Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Had my TCA Peel (35%) Wednesday Morning!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm posting my experiences and my progress here to help others thinking about this peel and also as a record. Smile
I had this procedure because I wanted smoother skin and to try and help smooth out the acne scar I have on my left cheek. There is a lot of pigmentation around this scar so it makes it look deeper.

Morning of (Wednesday): 2 Tramacet's an hour before the procedure and 2 Sublingual Ativan 15 minutes prior.
Dr did nerve blocks above each brow, and in each cheek, then inside my mouth on each side. Honestly this was breeze aside from the one on my right cheek. It really hurt.

The actual peel did not hurt at all. Stung for sure, like putting alcohol on freshly shaved skin, but surprisingly I didn't find this to be very intense. It was definitely very warm. Dr started at the forehead and worked his way down. The whole thing took about 25 minutes and I was given a prescription for Percocet (I asked for it) and Neostrata Post Peel cream.

Immediately after: My face was swollen and I couldn't talk very well. My face wasn't really that red...it was rather white.
Went home and took a few things to ease me into sleep, since I have to sleep sitting up for the first few days. Still, I'm not in any real pain.
I was instructed to do vinegar washes 4 times a day. This actually stung a little on certain areas.

Day 2 (Thursday): The skin turns brown. The only way to describe how this looks is like horribly applied self tanner. Really! I'm in no pain at all, but I am still a little swollen. No peeling at all.

Day3 (Friday): My skin is very pink and the areas around my mouth are peeling. Not flakes, we're talking sheets. Hard not to pick them. No pain, but being covered in vaseline all day is not fun!
Some of my skin is actually normal toned, particularly the areas around my jaw. The rest are still quite red, but the brown has faded. The acne scar is actually gone, but this is most likely due to swelling. The pigmentation around it is gone though! Smile

Just a side note: I had a micropeel with Erbium laser in October and the laser actually hurt much more than this. I was redder for longer and actually in pain during and after the procedure. Having my laser treatment was like shaving your face in the Sahara desert with a very dull razor. TCA is a walk in the park by comparison.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will update every day, or whenever something changes.

Thanks for reading!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
How long to expect for things to approach normal in the look of your skin, and how long will it be before you'd consider another treatment?
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
They say about 2 weeks.
Dr said I could do another treatment 1 month after fully healing if I wanted, but I doubt I will need it.

Update: My whole face is very tight and skin kind of looks like a blistered sunburn, really white/red and if I touch it, it crinkles. It isn't peeling, but it is REALLLLY ready. I'm in no pain. It is crazy how fast it happened. Overnight, my face turned incredibly tight and dry. It's so neat!
The whole mouth area is literally peeling off in sheets though. The rest is just staying put and is really dry. I can't wait until it peels.
The skin underneath is SO smooth, and a pinkish color.
The skin is so tight that I can't eat too much. Oh well, coffee it is. Smile
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Day 4 Update: My skin is shedding quite a bit now.
It's still red but the skin has started to detach and so it's a lot less tight. Earlier this morning it took effort to gently sip coffee and now I can actually eat.
Today is the the first day I could shower but I left my face alone. After I got out I soaked a facecloth in tepid water and pressed it to my skin. That really helped remove some of the skin and relieve some of the tightness.
I applied a thin layer of the neostrata cream as well.

I am very impressed with what I see. Like I mentioned earlier, I had laser resurfacing. Even immediately after the procedure (laser) I could see my scarring. A few days after this procedure, and I can't see it at all...I'm feeling pretty hopeful. Time will tell.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my skin actually stinks. All the peeling skin and vaseline doesn't make for a nice smelling combo. It's not completely vile, but it's noticeable. I noticed the same smell when I had laser resurfacing.

Thanks for reading!
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Ok. I'm trying to imagine your face! Is the peeling so bad that you're reluctant to leave the house?
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I had the option of being reluctant to leave. LOL!
I'm pretty much confined to the house.
Even when I wasn't peeling, my skin was coated with a thick layer of goop and exposure to the sun/elements is an absolute no.
I've taken time off school and have someone to take care of me and go out and get me coffee, etc.
I'm starting to get cabin fever, but other than that it's going great.
To anyone reading and considering this treatment, just keep in mind it's not a lunchtime procedure.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Dalguy. I know I'll want one at some point. It sounds like you're doing great with it! Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Don't suppose there is much chance that you can do some before and after pics? Be interesting to see what difference it has made when you have healed up.

I think you are very brave BTW! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I really do want to post photos when all of this is over.
I've been taking pics the whole time, even got a few taken by the nurse during the procedure.
So, I hope to have something up for people to see.

Update for Sunday:
Nothing really new to report other than I am peeling like crazy. I woke up in pain because the skin was so tight on my jaw but a Percocet helped that. (Probably could have pushed me down the stairs and wouldn't have felt a thing. I am so thankful for Percocet.)
Now I'm just washing the old layer of vaseline off and putting a new one on.
My skin looks like a combination of horribly applied self tanner where I haven't peeled (or I will be peeling more) and sunburnt where I have peeled. (And won't be peeling in that area any more.)
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dalguy,

Did your doctor give you any tips on how to clean the skin or suggest a way to prevent a breakout after you stop using the vaseline? I seem to always breakout after a TCA and have always blamed it on the vaseline. Also, my skin never turned brown. I wonder if this is because you had such a strong peel?

Thanks for keeping us updated Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Dalguy
Great detailed report.I hope it heals quickly for you & gives you the desired results.
I really want a proper peel but I am scared of the after bit. I don't think I could ever arrange not to leave the house whilst I healed.I find it surprising that vaseline is recommended after a peel because it is so yukky on the skin. (technical term). I guess it is very moisturising, I don't know I am an ignoramous.
Anyway thanks for the report & please keep on with the updates. I may yet be persuaded that it is worth doing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love to see before and after pictures of this procedure.

A couple years ago, I had surgery to remove an abdominal tumor and one of my best friends came to the hospital to see me immediately after my surgery - it was a day or two after she had had a peel. I was still groggy from the anesthesia and the morphine (God, I LOVE morphine for pain control - wonderful stuff!) but noticed that the skin on her face was peeling off in sheets. This friend of mine is gorgeous (looks a lot like Angelina Jolie) but even she was pretty scary looking at the time. I was so glad to see her and because she's my friend, it didn't matter to me that her skin was falling off! The nurses were looking at her like she was some kind of circus freak. It just goes to show what a pal she was for leaving the house to come see me what with the fact that she looked like a leper and all!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
I'd love to see before and after pictures of this procedure.

A couple years ago, I had surgery to remove an abdominal tumor and one of my best friends came to the hospital to see me immediately after my surgery - it was a day or two after she had had a peel. I was still groggy from the anesthesia and the morphine (God, I LOVE morphine for pain control - wonderful stuff!) but noticed that the skin on her face was peeling off in sheets. This friend of mine is gorgeous (looks a lot like Angelina Jolie) but even she was pretty scary looking at the time. I was so glad to see her and because she's my friend, it didn't matter to me that her skin was falling off! The nurses were looking at her like she was some kind of circus freak. It just goes to show what a pal she was for leaving the house to come see me what with the fact that she looked like a leper and all!

morphine is a great painkiller. rofl
What a great friend you have, I'll bet you would have done the same for her in reversed circumstances. I know that I would for my best friend & she would for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew: If you didn't turn brown, you didn't go very deep and then vaseline isn't really needed. I needed vaseline to act as a replacement epidermis. Smile

loopylori: It's now Tuesday, less than week after I've had the procedure and I'm pretty much finished shedding. There are some spots around my jaw and forehead that have yet to come off but they will soon. The last few days my skin has been a little itchy, which was irritating! I think that's mostly because I haven't shaved since the procedure and my hair grows extremely fast.
I am red, that's about it. Something you could cover with makeup.
The vaseline is a must because my raw skin would be completely exposed without it, so it acts as a barrier, a replacement skin, etc. It is very important to keep skin moist because it will grow in these conditions. Vaseline is great for this. It's not applied so thickly that it's plopping into your coffee. (Mrs. Doubtfire much!)
Just an even layer. It keeps the skin comfortable too. Without it I would have been so dry and tight. It's strange, I hate emmolient products on my skin but since I had the procedure my skin didn't mind the vaseline and I even forgot it was there. It's not the same feeling as putting vaseline on healed skin.

So, my skin is SMOOTH. Like, HOLY CRAP smooth. It's RED, but I could seriously go outside right now without any stares. LOL!
My scarring: Practically invisible!!!! YAY!!!! I am so excited about this that I am just in the best mood ever. When the redness fades, I will have enviable skin.

I wanted to touch on a few more things that I might have missed:
- When the skin peels, it starts at the mouth. Not just for me, but for nearly everyone.
- The skin does not peel evenly. I had pieces hanging off my jaw, chin, cheek, forehead, all at once. It doesn't come off evenly at all, and you're absolutely not allowed to pick.
- When the skin does come off and you touch it, (or if you touch your face JUST before the peeling begins) it feels EXACTLY as if you took a few layers off an onion and poked at them and crunched them in your hand. Very brittle!
- Pain is subjective. I am 23 and the plastic surgeon said I was the most tolerant of all his patients. He said most people start to tear up at the first nerve block, some even need a fan waved at their skin to help keep it cool while the acid is applied.
- IMO, the hardest thing to deal with is after care. Sleeping sitting up, compresses, medications, being in the house until healing.

That's really all the extra things I can think of that might help people understand the whole procedure.

I'll definitely add updates when something happens and I will work on getting some photos to show everyone as well.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks again. I don't have a very high pain threshold but if it is only for a few days I think I will seriously consider this. I have seen people on the tv after peels where the skin is all dark, peeling & looks really tight & painful but they never say what the downtime is.So I really appreciate your frank & detailed description.
It is always nice when something works & makes you feel a million times better afterwards.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:21 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
Hi Dalguy,

Did your doctor give you any tips on how to clean the skin or suggest a way to prevent a breakout after you stop using the vaseline? I seem to always breakout after a TCA and have always blamed it on the vaseline. Also, my skin never turned brown. I wonder if this is because you had such a strong peel?

hey sundew where have you had your peels? I have just ordered an at home TCA 15 percent peel....will I be OK?
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
annachan wrote:
Sundew wrote:
Hi Dalguy,

hey sundew where have you had your peels? I have just ordered an at home TCA 15 percent peel....will I be OK?

Hi Annachan, I had my peels done in my parent's kitchen lol. My mother did them for me because I don't trust myself. The TCA was from Makeup Artist's Choice. I think/hope you'll be ok Smile. I break out really easily. Plus, the results from the TCA were worth a few non-scarring bumps. Hope your peel works out for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:

Hi Annachan, I had my peels done in my parent's kitchen lol. My mother did them for me because I don't trust myself. The TCA was from Makeup Artist's Choice. I think/hope you'll be ok Smile. I break out really easily. Plus, the results from the TCA were worth a few non-scarring bumps. Hope your peel works out for you!

thanks sundew...hope it will be fine.... ...do you have any tips ?..... I ordered from the same place (makeup artists choice)...it sounds great...hoping I wont have any problems getting it in the mail.....how long did it take you to peel and heal?...is 15 strong enough for a nice peel?.....
exciting though.... I think thats the only way to actually get rid of fine lines and firm up the skin....... Rolling Eyes
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
annachan wrote:
Sundew wrote:
Hi Dalguy,

Hi Sundew, what strength did you use? Smile
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Annachan, the only tips I have are the basics: prep the skin at least a week before w/alpha hydroxy products (I was using Environ's strongest glycolic toner),put the TCA on evenly (this is why I had to get help),avoid the sun, don't pick and peel off the shedding skin. If the directions say to avoid frosting, have a rag and the neutralizing solution ready to go to spot treat parts that begin to frost.

My first TCA was almost a year ago, and I think it took between 10-12 days before I was done shedding. The first time we did two layers of 12.5% (hth Lisey Wink) but I didn't keep it on more than 3 minutes. I had the most peeling that time, as we did only one layer the following 2 times. I think there was about a 10% improvement in my scarring each peel. I know some people want 100% improvement after one treatment but I'm personally really happy I took it slow (specially after reading Julie's philosophy over at Perfect Complexion).
Annachan I honestly don't know how the 15% is going to work out for you because it seems that everyone has a different experience. However, my mom used the 12.5% for the same reasons you are trying to address and thought she needed something stronger. So maybe you will see better results with the 15%? Smile

I didn't mean to hijack DalGuy's thread Embarassed I have been following this thread because I want another TCA and was contemplating getting a stronger one. Still very interested in how Dalguy is doing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
yyeessshhhkk 10 to 12 days.....oh my god sundew will I have to hole up at home? Cool ...I was reading somehwere (on eds or someother place dont remember)(wish they had peels to reveal a better memory!)Laughing ...that frosting was good......so GLAD I asked you! but yes we havent forgotten you DalGuy! how is your skin now? Question
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Thanks again. I don't have a very high pain threshold but if it is only for a few days I think I will seriously consider this. I have seen people on the tv after peels where the skin is all dark, peeling & looks really tight & painful but they never say what the downtime is.So I really appreciate your frank & detailed description.
It is always nice when something works & makes you feel a million times better afterwards.

I'm SO glad I could help. That's why I wanted to post my experience. I hope to have pics up soon. So glad to have helped!

Here's another update: I'm so incredibly impressed with the results. Even my smile lines (what little a 23 year could have) have diminished A LOT. My skin is incredibly smooth and even toned, and any irregular pigmentation I had (past acne breakouts, etc) are gone. I had shallow atrophic acne scarring on my left cheek which can barely be seen. At this point I barely care about it! There is still a little redness around this area but I told the dr to REALLY go to town on that area because of my concern with it.
My skin hasn't been oily at all since my "new skin" came through. Dr said this will unfortunately not stick around. In another few weeks I will be somewhat more oily. Which sucks. I am practically poreless. Dr said this will unfortunately not stick around either.
He said there will be a definite improvement, but I will notice a slight return of the pores, and the oily skin. Mind you, at the consult he said that the results as far as skin texture and acne scarring are technically considered permanent.

I paid a total of $1140, CDN not including prescription medication.

Trust me, I have spent much more, for a lot less. I highly recommend 35% TCA peels for pigmentation issues, fine lines and shallow acne scars.
I am incredibly happy.

I'm seeing the Dr tomorrow for a follow up so I will post what he said when I get back.
skinlover
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
dalguy wrote:

Morning of (Wednesday): 2 Tramacet's an hour before the procedure and 2 Sublingual Ativan 15 minutes prior.
Dr did nerve blocks above each brow, and in each cheek, then inside my mouth on each side. Honestly this was breeze aside from the one on my right cheek. It really hurt.

Just curious, why was you given Ativan prior to the procedure? If i am not wrong, Ativan is a relaxer pill right?
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:58 am      Reply with quote
hey dalguy
makeup artist choice website offers 30 percent peels for at home use.....I wonder how that would be for you as an 'upkeep'
I am still waiting to receive my 15 per cent ....the cost of getting peels seems so outrageous...it seems so much cheaper for an at home procedure..though I guess at 35 percent for the first time you would want to get that done at the docs.....I was having 'lunch time ' peels a while ago and paying 8000 yen (about 80 canadian) ....
I do believe that peeling is the only way to go for fine lines / scars ....products will never quite do the job....
looking forward to seeing the pics..... Very Happy
jenna99

Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Does the skin ever completely recover from a TCA peel?

Has anyone had any experience with using TCA on breast stretch marks?

Thanks Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |