Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone been to Japan?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, I'll be taking a trip to Tokyo/Hokkaido, Japan for a few days next month Smile Sort of a short Grad trip. Anyone know of any good shopping places? For makeup, skincare and clothes/accessories especially? Or just generally how to get around in Japan? Thanks so much Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Tiger Tim is in Tokyo I think...she's def in Japan anyway. So if she doesn't see this thread, PM her.

Ginza is the shopping mecca for international luxury labels

In Harajuku you can find quirky stuff in "Fleet Street" and department stores, amongst them a Disney store and a Condom palace...at least they were there when I was there in 2001.

Public transport in Tokyo is FAB! apart from the fact that the trains stop running around midnight. They have a well organised and functional subway system and city train system that are easily navigated and train station signs are in both Japanese and English.

There's LOTS to see and do...Hope you have a fantastic time!!!!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ruth! Can you remember roughly how ex stuff is over in Japan? Haha just so I'll know how much to bring there to spend Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
You can never have too much cash in Tokyo! Bring as much as you are willing to spend!!! and enjoy!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Samantha,

I am in Tokyo and have been to Hokkaido, so fire away with questions. Ruth gave you a pretty good summary there on Tokyo shopping.. how much to spend and how expensive things are depend on where you go to shop!

For makeup: def. head to a drugstore called Matsumoto Kiyoshi (they are everywhere) and have a myriad of Japanese make-up brands and stuff.

Skincare: also try Ameyoko near Ueno Stn. as they offer discounted skincare (both major Japanese and international brands)

Clothes/accessories: if you want quirky and not too expensive then def. head to Harajuku (near Shibuya)

Hokkaido.. um.. FOOD FOOD FOOD.. just stuff yourself silly up there!! And make sure to drink a TON of the Shirokoibito brand white chocolate milk (OH MY GOD YOU WILL THINK YOU DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN) - mind you it is like $2 for a little 5oz can... but worth EVERY SINGLE penny you will spend. Hot, cold, in cocktails..

OK, I am now drooling, so I have to go get dinner...

ETA: make sure you buy a 7 day train pass - especially if you plan to use train up to Hokkaido as it is SUPER expensive. But if flying up to there, then maybe you wont get your value out of a train pass.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Tokyo is lovely. Spent 10 days there last november. I lived in the Ginza area, nice hotel with lovely view over imerial palace and park, and only 1 minute walk from shopping heaven Ginza... You should be able to find most everything there, including the worlds most expencive fruit (yes, I bought an orange...) and inexpencive drugstores where you can buy everything. Unfortunately, I suck at japanese names, so you better listen to tiger_tim. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Been to Tokyo first, then Kansai region the following year. After the second trip, I'd say that I wouldn't have missed not going to Tokyo. The best thing was the Aquarium... although they say the one in Osaka is the best, it's actually twice as expensive and less than half as nice. Other then that.... Tokyo to Hokkaido is around $230 Canadian dollars by air if you take Star Alliance flight to Tokyo. Don't see the need for a railway pass unless you are visiting Kansai region as well. Subway is cheap.
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I was only passing Tokyo airport many times. Never visited the city. After seeing your posts, I am attempting to visit the city next time.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Hi Samantha,

I am in Tokyo and have been to Hokkaido, so fire away with questions. Ruth gave you a pretty good summary there on Tokyo shopping.. how much to spend and how expensive things are depend on where you go to shop!

For makeup: def. head to a drugstore called Matsumoto Kiyoshi (they are everywhere) and have a myriad of Japanese make-up brands and stuff.

Skincare: also try Ameyoko near Ueno Stn. as they offer discounted skincare (both major Japanese and international brands)

Clothes/accessories: if you want quirky and not too expensive then def. head to Harajuku (near Shibuya)

Hokkaido.. um.. FOOD FOOD FOOD.. just stuff yourself silly up there!! And make sure to drink a TON of the Shirokoibito brand white chocolate milk (OH MY GOD YOU WILL THINK YOU DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN) - mind you it is like $2 for a little 5oz can... but worth EVERY SINGLE penny you will spend. Hot, cold, in cocktails..

OK, I am now drooling, so I have to go get dinner...

ETA: make sure you buy a 7 day train pass - especially if you plan to use train up to Hokkaido as it is SUPER expensive. But if flying up to there, then maybe you wont get your value out of a train pass.

Thanks so much Tiger_Tim (btw I love your nick Smile) I'll be sure to stock up on make-up and stuff myself with food Bad Grin

By the way, would there be any more sakura flowers next month - I heard this year's flowers bloomed early?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
oh yes, Tokyo has not come out yet. I think down in Kyushu area they might have come early.

Plum blossoms have been.. but even if you miss the "big one", there are actually different varieties of cherry blossoms that can be seen into May even.

Tokyo is due End March / Beginning April
Hokkaido is due Beginning April / Beginning May

It is just the first blossoms that everyone gets excited about.. the delicate little pale pink ones.. personally, I prefer the pale pink double-blossom variety that comes out a few weeks after the first ones.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks again Tiger_Tim! Actually I'm not really into nature haha it's that my family members feel that since we're going Japan in Spring, shouldn't miss the sakura if possible!

By the way, one more question, are there any nice food/food places you'll recommend in Tokyo?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
for food, you hve to try the tsukiji market for really fresh sashimi. try to do a really early morning trip to the market. its very worth it. for 1000 yen, you can get a delightful "ladies set" .. many small niche restaurants ard.. and the queues can be quite long on weekends..
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
sorry I missed your earlier post, Samantha.

Oh gosh, there are too many places to even think of recommending... Laughing

Of course, we have our favorite restaurants etc. But most are not Japanese food establishments (mainly Chinese, Italian, etc.)

You really need to make sure to get to a restaurant that services Okonamiyaki and yaki soba though. YUM.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:23 am      Reply with quote
not sure if i m too late to add on Laughing i have never been to japan but i certainly love their drugstores there! they carry tons of cosmetics and skincare. think i will go crazy just going to one of the drugstores.

if you are really into cosmetics, there are quite a few brands you outta try to get your hands on:
- Kate gel liner & eyeshadow palette
- Canmake blushes
- Shiseido Majorica Majorca
- Lavshuca
- Kanebo Testimo
- Kiss Mascara (Volume)

some other high-end cosmetics at the counters:
- Jill Stuat (great stuffs and packing)
- Lunasol

if you are on a budget yet you want to try fresh and cheap sashimi, you can get those @ their supermarket. cheap and fresh. hths

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all Smile I'll be sure to keep in mind all your suggestions. Right now I'm waiting for that tour agency to confirm the tour and praying hard there'll be enough people to make up that tour Question

5% products discount

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
You have to try Ayura lip balm, it's the most fab lip balm I've ever had!! you can find its counter in most shopping malls.

for make up, you can try ipsa, it's perfect for Asian, though I am not sure for non Asians. The texture of its foundation is very smooth.

hope you enjoy your grad trip! Wink
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi NotJulia (by the way just curious - are you really julia or erm not? haha Smile)

I'll keep in mind and look out for Ayura! But IPSA I've tried it before and sadly it didn't do anything for me Sad I'll prolly check out shiseido or shu emura prices there instead haha Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
samantha185 ~ i think there are 2 types of Shiseido skincare. one of which you can find them @ the drugstores (which is cheaper) and there is another higher end range that can only be found @ the departmental stores.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |