Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can one exfoliate too often?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Is it okay to use an exfoliant on yoru face daily? How often is benficial to the skin? I tend to exfoliate 2 times weekly, but am wondering if I would get more benefits by doing to more often.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
It really depends on what kind of skin you have. My skin is pretty tough and i can exfoliat everyday with no problem (with Jurlique Face Wash Cream or EP-II). Sometimes I might even exfoliat twice. I don't think I can use other manual scrubs everyday though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
In my opinion, I think you can over-exfoliate, but that might be because I have combo skin and am prone to break-outs. I think it also depends on the method of exfoliation. If I manually exfoliate too much, I break out. I gave up on manual exfoliation and I've been using IFP BHA/AHA every day and have no problems. I use a mask once a week and my skin seems to be happy (until the weather changes, which is fast approaching...Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on what kind of scrub you use as well. I have a scrub that is a gel with little beads in it. My esthetician stated I can use it everyday in the morning as a cleanser.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
If it's a very gentle exfoliant like Dermalogica Microfoliant for example then i'm sure it's ok to use a product such as that as an everyday exfoliant, but I wouldn't use a harsher one every single day.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
why does the method of exfoliation make so much diference?

If I use a scrub, I break out.

Yet I use clarisonic every day and it does my skin good.

Confused
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I only exfoliate at need during winter as my skin is more dry and sensitive. A soft face brush with my cleanser is the best, while eg Dermalogica daily microfoliant or skin prep scrub feels much harsher and dries my skin. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Definitely. I was over exfoliating awhile back and my skin was breaking out, red, raw and ironically, rough-feeling. I stopped all forms of exfoliation and my skin is 100% better. Listen to your skin, it'll protest if it's too much.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:03 am      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
Definitely. I was over exfoliating awhile back and my skin was breaking out, red, raw and ironically, rough-feeling. I stopped all forms of exfoliation and my skin is 100% better. Listen to your skin, it'll protest if it's too much.

I totally agree with FaithTruth. You really need to listen to your skin. I was exfoliating everyday with Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant and it really irritated my skin. I stopped using it altogether as I still found it too drying. Now I'm just exfoliating with Peter Thomas Roth Botanical Buffing Beads 3 times a week and my skin seems to like it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
You can definitely over exfoliate. It all depends on what you are using to exfoliate with and your skin type. If your skin is starting to become overly dry or irritated then you can bet you have over done it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
You can definitely over exfoliate. It all depends on what you are using to exfoliate with and your skin type. If your skin is starting to become overly dry or irritated then you can bet you have over done it.

That is right,my skin will dehydrated when i over exfoliate Sad
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I really think it depends on your skin type & condition. I unfortunately can't exfoliate any more than 2x a week otherwise my skin feels almost "raw"!! Confused
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think you have to use some common sense when it comes to exfoliation. If it hurts there's a problem. I'd rather be conservative than over-exfoliate and create a new problem, one that has to heal.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |