Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is this supposed to happen with Oil Cleansers?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone:

I recently started using MAC Cleanse Off Oil. For the first week that I used it, I really liked it because my blackheads on my nose were dissappearing and my moisturizer seemed to sink into my skin so much better. Plus, my face just felt softer and clearer. I thought I found my HG cleanser after years and years of problematic skin. However, this last week has been really bad. My forehead and chin have been breaking out with little white heads and my cheeks feel really tight and dry--almost scaley. I read the Oil Cleansing Method thread and a lot of people said they experienced an initial purging, which I can handle if my skin will normalize and continue to improve. I'm just not sure if the white heads AND the scaley dryness should be happening. Perhaps I need another moisturzier? Or perhaps the oil cleansers are just not working for me?

Any feedback would be awesome.

Cheers
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LL,

I've never used any oil cleanser except for OCM ... so I'm not the best person to advise you on a commercial oil cleanser.

However, I did purge with OCM ... which resulted in some whiteheads and other stuff ... although I never got the "dry and scaley" that you're experiencing.

With OCM, if your skin is feeling too dry ... you just adjust the percentage of Castor Oil ... [usually by adding some more of whatever other oil you're using] ...

Perhaps if you posted the ingredients we might be better able to suggest something. It could just be that your skin likes the oil cleanser ... but not the emulsifier that is in it so you can rinse it off ... or some other ingredient.

Sorry I can't be of more help ... hopefully others will have had experience with this particular oil cleanser. Very Happy

Good luck

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
LL,
I too experienced what began as dry and scaly and then moved into hurting and peeling. It felt as if my face was burnt. I did however make my own and didn't use a commercial blend. I decided to toss in the towel as I had a good cleanser I was happy with.

kimberly
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps MAC Cleanse Off Oil just isn't for you. If you like commercial oil cleansers, try Dermalogica PreCleanse. I use it as a makeup remover and have never broken out nor experience dryness. It emulsifies and washes off nicely but i'm way too paranoid about the oil so I double cleanse with my gel cleanser after.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LL,

I have never broken out from DHC cleansing oil nor my garden of wisdom one either. Granted i don't have acne prone skin. Maybe you should use a second cleanser afterwards if you're not already doing so. some people require the second step in order to avoid breakouts. If you're still breaking out after this, doll bird may be right that MAC isn't for you, and i would try to get samples of other cleansing oils before buying the full size. I use DHC, you can easily get samples from them (you can PM me and i will have them send you a sample as my friend or GoW has a little sample size for about $3 i think).

Kristen

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's reply. So one person did say that their skin purged so perhaps I should give oil cleansers (whether it be MAC or not) a decent experiemental time. The odd thing, I guess, is that some of my face looks a lot better (like the blackheads on my nose are less noticable and my cheeks don't seem as congested--although they are really dry). I'm not sure what to make of the whiteheads and dry/peely skin.

Here are the ingredients for MAC Cleanse Off Oil:
Cleanse Off OilINGREDIENTS: CETYL ETHYLHEXANOATE [] OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL []PEG-20 GLYCERYL TRIISOSTEARATE [] SQUALANE [] SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA)SEED OIL [] TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL [] ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) GERMOIL [] TOCOPHEROL [] CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER OIL [] CITRUSAURANTIUM AMARA (BITTER ORANGE) OIL [] LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA (LAVENDER)OIL [] OENOTHERA BIENNIS (EVENING PRIMROSE) OIL [] WATER\AQUA\EAU [] ROSACANINA (ROSE) FRUIT OIL [] LIMONENE <ILN30943>

Thanks everyone!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure I replied to this post but obviously I didn't Neutral

My suggestion was, if OCM seems to have helped but caused 'purging' after, then you could try to make your own mixture without additives - sometimes people find squalane a culprit for blocked pores.

You could try using a simple mixture of good quality olive oil + castor oil, and jojoba/avocado. Sometimes the processed oils become very drying and can causing a peeling condition, they are also very refined and can cause milia like blocked pores.

HTH
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't experience any purging when I used a cleansing oil, i.e. Decleors cleansing oil. But I guess everyone's skin is different. Smile
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I was using a cleansing oil too and broke out alot, so I stopped using it and now my skin is better. I liked using the oil too. Darn it.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
It doesn't sound like me to be purging, I think it's an allergic reaction to an ingredient. I would stop if I were you.
pipkin
5% products discount

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I've never had a reaction like that to any of the cleansing balms that I have used which are basically oils but as the others say everyone's skin is different. I was reading up on Squalane the other night on here and think as miranets suggests that this might well be the culprit, it's pretty high up on the list of ingredients. I would definitely ditch it for now.
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have decided to stop using the MAC cleanse off oil. My skin just continued to get more and more dry irritated. Darn. How odd that parts of my face looked clearer while other parts became a disaster. I thought that it would have a positive or negative effect on my entire face.

Anyways, I'm still interested in trying an oil cleanser because it did a good job of taking my makeup off but perhaps someone can recommend one that has different ingredients from MAC?

I'm so depressed about my skin right now. Dry, scaley, and full of pimples and scars. Sigh....
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I had the same problem with Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. I had been using it for years without any problems, but only used it on those days I wore waterproof sunscreen or makeup. Then one day I just decided to use it everyday and it left my skin in such a nasty state. Dry parched, flaky, bumpy with white heads all over my cheeks and I normally never break out (maybe 2-3 times a year I'll get a few pimples here and there). I was petrified and in the end decided to stop using it. I think cleansing oil to an extent dries out skin. However, I can't explain the white heads. TheresaL wrote a very interesting thread on cleansing oil. You should have a look.

Here's the link:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19347&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cleansing+oils+drying&start=0&sid=aa133c50df221d5f777e6dca2478cbce

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |