Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Wonder if using too many products could be bad for your skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Today I forgot to wash my face and apply any cream or oil since I woke up. I won't go in to how I could forget something as important as that, but now as I saw that it was already 6:50 pm, I ran to the bathroom to look in the mirror to check on the dry skin under my eyes. I was amazed to find that it didn't look dry, and the crepe lines weren't there. I don't know what's going on. I didn't use anything at all, and my skin looks fine. No lines! I wouldn't get in to the habit of not washing my face or not using any cream or oil, but I wonder if sometimes your skin needs a break from all the lotions and potions. Maybe this is only true for someone with dry skin like me and not prone to breaking out.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm one of those "kooks" that believes that products should be rotated periodically and that skin should be given a rest at least once a week except for cleansing the "day's dirt" off. I DO believe that too many products can be bad for your skin, too.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
What's too many is relative. I think many would think I am overdoing my skin with my routine but I think I am just doing about right Bad Grin

but I do rotate some products from time to time because there are too many new things to try. Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have wondered about this myself. I usually have 1 day a week when I don't do anything but wash my face with water. It doesn't seem the worse for not putting on actives or other products. In fact, it feels like a good break for my skin to rebalance itself without help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Well, since I had a raging headache after my last post (maybe due to too much staring at the monitor), I had taken a nap and just woke up (with my little puppy tucked in next to me). I checked again, and I didn't see any lines on my face. I am now afraid to do anything more to it. LOL Yeah, right! Let's see how long that will last.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I have found that less is more for my routine. I get very burned out and overwhelmed (and end up throwing a lot of things out, becase of expiration dates) if I use "too many" products. I agree with Wild Cat that the right number of products depends on the person and circumstances they focus on, in their own routine.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I'm one of those "kooks" that believes that products should be rotated periodically and that skin should be given a rest at least once a week except for cleansing the "day's dirt" off. I DO believe that too many products can be bad for your skin, too.

Ari

I agree. Definitely. Yes.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Notice that you've only been a day without using your products. As most skincare products yield cumulative effects, the effects of not using them might be cumulative as well. I recently had to go two weeks without my ISC Active serum because I ran out and didn't re-order in time. Let's just say my skin really missed it. But yeah I agree too many products can be more harmful than beneficial as all those ingredients might not be designed to work synergistically, even if they're products from the same line.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
You are lucky. I breakout easily if I can't wash my face for a day!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:
You are lucky. I breakout easily if I can't wash my face for a day!

Yeah, that's why I said I wondered if it would work only for someone with dry skin who is not prone to breaking out. I have a friend who is very prone to breakouts, and she washes her face three times a day.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
It's probably because your natural oils were doing their job Smile And maybe you never really needed your oils? Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Notice that you've only been a day without using your products. As most skincare products yield cumulative effects, the effects of not using them might be cumulative as well. I recently had to go two weeks without my ISC Active serum because I ran out and didn't re-order in time. Let's just say my skin really missed it. But yeah I agree too many products can be more harmful than beneficial as all those ingredients might not be designed to work synergistically, even if they're products from the same line.

I think you're right. I have yet to find products that work well together. I just started some new products I got from skincarecentral, and will hope to report back on full results after I finish up the samples. My skin does look pretty good today though.

Here're the things I just got from them in sample sizes:

4% DMAE anime (oohhh talk about fishy smell!)
4% super viper serum
gentle cleanser
wild berry serum w/ kojic acid
5% glycolic acid wash (leave-on like toner)
Bioderma photoderm tinted sunscreen w/ SPF100 (or 50+) - This one makes my face look pretty dark.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Notice that you've only been a day without using your products. As most skincare products yield cumulative effects, the effects of not using them might be cumulative as well.

I agree. I paid attention to older people I know. Those who make efforts taking care of their skin generally look younger than those who don't.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:15 am      Reply with quote
i notice when i dont do much to my skin it does start LOOKING better.. but it can only be a few days of minimalism. but im just so conditioned to believe the whole routine is better than nothing its just a compulsive habit i cant even stop
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm, i always thought about this, but then im using this acne treatment kit and if i dont follow or miss out a step, and then get a spot then i just hate myself! thinking that if only i got up that 5mins early to cleanse and tone and moisturise... i do think that sometimes skin needs a break but i just cant afford to....
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I think so~Every time when I use too many products on my face I would be allergic.
And now I just use less and simple ones and let my skin rest 1-2 days every week
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Some people definitely over-do it with products. I like to keep my routine very simple and even then I still like to give my face a couple of product free days every now and then just to give it a break.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely agree that if I over do it with "actives" I will notice dry dehydated skin, especially vit. C serum and dmae serum. I cannot ever get enough facial oils though!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I truely believe that using too many products is bad for your skin. It can be VERY bad actually. From my personal experience, I get really dry, dehydrated and sensitive if I overload my skin with all sorts of products and when it gets really bad, I break out with rash Sad I think everything is fine as long as it's done in moderation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm rather ambivalent about using many products... I like the whole idea of having specific products that target specific problems (I rather think the specific-ness might make the product more effective but that's just me :P) but sometimes having to use so many products can be quite trying Sad Especially when you're tired out after a long day or still sleepy-headed early in the morning!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I truely believe that using too many products is bad for your skin. It can be VERY bad actually. From my personal experience, I get really dry, dehydrated and sensitive if I overload my skin with all sorts of products and when it gets really bad, I break out with rash Sad I think everything is fine as long as it's done in moderation.

OH I'm really with you. Indeed I have normal and a bit oily skin 3 years ago like many girls in my age. But when I begin to "look after" my skin, try many differnt brands and different types of product, my skin was ruined to some extence. I was very dry and very sensitive until I became aware that I had walked too far. Now, with the simplest products for 5 months, I think my skin recovered and not so dry/sensitive as it was before.
maliktai
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
After piling on one product after another for so long, I was always in the state of breakouts, dehydration, and on and on. I have simplified my routine down to a cleanser (same one day and night, although I use a cleansing oil at night), a daytime moisturizer with SPF. At night I use an AHA and sometimes, depending on what my skin feels like, a night cream. Once a week or so, I use a deep cleansing mask.

My skin is in far better shape, as is my wallet. Additionally, after spending so much money on products, I am using a drugstore cleanser and moisturizer (Eucerin), am switching between La Prairie Retexturizing Booster, Night Reform or Quick Refiner as an AHA, and I use Cellular SKin RX Biolipid cream at night, when indicated. The mask I am now using is Alba Deep Blue Sea (I think that's the name).

So far, so good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Actually good cleansing and lots of water does the trick. Using products are more of a feel good factor, and when you feel good, you look good!
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:

I agree, too many products will make your skin worse! I use to put many different products on my face during a day, and my skin became dry and even more sensitive than usually.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I used to use a good amount esp. moiturizer on my face, then, I found out that my skin got clogged up and harsh. Forawhile, I thought it's normal that my skin is like that because I am getting old. Later I found out, I can do exfoliating and get rid of dead skin. Now, I use a small amount and if I go a little bit excessive, I have to do exfoliating to get rid of excess...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |