Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question about plain old Baby Oil.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ElanMJ
5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Has anybody ever had an allergic reaction to baby oil?
I have recently been bathing in it due to dry winter skin and I have developed this rash on my legs. The only thing that has changed in my routine is the adding of baby oil. I thought people with sensitive skin could use it. I have done some research and discovered that there is a commom allergy to mineral oil, which is what Baby Oil is made of. Also, it says it actually dries the skin out - same with petrolatum or vaseline. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks
lisaroberts
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Baby oil is mineral oil and fragrance. When you use it in the tub, you are creating a barrier of sorts. Skin creams, etc. cannot penetrate as easily.
I would also worry about vaginal infections if you use too much or stay too long.

hth

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
If you have dry winter skin and want to bath in something, try the Aveeno Oatmeal baths. Your skin feels silky after that but you have to soak for about 20 mins to get the full effect.
ElanMJ
5% products discount

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies. I have been doing a bit more digging on this topic - as I want to make sure that the rash I have is from an external source and that I am not having a food allergy or am not coming down with something.

I found this info and found it quite interesting that mineral is used very frequently in cosmetics.

"Although mineral oil is used liberally in many body-care products, it has been surrounded by controversy for decades. Some reputable sources say it is extremely dangerous and should never be used on the body, while others say it is safe, natural, healthy, and should be used liberally.

How are you supposed to know whether it’s good for you or not? Understanding how your skin function and structure dictates the best dry skin treatment, and gaining an understanding what mineral oil is and does, will give you the answer.

Mineral oil is a by-product of the distillation process that turns petroleum into gasoline. It has many industrial uses, including as a cutting fluid, a lubricating oil, a coolant, a preservative on utensils and wood cutting boards, a sealer for soapstone countertops, and as a cleaner and solvent for inks in fine art printmaking – to name a few.

One of the reasons it has become popular as a skin care product is that it forms a film over the skin that prevents the skin from contacting or absorbing anything in the environment. For example, it’s best to keep a rash dry, and mineral oil helps prevent the absorption of water.

Another popular use is in bath oils. In this case, it supposedly keeps moisture locked in, and makes the skin feel smooth. Since dry skin generally feels rough and flaky, the assumption is that if the skin feels smooth, then it is moist.

The hole in these theories is that mineral oil doesn’t allow the skin to ‘breathe’. While it may keep moisture in, it also prevents the body from absorbing oxygen and from eliminating toxins and other waste products – both of which are such vital bodily processes that their malfunction could create dry skin, and many other unhealthy conditions.

So, the skin problem is not being treated, it’s being masked, and possibly even worsened. This will quickly be obvious once you stop using the products, and find that the skin problems immediately reappear.

The solution is to use a product that locks in moisture and forms a protective barrier against environmental toxins, without leaving a greasy or oily film that prevents the body from absorbing oxygen and eliminating wastes – which is how a shielding lotion works. For that reason, thousands of doctors are now recommending a good shielding lotion instead of mineral oil products to help rashes and other dry skin conditions."
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I love, love, the way baby oil smells and feels when I use it, but I don't anymore. Crying or Very sad I just don't like what it IS, and wouldn't put it on a baby. SO.. I just buy plain almond or sesame oil and do the same with it. Costs a little more, but is so good for your skin.

The way I use it is, after showering, I rub in on while I'm still damp, and wait a couple of minutes and pat dry. You could put a couple of drops of fragrance oil (meant for soaps and lotions) if you wanted scent to it.

Sesame is the same thing in Neutrogena Rain Bath that is fairly expensive.

You can get 16 oz. of Organic Sesame oil here for $5.99:

http://www.healthybuyersclub.com/productdisplay.cfm?c1=Organic%20Food&sc1=Organic%20Oils&v=3&title=Unrefined%20Sesame%20Oil

I buy Coconut Oil from them. The kind you cook with. Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
ElanMJ, waaaaay back I used to love plain ol Baby Oil too. Unfortunately, like your skin, my skin did not love it so I ditched it. These days I use Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil which I HIGHLY recommend--- the smell is GORGEOUS, and it's very skin-friendly. I even use a squirt with my hand soap to soften my hands while I wash. Love it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I second Burt's Bees Baby Bee Apricot Baby Oil!! This stuff smells WONDERFUL! It has no mineral oil, whatsoever. 98% Natural. You should try it!!! I think you will love it! Smile
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
My favourite is Ren bath oil in rose, although the lavender is lovely too. Both based on sesame oil. Pricy but worth it.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE the burt's bee's baby oil also, but even better IMO is the Alba Kukui Nut Body Oil. mmmmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
I LOVE the burt's bee's baby oil also, but even better IMO is the Alba Kukui Nut Body Oil. mmmmm

What does the Alba Kukui Nut Body Oil smell like? Smile
schang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes, baby oil is definitely not good for the skin. I was using it this winter because I've recently moved to an extremely dry climate and it did nothing for me. Now after reading these posts, I know why!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest some organic virgin coco-creme or some cocount oil for the body. Smells divine. But if you're not into the coconut smell you might want to get some Almond oil instead. It's great for the body - really nourishing and nice scent. You can also mix in a few drops of your favourite essential oils too to create your own custom blend.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you who use Burt Bees baby oil, do you know if this will remove eye makeup? I've been using mineral oil for eons to remove my eye makeup and I didn't have any idea until I read these posts what it came from. Shock Shock Shock I don't want to use it anymore, but I do need something to take off my eyemakeup and not my lashes with it. Laughing thank you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
O... Is this only apply for baby oil or it applies to all others like the baby lotion, baby wash?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
I would suggest some organic virgin coco-creme or some cocount oil for the body. Smells divine. But if you're not into the coconut smell you might want to get some Almond oil instead. It's great for the body - really nourishing and nice scent. You can also mix in a few drops of your favourite essential oils too to create your own custom blend.

I love almond oil, especially in the winter because it is warming to the body when you rub it in. My preferred oil after dry brush massage!

And the laziest and most luxurious way to moisturize your body with oil is to just take a bath with it--the oil sits on the limn on the water and adheres to your body as you move and as you get in and out of the bath--pure relaxation!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Aimee3 wrote:
For those of you who use Burt Bees baby oil, do you know if this will remove eye makeup? I've been using mineral oil for eons to remove my eye makeup and I didn't have any idea until I read these posts what it came from. Shock Shock Shock I don't want to use it anymore, but I do need something to take off my eyemakeup and not my lashes with it. Laughing thank you!

Hi Aimee! Actually, I've never used it as an eye-makeup remover (oils always make my contact lenses cloudy...), but I imagine it would be just as good as baby oil. If you try it, please report back!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Aimee3 wrote:

babymax24 said she uses the apricot oil to remove her eye makeup!
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19366&highlight=burts+bees+baby+bee+apricot+oil
Aimee3
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the info and link. I'm going to look for Burts Bees tomorrow. I know I've seen it but I can't recall where, Confused I'll let you know if it works as well for me as the usual baby oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
wildflower wrote:

I love almond oil, especially in the winter because it is warming to the body when you rub it in. My preferred oil after dry brush massage!

And the laziest and most luxurious way to moisturize your body with oil is to just take a bath with it--the oil sits on the limn on the water and adheres to your body as you move and as you get in and out of the bath--pure relaxation!

--avalange

What's dry brushing? hmm

Lynn

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
hi lynn!

here is an exhaustive report on dry brushing, which will make you believe you need one immediately! I left mine back home in chicago, but I may well go and get one here in Paris--I miss it! Between swimming 5 days a week, lots of stretching, and dry brushing, my body never felt better (well, also a good diet and lemon water every morn as well).

Enjoy reading!

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingTechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Aimee3 wrote:
Thank you so much for the info and link. I'm going to look for Burts Bees tomorrow. I know I've seen it but I can't recall where, Confused I'll let you know if it works as well for me as the usual baby oil.

Cool. Smile Let us know how it works for you!
Aimee3
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Found Burt Bees apricot oil, but I do not care for it as an eye makeup remover. It's got quite a strong fragrance which is a bit nauseating to me at least, and the oil is so-o thick, much more so than baby oil. I've used it a few times already hoping I'd get used to it, but I'm sorry to say that I will not be using it for eye makeup removal anymore. Just too irritating for me, maybe others will have a different experience.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |