Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can You Dry Brush Your Face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I have a question...I dry brush my body and really like the results. When you are dry brusing your body you always brush toward the heart. Up the legs, down the chest, up the arms, ie. I don't think one would want to brush down on the face. So do you brush up? Up and out? How are some of you brushing?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
kj68 wrote:
I have a question...I dry brush my body and really like the results. When you are dry brusing your body you always brush toward the heart. Up the legs, down the chest, up the arms, ie. I don't think one would want to brush down on the face. So do you brush up? Up and out? How are some of you brushing?

I am starting with upwards strokes from the bottom of my neck towards the chin.
From what I have read, you are supposed to brush the face from the middle towards each side. I start with small, circular movements from the middle of my forehead towards each side of the forehead. Then I do the same procedure from the nose towards each of the ears, and likewards on the chin. I brush the nose in some light, sweeping strokes.

It could be and idea to start with a one minute session and double or triple the time when your face get used to dry brushing.

Please share your experience if you try facial dry brushing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've been dry brushing for a long time. I use natural very soft baby hair brushes (given to me years ago when dd was born). I've never had a real scratchy feel, I think if you do you're using the wrong brush.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I would also like to get recs for good brushes with natural bristles. Currently I use an old face brush from Body Shop, and sometimes a nail brush with natural bristles (using light strokes). Some of the 'raw food' women actually used a special shoe brush!

CMAYC - Just out of curiosity, why does your naturopath recommend facial dry brushing?

Septembergirl....she recommended dry brushing to stimulate my lymph flow. I developed a small sebaceous cyst on my chin a couple years ago (a sign that my lymphatic system is not operating properly), so thus the facial dry brushing recommendation. Dry brushing daily, along with a special diet, cold water rinses at the end of each shower, castor oil packs and homeopathic drops. I'm pleased to say, 2 months later, my cyst is barely visible. Even my husband, who was less than impressed when I started this whole thing, commented yesterday that it looks like it's almost gone! Very Happy
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I've been dry brushing for a long time. I use natural very soft baby hair brushes (given to me years ago when dd was born). I've never had a real scratchy feel, I think if you do you're using the wrong brush.

I guess a baby brush is quite similar to the Dermalogica face brush in softness (and supposedly other brushes that are designed for cleansing with water).

I thought the bristles would have to be a bit stiffer to help with blood circulation and lymphatic drainage. Of course they should not be as hard on the skin that they cause scratches and broken capillaries.

What kind of benefits do you get from the brushing, and for how long do you brush every day, Sharky?

CMAYC - happy to hear that the treatments were working for you.

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
CMAYC - happy to hear that the treatments were working for you. Smile

Thank you!! Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Before I began rolling (Dermaroller) I brushed my face every morning (gave me a nice glow). I now only brush on mornings when I didn't roll the day before). I also brushed hands and arms every evening before my bath. It feels really good, helps circulation and brushes off dead skin. My hands and arms look very good for my age (but I also have been using DDF glycolic lotion for two years I believe that has done great things for my hands). I'm rolling my hands and arms now and that has really faded the few pigmentation spots I had.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a face brush years ago that had natural bristles on it like dry brushes I have seen for the body. It is made by Earth Therapeutics. But when I visited their website today, I see Earth Therapeutics now only sell ones made with synthetic bristles:
http://www.earththerapeutics.net/products.asp?dept=44

If you want one with natural bristles, you may still be able to find one. Or maybe a "mushroom brush" with natural bristles would work...

I did find a couple facial brushes with natural bristles online with quick search:

New England/Earthline - Face Brush Natural Bristle Wood Hand (Nicole Reeds Skincare & Spa Products)
Price: $3.70
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VV0JNQ?smid=A7135810W5EN2&tag=nextag-hpc-20&linkCode=asn

Walnut Wood Facial Brush by Hydrea
Price £5.50
http://www.beautifulpure.com/hydrea/walnut-wood-facial-brush
This classically designed facial brush is ideal for smoothing and rejuvenating delicate facial skin. It works by exfoliating and removing dead skin cells to leave skin glowing, refreshed and smooth.

Wooden Face Brush by Hydrea
Price £3.50
http://www.beautifulpure.com/hydrea/wooden-facial-brushExfoliate and refresh tired facial complexions with this wooden facial brush with natural fibres.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 am      Reply with quote
You'll probably all think I've lost it, but here goes anyway..

I use a baby's hairbrush on my face. It's the perfect size, just the right texture and firmness for the bristles, it gets into all the nooks and crannies, has a handle that makes it so easy to use and at $1.98 can be replaced frequently.. I keep a larger one in the shower for the rest of me.

I'm telling you, it rocks!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A - I think you are talking about wet brushing your face. Smile

Lunarmm - thank you for the recs on face brushes. I will look into it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Many years ago dry brushing was recommended to me by an alternative medicine practitioner (Dr. Soltanoff) - he was adamant on dry brushing the face as well. From what I recall it was a plain brush for bathtub cleaning, not soft and fluffy at all, and it did a great job at the time ( he said to be more gentle on the face and quite vigorous on the body, plus there were certain order and directions of how to do it).

Just my 2 cents,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm - the brushes from beautifulpure.com look good. They look quite similar to the Body Shop brush I use now, which I believe they don' carry anymore. Unfortunately, beautifulpure doesn't ship internationally.

sigma - it's my impression, too, that facial dry brushing is common in alternative movements. You are right, a fluffy brush won't do the job.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Is it really useful? It seems quite good
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Kassy_A - I think you are talking about wet brushing your face. Smile

I mostly use it wet, but it works dry as well.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I am a face brusher and love the way my skin looks and responds when I do it regularly. I brush my neck and chest as well and feel that the skin on my neck has thickened some, which is great!
I definitely agree that a baby brush is way too soft and flexible for this kind of lymphatic massage. Not to say that it wouldn't feel lovely and exfoliate, but you really need the stiffer bristles of a natural fiber brush in order to encourage lymphatic movement and drainage (that actually sounds kinda gross, doesn't it?!! Laughing

Here is a link to the inexpensive but quality brush that I use. It's currently on sale!
http://www.internatural.com/ingr/ingr375128.cfm

Here are some instructions on how to properly brush your face:

First of all, you should use a plant fiber face brush.

You brush up on the neck and then on the face, you brush up and out:

Jawline - brush out in circular motions towards ear.
Cheekbones - brush out in circular motions towards ear.
Forehead - start in middle of forehead and brush out on each side towards temple.
Nose - small circular movements over the nose.
Under eyes - tiny, light circular motions from outer eye in towards the nose (NOT out towards ear).

Hope this is helpful!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
I am a face brusher and love the way my skin looks and responds when I do it regularly. I brush my neck and chest as well and feel that the skin on my neck has thickened some, which is great!
I definitely agree that a baby brush is way too soft and flexible for this kind of lymphatic massage. Not to say that it wouldn't feel lovely and exfoliate, but you really need the stiffer bristles of a natural fiber brush in order to encourage lymphatic movement and drainage (that actually sounds kinda gross, doesn't it?!! Laughing

Here is a link to the inexpensive but quality brush that I use. It's currently on sale!

Forehead - start in middle of forehead and brush out on each side towards temple.
Under eyes - tiny, light circular motions from outer eye in towards the nose (NOT out towards ear).

Hope this is helpful!

I love that brush! Could you tell us what the bristles are made of. I'm going to order a few of those to try out.

Thanks for the great tips for how to use brushes properly for lymphatic drainage. What would you recommend for the neck area? I usually do out toward ear, and then finish with downward strokes. It's wierd, but I can actually 'feel' liquid moving downward.

Does anybody else feel that, or have I totally lost it?.. Rolling Eyes

bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies
So I found this thread very interesting and it made me think Confused (I know, my friends would tell me not too), but I know I can not dry brush my face, regardless of how soft the brush is, I think that it would hurt my acne, but I was thinking if I get a brush that is used for dry brushing, I could use it in the shower with my cleanser??? I use an exfoliation mitt right now, and even know I can really really well, I worry about bacteria build up. I suppose if I used a brush in the shower, it would be like using a clarisonic? (spelling sorry). Would you gals see benefit to that? Such as create circulation and slough off dead skin cells??

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Brenpatsa - nice to hear the experiences from another diligent face brusher. Interesting that you feel your skin is getting stronger. I have only been brushing for three weeks, but I have a feeling that it may strengthen the skin over time. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
I suppose if I used a brush in the shower, it would be like using a clarisonic? (spelling sorry). Would you gals see benefit to that? Such as create circulation and slough off dead skin cells??

Absolutely. Using a facial brush with your cleanser will help with exfoliation and deep cleansing and probably with blood flow to some extent. Dry brushing will give additional benefits of lymph drainage and increase blood flow to a larger extent as it goes more "in depth".

Dermalogica makes a nice brush for use with cleansers, but there are cheaper options, f. ex. from Body Shop. HTH. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:

Hope this is helpful!

I love that brush! Could you tell us what the bristles are made of. I'm going to order a few of those to try out.

Thanks for the great tips for how to use brushes properly for lymphatic drainage. What would you recommend for the neck area? I usually do out toward ear, and then finish with downward strokes. It's wierd, but I can actually 'feel' liquid moving downward.

Does anybody else feel that, or have I totally lost it?.. Rolling Eyes

Other than being "natural" bristles (rather than synthetic), I really don't know exactly what the bristles are made of!!

I always follow the directions that say to brush up on the neck but that is so interesting about your actually feeling liquid moving!! I have read posts (elsewhere) about people feeling that sensation in the armpit area while/after skin brushing that area. That area is a major lymphatic zone!!

So fascinating!!
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
If you like dry skin brushing for your face... What do you do for your surrounding eye area?
I have been using a baby brush too. And did work very well for neck and face, but found very dificult to reach some areaso of my face, specially inner hollows of my eyes or eyelids.
What I did is to get 2 tooth brushes, (plastic handle) put them in boiling water for a little bit. Enough to make the plastic bend easily, and then use pliers to bend then at the tip. I got an slight curvature, enough to reach hollow areas. Since I did it i hold the skin of one eye on the temple area towards the scalp while i use my other hand to, VERY gently brush my upper and lower eyelids.
Well, it works incredibly well. Little lines and wrinkles are pretty much gone, (this could be because of some other products that I use) BUT! the best part of everything is that my skin feels thicker than before more toned not as fragile as it was.
My friend always had terrible under eye bags and since I told her about this she laughed so hard... Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin later on she said she was tired of trying everything to get rid of her bags and almost at the door of considering plastic surgery she decided to give it a try. She told me "if this ruins my skin I will still have plastic surgery to reconstruct me". She has been for 3 weeks doing this now and she is really excited. I cannot see her personally 'cause we live in different cities, but she swears by it to the point that she got very enthusiastic and got some skin irritation after abusing a bit.

I just wanted to share with you all my little invention for eyes in case you want to try it. But please be very gentle and don't forget to hold your skin with one hand while you use the other to brush.

BTW do you brush your ears? I do! and feels great. We often forget about many areas that can easily tell what we are trying to hide in the ones we take care off. Wink
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Zenity for the tip...I fight eye bags daily...I think much is do to my thyroid...but I've tried everything else. Derma wand is the only thing that has come close to touching those nasty buggards.
Crying or Very sad
Kitty
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Zenity, for your tips. I will try it. I guess you start at the outer corner of the eye and brush your under eye area carefully towards the inner corner of the eye?

I will invest in a baby toothbrush.

Kassy_A - if you can feel your lymph flow, it seems like your body and soul are in perfect harmony! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:13 am      Reply with quote
KJ,
I have read somewhere that if your bags are because of a liquid retention there is a good massage to drain it off. I recall something like holding your skin towards the temple as described in my post and then use the knuckles of your free hand to press in and out in a slow motion all that fluid starting at the inner corner of your eye.
Sorry, I can't remember where i read this, and I cannot tell if it works or not. I don't have that problem, but I have been massaging my face and other areas of my body very aggressively with very good results. I think there is a myth about how fragile our face's skin is. I can only affirm that by doing a consistent routine of massage, pressure and motion with your hands your skin and muscles get a lot more oxygen, your lymphatic system cleans a lot all the dirt has been holding and therefore the benefits are multiple.

Sept,
I actually start in the inner part of my eyes and work towards the temples, or brush from the part that is closer to your eyelashes out (towards the eyebrows in the upper lid and towards the cheekbone in the lower lid) I do a diagonal motion too. Starting inner part of the eye and brushing out and up (upper lid) and out and down (lower lid).

If you hold your skin very tight you can do strokes in your whole eye to stimulate all the area.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I just realised Brenpatsa wrote in a previous post: "Under eyes - tiny, light circular motions from outer eye in towards the nose (NOT towards ears)."

I will stick to that technique. I have always been told to pat eye cream in this direction.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |