Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Does Aloe causes acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VoltesV
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I tried a couple of things that caused me to breakout. Aloe seems to be a common denominator. Aloe is supposed to be soothing to the skin so I'm wondering whether it causes acne in some people?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
It soothes my skin.. Aloe vera gel has never broken me out before.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Lisey, I use it when my skin is irritated, as it soothes and moisturizes with a cooling effect.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that aloe is very soothing. It usually calms my skin, if it is breaking out and gets rid of the redness.

Strange you are experiencing a breakout from aloe. Maybe you are allergic to another ingredient mixed with the aloe? Confused If it's causing you to breakout then you should probably stop using it.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Aloe tightens and firms and also provides a sort of protective layer on the skin. I can see a possibility of you getting bumps and such if oils/dirt gets trapped under this protective layer.

Aloe itself is probably non-comodogenic though.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard (I think on the Garden of Wisdom website) that staph bacteria can flourish in aloe. The majority of my nasty scars on my face I think are from a topical staph infection. A family friend that is a doctor said that it was staph. I went to the dermatologist and the jerk didn't tell me what it was, just gave me antibiotics, and it went away.
*Note: I was not using aloe at that time.* Just wanted to point out that you might not have acne. *I'm not a doctor...just throwing that out there.

I actually have been using only aloe the last 3 days on my skin because I'm trying to figure out a new skin care routine. No breakouts so far and it actually seems to be helping more than what I had been using. Maybe patch test pure aloe and see what happens?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Hmm could you be allergic to aloe vera gel? Because for me aloe vera gel helps me get rid of spots actually... Seek a doc's opinion would be best!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
aloe can also be quite drying, so you could be breaking out from the dryness...

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

--avalange

That's interesting. I never knew that. I'd always thought aloe vera was supposed to be very moisturizing and soothing as a lot of after sun products contain aloe vera. Even worse, I didn't even know you could break out from dryness! Where have I been all this time? hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
avalange wrote:

--avalange

That's interesting. I never knew that. I'd always thought aloe vera was supposed to be very moisturizing and soothing as a lot of after sun products contain aloe vera. Even worse, I didn't even know you could break out from dryness! Where have I been all this time? hmm

yes, aloe made my winter breakout much worse by putting it on... i thought it would soothe but it just made it more dry, and the derm confirmed that it can be drying when not used with oils, hydrosols, etc. also because it is so good at forming a barrier on the skin--this is why it is great for burns.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Some forms of "pure" aloe have additives in them, or others that don't may have bacteria in them. Aloe dries my skin out too, you could try mixing with small amounts of glycerine and hydrosol
wickawer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:53 am      Reply with quote
I shouldn't think so i used to take aloe vera capsules which in my book for pcos said it would help to relieve the symptons of acne.
whitedewy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:30 am      Reply with quote
smooth my skin, never broke me out
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:18 am      Reply with quote
Depending on what type of aloe product I was usually fine with it. It's when it's mixed with other ingredients that there can be a problem such as breakouts.
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:43 am      Reply with quote
I agree Aloe is very soothing.It never irritates me.
But perhaps nothing is 100% safe to everyone.
jeannie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
To me, it has never irritate, whatever type.
shelliegal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
VoltesV wrote:
I tried a couple of things that caused me to breakout. Aloe seems to be a common denominator. Aloe is supposed to be soothing to the skin so I'm wondering whether it causes acne in some people?

i do not think aloe cause acne. i do not have bad acne but once or twice i do break out with one but nothing serious.

i'm moisturizing with aloe and my skin's fine. i have dry almost sensitive skin. anything with acne medicine in it will cause me to break out in red rashes on my face. ie: clearisil
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 am      Reply with quote
I don't think aloe cause acne maybe is it not 100% aloe vare
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
according to my physican it doesnt caused acne. infact it helps to heal scar.
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
It helps to reduce inflammatiom. It never broke me out.
Shez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
perhaps you might be allergic to aloe?
I thought aloe is a healing agent and folks actually eat it for health reasons (i.e. improved skin condition)
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:10 am      Reply with quote
to me ,never.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Anyone can be allergic to any ingredient.

There is no ingredient that is non-allergenic in everyone. If you are sensitive or allergic to an ingredient you can get acne from it.

I work professionally in the cosmetic/skincare industry, and I have dealt with people that are Aloe sensitive and cannot use it, so it does happen.

Not the most common sensitivity related ingredient, but common enough that I have dealt with a handful or so of people who have an issue with it in the past three years.

The most common reactors in order, in skincare products are:

Fragrances
Preservatives
Plant Botanicals/extracts
Dyes - to a lesser extent, often the FD&C and some Lake dyes, but botanicial dyes as well.

Being reactive/sensitive to something is not the same as allergic. Allergic is generally a system wide immune system response, cause hives, etc. Usually only 1% of the population.

But sensitively is MUCH more common. And usually includes things like acne, rash, itchiness, redness, irritation, swelling, dryness etc.

It can also be percentage based. A lower percentage product may not bother you, a higher percentage may cause a strong reaction.

Long-term use of ingredients you are sensitive to, even in small amounts, can also contribute to long term increased sensitivity and re-activeness to other ingredient's, oxidative damage, increased skin dryness or oiliness, etc

Acne is not only caused by clogged pores, it is very commonly cause by irritating ingrediants as well. And the skin reacts to the irritation stress, by causeing pimples to form.

Usually if a pimple takes 2 to 4 weeks to form its from a clogged pore. If it occurs immediately, upto one week, it is generally irritation/sensitivity related.
lululun
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
It doesn't cause acne for me. I have combination-dry skin.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
somebody will be irritable for aloe
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |