Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone have a hamster?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I know this sounds a bit different. I have a hamster...only just got him almost 3 weeks ago. I initially wanted a dog, but since I live in an apartment and we're not allowed pets in the building, I couldn't have a dog. Then I came across a little hamster shop in a mall and couldn't seem to walk away from one particular hamster. So, I ended up getting him instead. I've never had a hamster before and I've tried googling information on how to care for hamsters, but there's not that much info online. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences with hamsters and if they can give me any advice how to look after my hamster.

P.S. His name is Boo. I named him after a character in Monster Inc. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I had three happy hampsters one after another when I was a kid. What do you want to know exactly?
Mabsy

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Oh I am *green* with envy andaman_gypsy! I used to have hamsters (yep, one after another as well) when I was a kid. I would love to have one here but they are actually ILLEGAL in Australia and are classified as pests. I've never seen one for sale here though know of someone that has one so there's obviously some sort of a black market for them here Laughing

I kept my little hamsters in a big aquarium (no water obviously, just before anybody accuses me of torture Smile) and fed them veggies and seeds mostly. Not sure if that is the proper thing to do but they seemed happy. I have so many funny stories of the hamster going AWOL and dad having to tear up half the house to find it *sigh* The good ol' days! Smile

Btw, here's some good info on how to keep them: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/rabbit_horse_and_other_pet_care/how_to_care_for_hamsters.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I didn't know hamsters are considered pests in Australia. I'm always learning something new everyday here on EDS Smile

My hamster is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I keep him a hamster cage. It's only 12" x 6", but I ordered him a bigger one already. It should arrive next week.

I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to feed him. The store where I got him from sold hamster mix which I bought, and they told me NEVER to feed him anything else. However, I've looked online and some websites say it's ok with some fruits, nuts or veggies. I've tried feeding him with cornflakes (which he really loves) and hobnobs (which he also loves). I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing though. Also, can I bathe him? I know it sounds weird, but I saw hamster shampoo at the pet shop. One more question, I read online that hamsters naturally go to the toilet in just one area of their cage. Mine seems to go anywhere he wants! I let him out to run around on the sofa or in my bed. He's getting so fast I can hardly catch him in time these days Smile

P.S. What breed did you guys have?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot. Thanks Molly and Mabsy for the reply and again Mabsy for the link. I just checked it out, but I still can't picture what it's like to use an aquarium as a hamster cage. How can you hang a water bottle? It would be cool to do up a cage for my hamster. I'm gonna look into it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Andaman - It was SO long ago, but one was a golden hampster (my favourite) who lived til a ripe old age.

I do think they like a bit of fresh fruit and veg, but I wouldn't give them sugary stuff like cornflakes and hobnobs.

And they do love to run around outside their cages; although they're not home-ing pigeons so you have to find them after. Get it a wheel so it doesn't get too bored in it''s cage.

I don't think as a desert animal they need bathing - depends what you've been up to with them Confused Better off leaving them to groom themselves I'd reckon.

They do tend to go to the toilet in one corner. It's probably just nervous and unsettled at the moment.
Mabsy

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Well, I was a kid and I wanted a hamster - I had no idea there were different breeds Smile I had two short-haired and one long-haired. I never bathed them that I remember and they seemed happy enough. I used to let them out to run around the apartment but one got stuck once behind this massive wall unit that my dad had to then dis-assemble to get the poor munchkin out from behind it. The little thing just kept wanting to go forward (where it was too narrow) and no amount of prodding would persuade him to reverse out Rolling Eyes

Aquarium worked fine but he had a little water bowl and food bowl inside. I have no idea how that worked for him but I don'd think I saw any dripper bottles available at the time (back in the 80s) as I'm sure I would have tried to persuade my parents to get one for the little cutie Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys! I've just been "experimenting" trying to find out what he likes to eat best. Now I feel so bad for having fed him hobnobs and cornflakes Confused It's just that the shop owners told me to avoid fresh fruits or vegs as they could give him a diarrhea. I have a question regarding a water bowl. Thing is I'm gonna be away for a week next week and his dripper bottles (I got him 2) aren't working well. I've been buying new ones from different brands and they all leak. I can't find someone who can look after him for me and I don't know what to do with his water supply. Should I just use a water bowl? I'm just paranoid that he wouldn't know where to find his water. Embarassed There is an exercise wheel for him in his cage, but he seems to like running around outside a lot more. He seems to go mental whenever I let him out. You should see my boyfriend and I running after and trying to catch him. It's just too funny.

By the way, how long can hamsters live?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:40 am      Reply with quote
I really wouldn't use a water bowl unless you're there everyday to make sure it hasn't tipped over. Not sure what to suggest sorry, other than finding a repliable dripper.

Ps. All of my hamsters *loved* apples and apple seeds.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
I really wouldn't use a water bowl unless you're there everyday to make sure it hasn't tipped over. Not sure what to suggest sorry, other than finding a repliable dripper.

Ps. All of my hamsters *loved* apples and apple seeds.

I think I'll have to look for a ceramic bowl to fill water in, so he won't tip it over. He has a habit of jumping into his bowls Smile Gosh, I just love him and can't stop smiling when I talk/think about him. My boyfriend thought I was a bit silly wanting a hamster at the age of 24. But why not? I never got to have one when I was a kid. Regarding apples, I'll try feeding him some. I really don't think he likes his hamster mix at all.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I think I'll have to look for a ceramic bowl to fill water in, so he won't tip it over. He has a habit of jumping into his bowls Smile Gosh, I just love him and can't stop smiling when I talk/think about him. My boyfriend thought I was a bit silly wanting a hamster at the age of 24. But why not? I never got to have one when I was a kid. Regarding apples, I'll try feeding him some. I really don't think he likes his hamster mix at all.

Well, you should probably do what the pet store advises but maybe get a second opinion if you're not certain they're right?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I honestly don't think they even know much about hamsters at all. That's why I started looking for information online. Plus when I saw how they keep their hamsters I felt really bad. They're fed such little food and water, and their beddings really smelled very badly.

Do hamsters get fleas and ticks?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lynn, hamsters are so easy to care for. Some are even so friendly that they become a classroom pet for little kids in school here. We had to bring one home over the weekend as the teacher asked that the hamster went home with some family every weekend. He was fed so fat and very friendly. He did not bite.

Hamsters can certainly get fleas, but not ticks. However if you don't have cats, I don't see how they'll get fleas.

Don't they sell a water bottle in Thailand for little pets? It makes it more easy to give them water since you just fill the water bottle with clean water and hang the water bottle on the cage.

Here they sell pine shavings to cover the bottom of the cage, so the droppings and urine odor will get absorbed by the pine shavings. Also a hamster cage here often has a tube for him to go up and down to the top and bottom floor. They like to climb. They also got a spinning wheel for exercise.

Do you have a teddy bear hamster (the one that doesn't have any tail)?

I see at pet shops here, they often give them small pieces of lettuce. Also I think they need a salt spool to gnaw on.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have about 14 teddy bear hamsters in total. My hamsters loved carrots and sunflower seeds. Why don't you try the pet shop for hamster food?
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Whatever you do, do NOT give your hamster a bath. Baths can kill hamsters. Very sad.

I know you will love and enjoy your new little friend.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Hi Lynn, hamsters are so easy to care for. Some are even so friendly that they become a classroom pet for little kids in school here. We had to bring one home over the weekend as the teacher asked that the hamster went home with some family every weekend. He was fed so fat and very friendly. He did not bite.

Hamsters can certainly get fleas, but not ticks. However if you don't have cats, I don't see how they'll get fleas.

Don't they sell a water bottle in Thailand for little pets? It makes it more easy to give them water since you just fill the water bottle with clean water and hang the water bottle on the cage.

Here they sell pine shavings to cover the bottom of the cage, so the droppings and urine odor will get absorbed by the pine shavings. Also a hamster cage here often has a tube for him to go up and down to the top and bottom floor. They like to climb. They also got a spinning wheel for exercise.

Do you have a teddy bear hamster (the one that doesn't have any tail)?

I see at pet shops here, they often give them small pieces of lettuce. Also I think they need a salt spool to gnaw on.

I know hamsters are relatively easy to look after and can be quite friendly. I think that's why it's one of the first pets parents let children have. I don't have any other pets at home, but I've noticed him itching himself a lot. That's why I started wondering if he's got fleas or ticks. I've looked for flea sprays in pet shops here, but I haven't found any.

Re water bottles, I think I must have bought at least 20 dripper bottles during the past 3 weeks. They all leak and very poorly made. I have to change his beddings (using wood shavings) everyday because the water leaks from his bottle and soaks his beddings. I'm afraid he'll catch pneumonia. Sad As for his cage, he has a wire cage at the moment. I just ordered him a really cool looking plastic one which is much bigger. The stockist told me he would have to order it in from Japan, so it's gonna take a while. I'm not sure if plastic cage are necessary better. I don't think ventilation is as good and I'm worried he might get stuck in those plastic tubes. Confused And yes, there's an exercise wheel and a little bowl filled with salt for him to roll around in.

I've started giving him fresh fruits and vegs, but only a very small amount as I was told it could give him a diarrhea if he had too much.

Oh, I'm not sure what breed he is really. There seems to be only one breed available here in Thailand these days as hamster are no longer popular. He's grey and white with a really really tiny stubby tail.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
I used to have about 14 teddy bear hamsters in total. My hamsters loved carrots and sunflower seeds. Why don't you try the pet shop for hamster food?

Thing is with pet shops here in Thailand they only sell products for whatever animals that are popular at the moment. As in, if St. Bernard dogs were trendy to have now, all you would see in a pet shop is big doggie clothes, etc. Hamsters were popular pets years and years ago and nobody seems to have a hamster anymore. Therefore, it can be difficult to find hamster products. I'm currently feeding him with hamster mix I bought from the shop where I got it from. There were only 2 types of hamster food available there - normal hamster mix and gourmet mix with fruits and nuts in it (kinda like muesli). I bought both, but he doesn't like the gourment one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
Whatever you do, do NOT give your hamster a bath. Baths can kill hamsters. Very sad.

I know you will love and enjoy your new little friend.

Thank you for the warning. Smile I will make sure not to bathe him.

You're right. I do love him and enjoy the little munchkin a LOT. I love traveling and can't seem to stay in one place for long. I'm supposed to go off traveling again next week, but now I really don't wanna leave him.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I went through 4 hamsters in 2 months time with my 5 year old - dog got 2 of them, one got out of cage and disappeared *probably dog got him* and one got out and never found him - so I basically gave up. I found it very hard to play with them, maybe cause I did not have any of them for very long. The kids got discouraged cause they really wanted to play with them, and they are kind of skittish, would always hide in the tubes and not come out.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
When I was a kid, my parents got me 2 hamsters - apparently 2 girls...we brought home 1 male and 1 female instead. I ended up with 8 hamster babies.

Did you know that hamsters can/will eat their young?! I didn't until I got'em. *shudder*

If I remember, we use to feed them fresh fruit and veggies...i think they sell hamster pellets or something too!

I lost hamster once ... looked EVERYWHERE for it and didn't find him. I was sooo tired, and went to lie down on my bed and there he was! Sleeping on my pillow! I think I was about 8! Smile
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
amylola wrote:
I went through 4 hamsters in 2 months time with my 5 year old - dog got 2 of them, one got out of cage and disappeared *probably dog got him* and one got out and never found him - so I basically gave up. I found it very hard to play with them, maybe cause I did not have any of them for very long. The kids got discouraged cause they really wanted to play with them, and they are kind of skittish, would always hide in the tubes and not come out.

Mine just peeps out of his house everytime I open the door (his cage is near the apartment door) or go near his cage just to look if there's food. If he can't smell anything he goes back into his house. If there's food, man he just runs right up, stands on his 2 back legs and looks at you until you give him some. Rolling Eyes Laughing I'm super careful when I let him out making sure either I or my boyfriend catches him in time before he runs off. I also make sure the cage's door is always locked. I was warned in advance he can get himself out if door is unlocked.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:
When I was a kid, my parents got me 2 hamsters - apparently 2 girls...we brought home 1 male and 1 female instead. I ended up with 8 hamster babies.

Did you know that hamsters can/will eat their young?! I didn't until I got'em. *shudder*

If I remember, we use to feed them fresh fruit and veggies...i think they sell hamster pellets or something too!

We thought about getting 2 hamsters (1 male and 1 female) initially, but changed our mind as we didn't wanna eat up with lots of hamsters! So now all I've got is my spoiled little Boo. And no I didn't know they could or would eat their young. A lot of animals do, I think.

I lost hamster once ... looked EVERYWHERE for it and didn't find him. I was sooo tired, and went to lie down on my bed and there he was! Sleeping on my pillow! I think I was about 8! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Oh if I ever lost him, I would literally tear my apartment down to look for him. I think it's cruel to leave him lost and die eventually from not having any food or water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I did eventually find 2 of them in the house. but the dog still got to them after that. I have a blue heeler and they are relentless. He would literally get the door opened (i dont know how) and tear apart the cage. I know, too cruel, my daughter was destroyed, but I could not keep doing that to the hamsters!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
amylola wrote:
I did eventually find 2 of them in the house. but the dog still got to them after that. I have a blue heeler and they are relentless. He would literally get the door opened (i dont know how) and tear apart the cage. I know, too cruel, my daughter was destroyed, but I could not keep doing that to the hamsters!

I've read stories how hamsters can chew through their plastic cages. That's the downside of the plastic ones I guess even though they look really cool.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |