Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DESPERATE FOR HELP!!! Best AHA, BHA and Retinol Product!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bubbilator
5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys

I can't seem to find much info on the Best AHA, BHA and Retinol Products.

I have been advised to use a BHA (Salicylic Acid) Peel once weekly, an AHA Treatment and a weak Retinol product to reverse first signs of aging.

I am 27 years old and am experiencing fine lines around eyes, lost elasticity and some minor pigmentation. Sad

Please help with your favourite brands... Oh preferably purchasable from EDS.

Many thanks, Bubbilator
Mabsy

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:19 am      Reply with quote
I don't use retinol so can't suggest anything there but I use Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear lotion which, if I remember correctly, is 10% AHA and 2% BHA. I have to say that I use this mostly to keep my skin even toned and bump-free (i.e. congestion free) and I find that it does a very good job.

I am curious as to why BHA was actually suggested to you for helping with lines, loss of elasticity or pigmentation. In my understanding AHA and retinol would help with these but not salicylic acid. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Umm yeah... the BHA Salicylic acid is to help clean out my pores and control minor breakouts Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Professional solutions do a 10% lactic acid peel which is pretty gentle. Is LA and aha or bha? bha I think. much more gentle than glycolic. You can build up times til you can use it every day if you want.

If you do want SA they do various strengths. Do you want bosth as a biphasic peel maybe?

Green cream 6 is an ok retinol, but I prefer ystheal by avene. I want to try psf retinol though, cos it has had some fab reviews!

with all of the above you need to start using them very slowly or you will get really horrible looking skin!

5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy for your advice

How often would I use the Jan Marini BioClear lotion?
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Pter Thomas Roth's Acne clearing gel combines both AHA and BHA - might be too harsh for a beginner to acids, also it has alcohol. Best retinoid would be the Avene retinaldehydes.
librarygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi bubbilator

I don't really believe in buying everything in one place but here are some suggestions:

1) Retinol
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream
I used to use this and it was great. Also, Allure awarded this "Best of Beauty Hall of Fame". If you check Makeupalley.com, you will see lots of great reviews.
Green Cream was way too harsh for my skin and for some reason it was more irritating to me than retin-A. Way too strong.

2) AHA
I have tried lots of different brands. I know many people hate drugstore products but a lot of them have come a long way. Alpha Hydrox makes great AHA products. For normal to dry skin, Alpha Hydroxy 12% Souffle. For oily, Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA. The 10% has green tea for antiox benefits.

3) BHA
I have only used Oily of Olay cleansing cloths and Neutrogena soap for BHA (salicylic acid) benefits. However, raves are all over the place for Paula's Choice BHA 1% or 2% bottles.

Hope that helped!
bubbilator
5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys for all your help!!

I have refined my list again Embarassed

Here goes..
Cleanser: JB Organic Cleanser

Toner: Caudalie Beauty Elixer

Serum: Cellular Skin Rx C+ Firming Serum

Day Moist: Jan Marini Spf 30 Lotion

AHA/BHA:
1) ASAP Clearskin Gel (AHA 15.5% buffered to 3.7 pH/ Sal 2%) FOR BREAKOUTS and blackheads
2) PSF Pumpkin Peel (once weekly)

Retinol: Going to leave this one off the list until I can find the Neutrogena Wrinkle Cream (not out yet in OZ)!!

Hylauronic Tx:
Which one?? Do I need a mask or a serum? When do I use this???

Cheers guys!!!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
How about the PSF retinol? And their HA come to think of it.

I'm giving my skin a break from glycolics at the moment and the PSF O2 spray seems to control any breakouts.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
bubbilator wrote:

I've used the Jan Marini Bioclear lotion...it is very potent for me. I could only use it 2x a week.
Mabsy

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
bubbilator wrote:

Well, I use it daily actually. At the moment in a larger quantity to get rid of some bumps, but even normally it's still daily as maintenance. I have normal skin though, not sensitive and not prone to dryness. A few times a week might be good if you're worried about it being drying. If you have very sensitive skin then you probably shouldn't use this. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I've also used Jan Marnie BioClear lotion. It was way too harsh for me and did nothing for my skin..expensive for what the ingredients are too!

The drugstore AlphaHydrox is praised by meany people on meany boards. It's cheap and effective...stings too Laughing
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi bubbilator - I think you're wise to hold off on introducing a retinoid at this point. Letting your skin get used to the other acids seems prudent. I love the Pumpkin Enzyme Peel and never use it more frequently than once a week -- sometimes only every ten days to two weeks! It really depends on how dry my skin is at any given time.

Some members are bigger fans of HA than I am -- it can be drying for me under certain conditions.

I also like Avene retinaldehyde products and I'm so happy to see you've included sunscreen on your list!

Hi donnababe -- It's true about AlphaHydrox! It's a good line for the money for people in the market for glycolics.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
HANDS DOWN:

I Feel Pretty BHA/AHA exfoliant. She's has two strengths...I'm just about through the 2%BHA/4%AHA.
I just purchased her 5% BHA as I'm working my way UP to the 5%BHA/10%AHA.

Her products are amazing...my skin has never been better since introducing her exfoliant and healing serum.

And they are handmade...and are less expensive that other products.
I'll never be without her products, as long as IFP is around I'll be ordering!!!!

http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/exfoliants.htm

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |