Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

best way to cut fingernails?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
anyone?

i've tried using clippers, nippers, and files, and they always inevitably lead to raggedy ends and splitting down the road... my nails are really strong at the moment, but i do a lot with my hands, so the tips are always weaker. maybe there is a process that i am unaware of. any ideas appreciated.

thanks!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:49 am      Reply with quote
The Essie crystal nail file sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Supposedly nail clippers/regular files leave tiny tears in the nails that lead them to break, split, tear, etc., and make them more prone to water seeping in, the Essie nail file leaves a smooth "sealed" edge which prevents all this.

The only downside is that you are not suppose to use clippers at all so if you let your nails go for too long the filing process can be long and tedious.

On the upside, the file is suppose to last a lifetime and is well constructed and comes with a little sturdy plastic holder for storage. I got mine about 4 weeks ago and so far so good. No broken ragged nails. Unusual for me.

They retail for about $9USD and can be purchased online or at Ulta.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I use nail clippers straight across and file smooth with Sally Hanson's nail stone. Its the only way I can get nice, smooth edges without snags. Than I use a nail oil to moisturize.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I use nail clippers straight across and file smooth with Sally Hanson's nail stone. Its the only way I can get nice, smooth edges without snags. Than I use a nail oil to moisturize.

This is what I do and the nail tends to split in the middle because of the pressure--in fact approaching from the sides works better for me, and i guess i prefer an oval shape. I use a wet nail stone to smooth edges as well.

vonstella--thank you so much for the recommendation, I don't think they have essie here in france, but I will see if mavala has an equivalent tomorrow!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

This is what I do and the nail tends to split in the middle because of the pressure--in fact approaching from the sides works better for me, and i guess i prefer an oval shape. I use a wet nail stone to smooth edges as well.

vonstella--thank you so much for the recommendation, I don't think they have essie here in france, but I will see if mavala has an equivalent tomorrow!

--avalange

You can always order it online but, if you cannot find a retailer that ships to France I would be happy to CP it for you if you wanted to give it a go. Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
They do not have the Essie file here either, so I bought the Sephora glass file, which is working great! Trind also makes a glass file if you have a shop nearby that carries Trind.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Last week I was online at Folica.com ordered new Hot Tools curling irons and noticed they had a Mehaz 2-sided glass nail file so I got that too. The reason I hadn't already ordered an Essie or Sephora file was I hated to pay shipping just for a file. The Mehaz looks just like the pictures I've seen of the other files and it works great! I love it. BTW I love my new curling irons too. Smile

Folica.com does ship internationally too. I've ordered from them several times and have never had a problem. They ship the same day or next.

Here's the link to the glass file:

http://www.folica.com/Mehaz_2_Sided_G_d2644.html
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I don't work well with long nails, so I tend to cut mine and then use a Ruby Stone nail file. The scissor I use is a curved blade cuticle scissor (Revlon makes one). I find that the curved blade helps me get a bit of a head start on reshaping my nail when I file them.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I don't work well with long nails, so I tend to cut mine and then use a Ruby Stone nail file. The scissor I use is a curved blade cuticle scissor (Revlon makes one). I find that the curved blade helps me get a bit of a head start on reshaping my nail when I file them.

I should have added mine are not long either, I try to file every 4-5 days to keep them short and in good shape.

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:45 am      Reply with quote
truly enlightening, you guys, thanks!

curved nail scissor, why didn't i think of that in the first place? maybe because i associate those scissors with cutting the fingernails of a toddler. also, i'm going to go on a hunt for the glass/crystal files and if not, i found a french site that sells the essie for 9 euros online--and many others that sell it for 20!

--avalange

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:59 am      Reply with quote
I'm also using a glass nail file and think its really great. I'm also rubbing emu oil into my hands and nails and since I've been doing this, my nails have stopped flaking and breaking. I've tried every nail strengthener on the market and none of them have worked but the emu oil is definitely doing the job.
mistyann

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone!
The glass files are great for natural nails. You should never use emery boards, metal files, or abrasive files on your natural nails. (I'm a nail tech in IL) You wouldn't believe some of my elderly clients that used to carry the metal files or emery boards. Also, when filing your fingernails, it is better to do when dry. Wet fingernails tend to splinter, crack and flake more when wet. However, when doing toenails, it is better to do when wet. They are 'usually' stronger and thicker, so they're much easier to cut when wet. Now the above is what I was taught in cosmetology school, and so far has worked for me. Oh, and something else that will help natural nails. Believe it or not (with all the companies out there giving testimony to their product making your natural nails stronger, grow fast, yada yada yada, it's enough to make ya crazy) the one thing that still holds true from the good old days is knox gelatin. I am not one of those nail techs that will sell you a product just to make a dollar. (Which drove my instructor crazy Rolling Eyes o well...lol)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding the gelatin. How do you use it? Do you dissolve it in water and then soak your fingernails?

5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
only file your nails in one direction, don't do it back and forth. this may help prevent the splitting.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just found the crystal file last week at a beauty supply store and I love it. Its very gentle, but it takes longer to remove nail, so you dont wanna wait too long inbetween manicures Smile
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I use glass nail file.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
I use glass nail file.
the same! Wink
juliejuliejulie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:

On the upside, the file is suppose to last a lifetime

So long as you don't drop it Sad

But even though I did manage to break a glass file dropping it on a tile floor, I still highly reccomend them.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:30 am      Reply with quote
i m wondering whats the lifespan of a nail cutter? do u change one every few months? or do you change one only when you arent able to cut your nail properly?

5% products discount

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
when your clipping your nail start from one end and clip across, then file it to the shape you like then afterwards buff the edges down with a buffer. This is how the nail salons do it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |