Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Megan Gale sunscreen question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what the w/w stands for when it says 18%zinc w/w.? 18% is very high for a zinc oxide sunscreen but i tried it on my hand and it felt quite nice.

I was interested in the baby one as ive heard her others are too thick and heavy

http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=9741

Thanks

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 am      Reply with quote
I've no idea what the w/w means but you could go to the web pagewww.invisiblezinc.com and email them. Dr. LeWinn's Moisturising Sun Defence actually has a higher zinc oxide content, 19.0% w/w. I notice that the other ingredients listed on that product also have w/w after the percentage - must be something related to chemistry.

The Megan Gale sunscreens that are currently available are not as thick as the original formular that they came out with and they are much easier to apply. So I don't think its really necessary to opt for the junior version. I have been using the Megan Gale Tinted Daywear for a while now - I like it because of its bronze colour, although it may be too dark for some but its great it you don't want to wear makeup.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've no idea what the w/w means but you could go to the web pagewww.invisiblezinc.com and email them. Dr. LeWinn's Moisturising Sun Defence actually has a higher zinc oxide content, 19.0% w/w. I notice that the other ingredients listed on that product also have w/w after the percentage - must be something related to chemistry

The Megan Gale sunscreens that are currently available are not as thick as the original formular that they came out with and they are much easier to apply. So I don't think its really necessary to opt for the junior version. I have been using the Megan Gale Tinted Daywear for a while now - I like it because of its bronze colour, although it may be too dark for some but its great it you don't want to wear makeup.

Where do you purchase the Megan Gale sunscreens?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Here is a good defintion for w/w

an abbreviation for "by weight," used in chemistry and pharmacology to describe the concentration of a substance in a mixture or solution. Properly speaking, 2% w/w means that the mass of the substance is 2% of the total mass of the solution or mixture. The metric symbol g/g has the same meaning as w/w.

HTH
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
"skincarefreak" Where do you purchase the Megan Gale sunscreens?

I live in Oz and they're available from David Jones and some pharmacies. To buy on line, go to the link given by Carolb69 http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=9741 I think they ship to most countries.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
"skincarefreak" Where do you purchase the Megan Gale sunscreens?

I live in Oz and they're available from David Jones and some pharmacies. To buy on line, go to the link given by Carolb69 http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/viewitem.asp?idproduct=9741 I think they ship to most countries.

Keliu,

Oh my, I didn't even see that! Thank you!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm kinda interested in the sunscreens by Megan Gale, but I can't find that much information on it! I do know that nano particles of zinc oxide (smaller and micronized zinc oxide) are used.

Does anyone have ingredients lists for the products? I can't find ingredients anywhere.

I'm in the US, are there any US distributers of Megan Gale sunscreen? I've seen some news reports of a US launch in 2008, does anyone have any info on that?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Ok with some more googling I already answered one of my questions:

It will be called Invisible Zinc, will be launched in May on US home shopping channel QVC.

I'm still really curious about ingredients!
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the tinted Invisible Zinc for a while now. I have combination olive skin and I have a problem finding a good sunscreen that doesn't make me look and feel like an oil slick or have a white cast. Although I find the zinc a little thick and heavy on my face I haven't found anything better (admittedly I haven't tried a lot) .

On the back of the tube it states Active Ingredient: zinc oxide 18% w/w
Preservative: phenoxyethanol, caprlyl glycol.

I no longer have the box so can't provide any more details.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Invisible Zinc is actually the term used for zinc that is invisible when applied to the skin as opposed to normal zinc creams which can be white or coloured and are applied as a skin covering to stop sunburn. It was formulated by an Australian company:

http://www.ganehill.com.au/

and more info is available on their website. Many companies now use their invisible zinc as the sunscreen agent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 3:11 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

It will be called Invisible Zinc, will be launched in May on US home shopping channel QVC.

Invisible Zinc:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 154mg/g
Preservative: Diazolidinyl urea

Invisible Zinc Tinted Daywear:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 18% w/w
Preservative: Diazolidinyl urea, iodopropynl butylcarbarmate
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Cool! But you said that it doesn't make you look like an oil slick, but then you say that it thick and heavy on your skin. So then, is it like a medium weight moisturizer?

Frangipani wrote:
I have been using the tinted Invisible Zinc for a while now. I have combination olive skin and I have a problem finding a good sunscreen that doesn't make me look and feel like an oil slick or have a white cast. Although I find the zinc a little thick and heavy on my face I haven't found anything better (admittedly I haven't tried a lot) .

On the back of the tube it states Active Ingredient: zinc oxide 18% w/w
Preservative: phenoxyethanol, caprlyl glycol.

I no longer have the box so can't provide any more details.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I've looked through the website, and although I see some descriptions of products, I can't find any ingredients lists...

Do you use it? How do you like it?

bushy wrote:
Invisible Zinc is actually the term used for zinc that is invisible when applied to the skin as opposed to normal zinc creams which can be white or coloured and are applied as a skin covering to stop sunburn. It was formulated by an Australian company:

http://www.ganehill.com.au/

and more info is available on their website. Many companies now use their invisible zinc as the sunscreen agent.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
It seems they only publish their active ingredients. That's not enough for me... Sad
I'm too much of a skin care control freak now not to want to know every little thing that goes into something I put on my face, lol.

Keliu wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Invisible Zinc:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 154mg/g
Preservative: Diazolidinyl urea

Invisible Zinc Tinted Daywear:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 18% w/w
Preservative: Diazolidinyl urea, iodopropynl butylcarbarmate
senesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
18% w/w, means that is 18g or Zinc Oxide in 100g of final product.

It is very normal for pure Physical Sun Screens have a higt percentage of either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
It seems they only publish their active ingredients. That's not enough for me... Sad

I'm not a huge fan of either the invisible zinc or the Tinted Daywear. It is very thick and I also found that with the Tinted Daywear, the tint would go streaky after awhile.

I'm now using Sofina Nuance UV and NCN Mineral Sheer Tint SPF20. Maybe the ingredients in the Sofina Nuance won't suit you - but I find it an exceptional product and haven't had any problems with it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing. I can't get excited about this product because of both the mixed reviews it gets and also the lact of ingredients listings.

Keliu wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of either the invisible zinc or the Tinted Daywear. It is very thick and I also found that with the Tinted Daywear, the tint would go streaky after awhile.

I'm now using Sofina Nuance UV and NCN Mineral Sheer Tint SPF20. Maybe the ingredients in the Sofina Nuance won't suit you - but I find it an exceptional product and haven't had any problems with it.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Nimue, I have never used the product so can't comment on the various textures. However, most products these days which say they have zinc would probably be using invisible zinc. The question is specifically what is in the Megan Gale brand and I don't know but if I remember, I will have a look at the packaging as it is stocked locally.

Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I'm too much of a skin care control freak now not to want to know every little thing that goes into something I put on my face, lol.

Here is the ingredient listing for this one as posted here:

Megan Gale Invisible Zinc Sunscreen 16% Zinc Oxide
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 154 mg/g.
Other Ingredients: Water, Zinc Oxide, Propylene glycol, polyethylene, sodium chloride, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Diazolidinylurea, Glyceryl Laurate, Iodopropynyl butylcarbanate, Isostearyl neopentanoate, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate.

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/view_topic.php?id=2957&forum_id=32&jump_to=140087
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I can't say I'm too excited about this product. That's mostly a good thing, since it's local only on the other side of the world...

havana8 wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Here is the ingredient listing for this one as posted here:

Megan Gale Invisible Zinc Sunscreen 16% Zinc Oxide
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 154 mg/g.
Other Ingredients: Water, Zinc Oxide, Propylene glycol, polyethylene, sodium chloride, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Diazolidinylurea, Glyceryl Laurate, Iodopropynyl butylcarbanate, Isostearyl neopentanoate, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate.

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/view_topic.php?id=2957&forum_id=32&jump_to=140087
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
wow, thats news to me I didn't know it has 16% zinc oxide, can anyone tell me how much this is, the OBAgi sunscreen cost me almost $40.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering if anybody had any updates on the US release of this? I'm interested in trying it, but not with international shipping. Smile I know from the website that it's supposed to launch this year, though I haven't seen it on QVC yet... My google searches didn't turn anything up, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |