lime Essential Oils. Those are photo sensitizers. St. Johns Wort is as well. Although I'd like to find one that is tinted and contains only non-nano Zinc, not Titanium.

For those who are daily wearers of these sunscreens, where do you apply it and how thick? Do you apply it to just your face, neck and chest? Or your whole body?
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
so i went ahead and ordered the op spf 18 - now just waiting for it to arrive!

i would be a bit concerned about ordering the essential-care one if their own website isn't offering it - perhaps it's an old batch? i would contact them first about it . . .
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
If I may pop in w/ another twist to this query...since recently reading about NaturDerm products & the whole silicone, parabens question, I've been wondering how that issue effects screens & blocks.

Have searched the web & really couldn't find any 'organic' screen/block that didn't include them. DDF & others failed on that score. Then realized that the organic skin care products (that I've seen anyway) usually don't include high SPF screens/blocks in their product line. Think of Caudalie, Décleor, Australian Rose hip lines, even NaturDerm, et al. Bingo. That must be why. So what do these people recommend using?

I finally gave up searching for the answer and have emailed Amy at NaturDerm.

For me, Amy's argument against silicones on the NaturDerm website is very persuasive. and I like that the consumer is given the opportunity to read about the science behind her products. I now find myself searching product ingredient listings for Carbomer & dimethicone etc. But the ? about high SPF screens/blocks remains...we need them so what to use?

I'm sure that some of our gals on the forum have the answer...anyone?

TIA
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
arya - your question is exactly what prompted me to start this thread. all of the brands i listed here are silicone free and produce spfs that range from fairly low to what i would consider totally sufficient. organic pharmacy makes an spf 25, soleo's is 30, etc. if you're using a totally physical sun block, and just make sure to reapply if you rub it off, i really think that this is high enough. but, that's just my opinion. if you're lookinf for an spf 60, then perhaps that's just not available in an organic base . . .
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
sark:

Thanks for this. yes I was hoping to find a block (seem to have read they're more effective than screens) with a higher SPF since spend tons of time in garden in summer. But maybe a block is even more problematic re silicones, etc.

The screens I've used to date, those w/ silicones, even with an SPF of 60, (I'm thinking of Ombrelle 60 cream) don't do the trick. After using them, seems to me I've sprouted new brown spots the next day! How is that happening I wonder.

And I guess it's just too much to ask that I'd find something at my local pharmacy, (am in Cda) & that won't ball up. Shouldn't be too much in the 21st C. But I digress.

Soleo, never heard of it, at 30, hmmm. Will check out my local Health Food etc. store & look online at Soleo.

Thanks again Smile
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Andaman_gypsy, I digress, but I am very interested in what rich moisturizer you wear under your sunscreen. I have a question elsewhere on this forum, but so far no one has answered it Sad So please do share your findings. Ever so grateful.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |