Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

TKB Trading or GOW for Pearl Powder?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone, I can't decide on where to order pearl powder. There are only two sources with reasonable pricing:
TKB Trading 1 oz $7
and Garden of Wisdom 1 oz $8.2
Plus whatever shipping they want to charge Rolling Eyes

I know Carekate and Mary both get their pearl powders from TKB Trading and I do trust that they only order from reliable sources.
However, there are more things (actives, carrier oils, essential oils, vitamins) that I want to order from GOW. I think if I order everything from GOW it would save me some shipping etc. But, I haven't seen reviews on GOW's pearl powder except on their website they said its not fine enough to make MMU with. Think
Does that mean it might not dissolve as well? I am still not ready to invest in a blender so I would prefer something mixable by hand.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
From what I heard GOW Pearl Powder is really finely milled, and TKB is not all that fine.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
From what I heard GOW Pearl Powder is really finely milled, and TKB is not all that fine.

Hmmm Think Then why GOW advertise its pearl powder as not fine enough for MMU? And, I thought TKB's is fine enough for MMU...I thought TKB sells makeup grade things....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

Neither TKB's or GoW's pearl powders is fine enough for MMU, and they are both of comparable micron size I think ... Smile

I always run my TKB pearl powder through the coffee grinder for a while when I'm going to use the pearl powder in my Primer or Night Time Treatment. I think you'd have to do the same with GoW.

That said, however, there are a few things to consider.

If you have other things you want from GoW then I'd just order from them. HOWEVER GoW has a message up that says they are working hard to catch up on the orders they have and that it will be 7 to 10 days before they can get to a new order.

That means, for me in Canada, that it's going to take a minimum of 3 weeks before I get my most recent order from GoW.

So ... if you want the Pearl Powder sooner rather than later ... order from TKB [who have been very fast in getting their product to me] ... and order the rest of the things you want from GoW. Very Happy The shipping from TKB is about $4.50 U.S.

If you need all of the stuff at the same time ... then go with GoW. Very Happy

Now ... aren't you glad that I jumped in here? Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Lisey wrote:

Hmmm Think Then why GOW advertise its pearl powder as not fine enough for MMU? And, I thought TKB's is fine enough for MMU...I thought TKB sells makeup grade things....

OOPS. I mean the silk powder... Embarassed

I buy my pearl loose powder from ebay. It's really fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PURE-LOOSE-PEARL-WHITENING-FACIAL-POWDER-MASK_W0QQitemZ120078150239QQcategoryZ78061QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
GoW does sell pearl powder fine enough to be used in MMU but Markey does not have it listed yet. you can email her regarding that but Mary is right, Markey is one busy bee lately.

If anyone just wanted to buy some pearl powder from Markey, the shipping is cheaper, $2.50 since it will go first class.

HTH, Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:44 am      Reply with quote
The only problem with the Ebay person is that he/she only ships to the U.S. ... so that doesn't help those of us in Canada much! Laughing

I'll bet there are a few places in Chinatown in Toronto where you can purchase finely milled pearl powder! Mad

On the other hand, I haven't had a problem with TKB ... I grind the stuff in a coffee grinder for a bit ... and then I run it through a fine screen strainer ... and what didn't get ground up stays in the screen! Laughing It takes about a minute or two ... and it's worked just fine. Very Happy [No pun intended! Smile ]

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
GoW does sell pearl powder fine enough to be used in MMU but Markey does not have it listed yet. you can email her regarding that but Mary is right, Markey is one busy bee lately.

If anyone just wanted to buy some pearl powder from Markey, the shipping is cheaper, $2.50 since it will go first class.

HTH, Kristen

Thanks Kristen,
I think Markey must be really busy because she hasn't got back to my questions regarding shipping charges to Canada. So, those fine enough to be used in MMU would dissolve more easily?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Wild Cat,

Neither TKB's or GoW's pearl powders is fine enough for MMU, and they are both of comparable micron size I think ... Smile

I always run my TKB pearl powder through the coffee grinder for a while when I'm going to use the pearl powder in my Primer or Night Time Treatment. I think you'd have to do the same with GoW.

That said, however, there are a few things to consider.

If you have other things you want from GoW then I'd just order from them. HOWEVER GoW has a message up that says they are working hard to catch up on the orders they have and that it will be 7 to 10 days before they can get to a new order.

That means, for me in Canada, that it's going to take a minimum of 3 weeks before I get my most recent order from GoW.

So ... if you want the Pearl Powder sooner rather than later ... order from TKB [who have been very fast in getting their product to me] ... and order the rest of the things you want from GoW. Very Happy The shipping from TKB is about $4.50 U.S.

If you need all of the stuff at the same time ... then go with GoW. Very Happy

Now ... aren't you glad that I jumped in here? Laughing

Mary

Thanks Mary,
I guess I will just order everything from GOW because even if I got pearl powder from TKB sooner, I won't have anything to mix it with Mad

Btw Mary, this must not be the first time you order from GOW, did you end up paying a lot of duty? Did Markey lower the value of the package?
Thanks.
Wild Cat

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if pearl powder is the same as mother of pearl powder? Just finer?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
I'll bet there are a few places in Chinatown in Toronto where you can purchase finely milled pearl powder! Mad
Mary

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking about. I don't really know Toronto Chinatown that well, but I have few colleauges at work that do. I'll ask them to recommend a place and I'll see what I can find.

It would be cool to be able to buy at least something skin-care-related without having to use the internet Wink .

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:
I wonder if pearl powder is the same as mother of pearl powder? Just finer?

I think Mother of Pearl is made from the shell, not from the actual fresh water pearl. I would think its less effective. IMO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rubby,

Let me know what you find out! I just paid $38 in Canadian Duty on my most recent shipment of Pearl Powder! Shock Laughing

Getting it from Chinatown in T.O. would be MUCH better!

Mary

ps ... did you get my email?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:

Thanks Kristen,
I think Markey must be really busy because she hasn't got back to my questions regarding shipping charges to Canada. So, those fine enough to be used in MMU would dissolve more easily?

Hi Wildcat,

I would email Markey again if it's been awhile since your first email. She is usually very good but she is still looking for help at this time and is swamped so, just in case Smile .

I know Markey does her best so that packages can pass through customs without a problem, and i remember scarlett talking about breaking up big orders into 2 packages to avoid a duty charge.

i would also think that the more finely ground pearl powder would dissolve more easily. But if you're not going to use the pearl powder for MMU, i would stick to regular kind, i heard dissolving it in warm water helps a lot. on the other hand, an ounce of pearl powder is a lot, so maybe the finely ground one would be a better choice. can you tell i am indecisive? Laughing

Hi Mary,
chinatown is a really good idea and dang! what a hefty custom charge, so sorry about that!

zumyla, I have heard both are different. on GoW it says mother of pearl powder is "calming and a natural sedative". It costs about $6 for 4 oz which is a lot cheaper than pearl powder, but i think the benefits are probably less too.

HTH, Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="skincareaddicted"]
Wild Cat wrote:

Hi Wildcat,

I would email Markey again if it's been awhile since your first email. She is usually very good but she is still looking for help at this time and is swamped so, just in case Smile .

I know Markey does her best so that packages can pass through customs without a problem, and i remember scarlett talking about breaking up big orders into 2 packages to avoid a duty charge.

i would also think that the more finely ground pearl powder would dissolve more easily. But if you're not going to use the pearl powder for MMU, i would stick to regular kind, i heard dissolving it in warm water helps a lot. on the other hand, an ounce of pearl powder is a lot, so maybe the finely ground one would be a better choice. can you tell i am indecisive? Laughing

Thanks skincareaddicted,
I will wait couple more days to email Markey again since I still haven't finish compiling this never-ending shopping list for GOW Shock And, I am just as indecisive as you are Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wildcat,

It just gets longer and longer, the more you wait! Laughing Hehe, i should talk, i have placed like 6 orders ever since I discovered Markey and GoW this year....

and you're welcome of course.

Kristen Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

HTH, Kristen

Thanks Kristen,

Hi! Can you resend your question to me?
My computer shut down the other day without notice, like it gices notice for anything, and all of my e-mails to answer shut down with it.
I just didn't see yours to retrieve it. Smile
I promise to answer this evening though. I hate promises.. LOL
Markey Smile
jcyhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I've just got Pearl Powder from TKB, the order was fast delivered to me!
I remembered I've found a thread about "pearl powder mask recipe", however, I couldn't find it again from searching by "pearl powder". Does anyone have any idea and could give me the link...or any recipe will be great.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
jcyhung wrote:
I remembered I've found a thread about "pearl powder mask recipe", however, I couldn't find it again from searching by "pearl powder". Does anyone have any idea and could give me the link...or any recipe will be great.
I think this is what your looking for: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17656&highlight=pearl+paste

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Just a general question about pearl powder here. I was looking at some websites offering pearl powder products and they banged on about the pearls being harvested from some beautiful lake in China which was fed by the glorious waters of the yangzte (sp?) river. Just I thought the yangtze was one of the most polluted waterways in the world and wouldn't want to put anything on my face that had come from within a hundred miles of the place!

So question is, how do you know where your pearl powder is coming from?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:49 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
So question is, how do you know where your pearl powder is coming from?

Right, this is the question I was thinking about since I've heard pearl paste the first time in my life... And how do you know the powder is not counterfeited or watered down with something else ?

And yes, the Yangtze is one of the most polluted waterways in the world ...
jcyhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:47 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
jcyhung wrote:
I think this is what your looking for: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17656&highlight=pearl+paste

ah yeah yeah, that's the one, thanks so much carekate
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I just bump it up again, hoping that someone of the pearl-pros will say something...
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if any members here buy from any other sources?
Im going to HK soon and as pearls are popular in China, I checked out some of the famous healthcare and chinese medicine websites and was wondering if any of you buy these:

http://www.waiyuentong.com//en_production.php?ProdCatLv1Id=1&ProdCatLv2Id=2&ProdId=25

or

http://www.euyansang.com.sg/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=5687&prmenbr=5224&lang=en_US&cgrfnbr=5476

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |