Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
REVIEW: Mop Top hair products for WAVY/CURLY hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 pm      Reply with quote

Products tested:

GENTLE CLARIFYING SHAMPOO
DAILY CONDITIONER
DETANGLER & REFRESHER SPRAY
ANTI-FRIZZ GEL
POMADE

Comments: I am always on the lookout for hair products that help tame my very course, wavy hair. I am in the process of letting it grow back out and there are days that I do not want to have to blow it straight so I need a curly/lazy day option! Well, I came across a review for this gel and decided to try the line. I am very pleased as they do not include any sulfates (shampoo) or silicones (so no build up).

The shampoo cleans well, lathers just enough and rinses away easily. The conditioner is light and I rinsed it out with cool water and it did not leave any residue. I always use a twist microfiber towel but never tightly wind it - just one twist to help absorb the dripping water. I then used the gel, which provides a light hold and does not result in any crunch factor at all. The detangler/refresher spray can be used on wet or dry hair - I sprayed some on after the gel then diffused with my Chi dryer/diffuser attachment (love this dryer). I lifted my hair with the attachment while drying and then used a tiny amount of pomade on the ends (just to test it out). It would work very well for any fly-aways and to define ends.

Conclusion: Love the line! Would also work well for thick hair that tends to frizz even without wave/curls.

Here are my results:

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, Scally, you looked just wonderful. Cute cute curls! Thanks for sharing. I'm in the market for anything to tame the poofiness out of my hair. I'm going to try WEN, and maybe I could try this one, too, but my hair is not curly and wavy like yours (I wish!). I wonder how it would do on straight (but not stick straight) hair.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Wow your hair does look fantastic. I have really, really curly hair and am always looking for products and will be trying the ones you've mentioned as judging from your photos you've had great results!

I have been using the Joico range of deep conditioners and really love them for helping make my hair feel less coarse but i'm not too keen on their styling products. Thanks for the review.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Bkkgirl, thanks! I know that even though the line is made for curly/wavy hair, it should certainly work well for thick, straight hair that frizzes. The line has no silicones, sulfates or waxes so it's very gentle but also controlling (how's that for an oxymoron when it comes to frizz)??? Smile

Sel, I know exactly what you mean! Us wavy/curly girls sure have it tough! I'm always, always on the lookout - my HG spray on (Jean Maniatis Hair Control) went away some time ago. It worked literal magic on my hair when sprayed on wet. Unbelievable. Alas, that is why I've been playing with new products - a practice I normally despise for my hair because nothing usually delivers. I am pleasantly pleased with Mop Top.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Is wax bad for hair? Have you tried John Masters Pomade? If so, how does it compare to Moptop Pomade? TIA. Smile

BTW, your hair looks gorgeous Scally!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:
Is wax bad for hair? Have you tried John Masters Pomade? If so, how does it compare to Moptop Pomade? TIA. Smile

BTW, your hair looks gorgeous Scally!

Poohlisey, wax just builds up so it's annoying (like cones, etc.). You can use ACV (apple cider vinegar diluted) rinse to rid your hair of build ups. In fact, Mop Top recommends using a baking soda dilution to do just that but I have been using ACV rinse for awhile now and it's my preferred method to keep the color and remove the junk.

I have not used John Masters pomade but I can tell you that the Mop Top one is very light, not sticky and works very well without looking like you have anything on your hair. I did not use much - just enough to test - and was pleasantly surprised with the texture.

Thanks for the compliment! I've been kicking the idea of going blonder but I think I will not do anything drastic except for add more highlights for a lighter look.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Scally,

Great to see you back on the board. So let me get this right - you are now officially looking about 16? You look utterly fab and the less makeup look suits you so well.

More hair inspiration for me. I think your hair looks good without lighter streaks. It matches your eyes and won't take so much maintenance.

Also a bit disappointed that you are using these mundane stuff in tubes and bottles that do not involve some sort of gadgetry. Do tell when you collect your next super sonic high frequency zappy thing. You are our bleeding edge skin technology early adopter!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Scally,

Great to see you back on the board. So let me get this right - you are now officially looking about 16? You look utterly fab and the less makeup look suits you so well.

More hair inspiration for me. I think your hair looks good without lighter streaks. It matches your eyes and won't take so much maintenance.

Also a bit disappointed that you are using these mundane stuff in tubes and bottles that do not involve some sort of gadgetry. Do tell when you collect your next super sonic high frequency zappy thing. You are our bleeding edge skin technology early adopter!

Blacklace! Hiya, you're so kind...I was thinking 36 but I'll take 16. Laughing Funny enough, I almost posted yet another pic with no makeup but thought, oh, hell, let me toss on at least a little slap. I'm getting away with wearing less and less these days thanks to both the tubes and gadgets. Smile My latest finds are beta glucans (just got the liquid oat beta glucan from skincareaddicted - my hero - and my skin LOVES it). Pearl powder is on order so that's a soon to be added goodie, as well. I've been doing more DIY these days, which is fun and saves some $$$.

Just so you know, I still love my Nuface and Quasar SP - speaking of which, I think I'll do a treatment right after I post this!

As for the hair color, I am trying to figure out how I can get the right shade to do it myself for yet more cost savings. I have only a few blond highlights here and there but I like the way it lightens/warms my skin. I was keeping it much darker a while ago and it was too harsh for my skintone. So, while I am liking the highlights, I'm not sure I can trust myself to maintain them without professional help. That's driving me nuts because it's a pretty penny for the hair color though much cheaper than the other stylist I had...decisions, decisions. What's a girl to do?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
You have the hair I wish I had. Mine is wavy but if left alone while it naturally dries goes kinda straight. It's a pain in the arse. Colour me green with hair envy here! Embarassed
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Nice to see you back Smile

I've got some similar problems to Scally; wavy/curly hair with a tendency to frizz, but mine's ultra-fine.

I just loved Mop Top the first time I used it, but every subsequent use left my hair dryer and crisper. I could never achieve the initial wow I had with it - such a shame.

I still occasionally use a little of the styling gel when it's very windy out, but otherwise I've moved on to the more moisturising cone and protein free, curly line; Jessicurl.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
You have the hair I wish I had. Mine is wavy but if left alone while it naturally dries goes kinda straight. It's a pain in the arse. Colour me green with hair envy here! Embarassed

Rufus, just so you know, I get more wave/curl when I use my diffuser bowl to lift my hair - it is very heavy/thick/course and the weight will pull it down while air drying.

Molly, nice to see you, too. I'm wondering how long ago you used Mop Top? I've been finding it very moisturizing so I wonder, if they've changed something. I also have used Jessicurl products (still use the conditioners on occasion) but the sprays/gel-like products didn't do enough for me. It's probably due to our differing hair types - it is so hard to find things that work.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Scally,

After two years of professionally highlighting my hair I have decided this year to take a break from the colouring. Despite how chic it looked, it has dried out my hair pretty badly and takes so much upkeep with the blowdrying etc to make it look worth the money. I would feel like a million dollars when I left the salon but then within a day or two it was the old battle with brassiness. I was using really great brands but it made my hair thinner as well. So if you are highlighting do it sparingly. There are lots of the at home kits but somehow they do not look as good as a professional in my opinion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Molly, nice to see you, too. I'm wondering how long ago you used Mop Top? I've been finding it very moisturizing so I wonder, if they've changed something. I also have used Jessicurl products (still use the conditioners on occasion) but the sprays/gel-like products didn't do enough for me. It's probably due to our differing hair types - it is so hard to find things that work.

It is excruciatingly difficult to find things that work, I do so agree. It was only in Nov/Dec I was using this and because of my initial WOW-this-is-the-hair-I've-always-wanted reaction I got the range for my sister too and it did the same to her. Must be the fine as opposed to coarse dimension.

I did read over on naturallycurly.com that some people have similar issues with it and they put it down to the curl enhancing salts being at a higher level.

Maybe I'll give the styling products another whirl seeing as you've dragged it back up. The Jessicurl seems best for the long-term health of my hair, but there's room for improvement.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
It is excruciatingly difficult to find things that work, I do so agree. It was only in Nov/Dec I was using this and because of my initial WOW-this-is-the-hair-I've-always-wanted reaction I got the range for my sister too and it did the same to her. Must be the fine as opposed to coarse dimension.

I did read over on naturallycurly.com that some people have similar issues with it and they put it down to the curl enhancing salts being at a higher level.

Maybe I'll give the styling products another whirl seeing as you've dragged it back up. The Jessicurl seems best for the long-term health of my hair, but there's room for improvement.

Excruciatingly difficult, ah yes, that is a better descriptive for the real pain we go through. It is likely due to texture differences since our hair is opposite that way. Perhaps, for my heavy, course hair, the curl-enhancing salts tame the tendency to frizz. I did note an interesting change as yesterday, I chose not to use the detangler/refresher. My hair did not curl as nicely so for me, at least, I will continue to do the following:

-Apply gel throughout, comb through
-Spray detangler/refresher, comb through
-Diffuse on low setting with cool air bursts

I would not recommend combing for really curly girls.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Tricia, I just want to say that not only your hair looks gorgeous, your skin does, too. You're getting younger every day! Smile
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Hi Scally,

After two years of professionally highlighting my hair I have decided this year to take a break from the colouring. Despite how chic it looked, it has dried out my hair pretty badly and takes so much upkeep with the blowdrying etc to make it look worth the money. I would feel like a million dollars when I left the salon but then within a day or two it was the old battle with brassiness. I was using really great brands but it made my hair thinner as well. So if you are highlighting do it o. You're getting younger every day! Smilesparingly. There are lots of the at home kits but somehow they do not look as good as a professional in my opinion.

You're right, girl. I'm keeping the highlighting to a minimum - as I used to do 2 processes (high/low lights). Now, it's just a little bit of blond along w/my touch up of normal color.

Quote:
Tricia, I just want to say that not only your hair looks gorgeous, your skin does, too. You're getting younger every day! Smile

Bkk, you are a sweetheart! I'm really happy with the work and outcome so far. Smile Thanks so much for your kind words.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Blacklace wrote:
Hi Scally,

After two years of professionally highlighting my hair I have decided this year to take a break from the colouring. Despite how chic it looked, it has dried out my hair pretty badly and takes so much upkeep with the blowdrying etc to make it look worth the money. I would feel like a million dollars when I left the salon but then within a day or two it was the old battle with brassiness. I was using really great brands but it made my hair thinner as well. So if you are highlighting do it o. You're getting younger every day! Smilesparingly. There are lots of the at home kits but somehow they do not look as good as a professional in my opinion.

You're right, girl. I'm keeping the highlighting to a minimum - as I used to do 2 processes (high/low lights). Now, it's just a little bit of blond along w/my touch up of normal color.

Quote:

Bkk, you are a sweetheart! I'm really happy with the work and outcome so far. Smile Thanks so much for your kind words.

You're welcome! Thanks for posting pics which show us results we can see with our own eyes.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
You're very welcome, Bkkgirl! Just an aside, everyone, I've found that what works best for me is to spray the detangler/refresher, then apply gel, then spray the detangler once more (sort of like sandwiching the gel in between). This works really well for diffusing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:18 am      Reply with quote
two things i'm curious about.... 1) do you have to wash your hair every day when you use this? 2) does it leave you hair soft or is it kind of crispy from product? TIA!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:03 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
two things i'm curious about.... 1) do you have to wash your hair every day when you use this? 2) does it leave you hair soft or is it kind of crispy from product? TIA!

Nope, no every day hair washing required. The instructions note details for 2nd day hair but I normally wash mine every 2-3 days and condition in between.

So far, I haven't had any crunch factor except maybe a tiny bit but a quick squeeze, and it's gone (this, I'd guess, is from the gel but I use a decent amount).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, just an update. I am finding that the styling products continue to perform very well. The best way for me is the sandwich method: spray, gel then spray again and diffuse for more curls. Most often, I've just worked a bit on my bangs and the hair in front and let the rest dry naturally. It's been working fabulously! Pics in the L2K thread show the outcome of this styling method.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Wow you look gorgeous. Very Happy Was totally checking our your lashes, which is fab and your skin just glows.

Your hair is lovely and now I am definitely going to check out MOP.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Cuppre! I am taking MSM and it is helping with my lashes and brows (and hair, for that matter, it's growing out of control). I've hardly used my Jan Marini and will not be repurchasing after it's gone.

MSM is my HG supplement!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Thanks, Cuppre! I am taking MSM and it is helping with my lashes and brows (and hair, for that matter, it's growing out of control). I've hardly used my Jan Marini and will not be repurchasing after it's gone.

MSM is my HG supplement!

hey there now! you're not giving credit to something you're using that i'm *sure* is helping as well -- SKB! no???
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:

MSM is my HG supplement!

hey there now! you're not giving credit to something you're using that i'm *sure* is helping as well -- SKB! no???

Hey babe. Actually, I've been flipping between shampoos of late and I have SKB in my Pureology conditioner (haven't used recently). I was also putting SKB on as a gel prior to trying out the Mop Top but haven't yet mixed it in order to fully test the new products. Smile So, unfortunately, in this case, I can't credit SKB even though I do intend to start using it again and do know it really helps! So nyah!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |