Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What are everyone's favorite preservatives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
The more and more I sink into the DIY world, I worry that my concoctions would go bad before they are used. I know using everything distilled can help prevent bacteria growth. This is the list of preservatives from GOW:
Black Willowbark Extract / 1 oz
$3.05
Cosmocil CQ / 1 oz
$4.05
Germaben II / 4 oz
$7.60
Germall Plus Powder / 2 oz
$5.95
Germall Plus Liquid / 2 oz
$4.45
Liquapar Optima / 4 oz
$6.75
Methylparaben NF (powder) / 1 oz
$4.35
Microbial *Nipaguard* / 2 oz
$2.10
Optiphen / 1 oz
$4.45
Salicylic Acid Pwdr / 2 oz
$5.20
Stabilized Oxygen / 2 oz
$5.35
Supraprein / 1 oz
$7.05
Suttocide A / 4 oz
$4.70
Urea Powder / 2 oz
$2.35
Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram FCC/USP
$12.85

I have no idea what other things can be used as preservatives. Help Please

Pray

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for asking this Wild Cat! I would like to know too. My 'order in process' at GOW is only missing preservatives Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Bump! Anyone?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat, I'm very interested in this myself. Wish I had answers. No doubt someone with more experience will see this and have some recs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

I use both Liquipar and Germall Plus. I decided on those two after researching ... although I don't know if they are the best or not. They seemed to be the broadest spectrum ... and required low percentages in the compounds ... and seemed to be tolerated by just about anyone.

So far I, myself, haven't had any adverse reactions from either of 'em! Very Happy So that's a good sign! Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary,
Do you use Germall Plus in the liquid form or the powder form? Do they have different effects?

Where are all the DIY witches? Think

Keep coming!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

I use the Germall Plus liquid. I've never used it in powder form ... so I don't know if there's a difference.

The Germall Plus liquid is, however, very viscous ... almost difficult to work with ... so I'd be interested in hearing about the powder form! Very Happy I may get that the next time.

I never bothered much with preservatives when I was making stuff just for my own use. I made very small batches ... and kept them in the fridge. Very Happy

Once I started making the same things for other people, however, I needed to get preservatives into the concoctions. Very Happy

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've been eyeballing the Supraprein and Stablized Oxygen from GOW.

The Supraprein consists of:
Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract
Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract
Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Extract
Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract
Lavandula Augustifolia (Lavender) FlowerExtract
Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract
Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract
Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Root Extract
Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract

and here's some more info on it: http://www.naturesanswer.com/biob/articles/articles.asp#

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
I've been eyeballing the Supraprein and Stablized Oxygen from GOW.

The Supraprein consists of:
Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract
Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract
Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Extract
Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract
Lavandula Augustifolia (Lavender) FlowerExtract
Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract
Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract
Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Root Extract
Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract

and here's some more info on it: http://www.naturesanswer.com/biob/articles/articles.asp#

Thanks amnis,
Supraprein sounds really great but its out of stock at GOW. Have you used the stabilized oxygen?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
This doesn't cover all the preservatives you've listed (IMHO, if you are making a larger batch or sharing your creation there are a few listed here I wouldn't put alot of stock in for it's preserving qualities) - but anyway, I had this saved on my favorites you can kinda read thru and see what each does. HTH

http://ispcorp.com/products/preservatives/content/products/index.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:

Thanks amnis,
Supraprein sounds really great but its out of stock at GOW. Have you used the stabilized oxygen?

Nope, not yet... still researching it.

Candy8865 wrote:
This doesn't cover all the preservatives you've listed (IMHO, if you are making a larger batch or sharing your creation there are a few listed here I wouldn't put alot of stock in for it's preserving qualities) - but anyway, I had this saved on my favorites you can kinda read thru and see what each does. HTH

Yeah... I worry about not adequately preserving a creation with an all natural preservative... but I really would like to avoid using synthetic ingredients. Thanks for the info, Candy.

Do any of you know a simple way to test for bacteria, mold and/or yeast without sending it off to a lab to be tested?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
This is what I use. http://snowdriftfarm.com/chek-it.html

I do have a lab that I use for other items, but for more products this fits the bill for me.

amnis wrote:
Wild Cat wrote:

Thanks amnis,

Nope, not yet... still researching it.

Candy8865 wrote:

Yeah... I worry about not adequately preserving a creation with an all natural preservative... but I really would like to avoid using synthetic ingredients. Thanks for the info, Candy.

Do any of you know a simple way to test for bacteria, mold and/or yeast without sending it off to a lab to be tested?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Germaben II (methylparaben, propylparaben), and now use Phenonip (phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben)
for my sugar scrubs and salt scrubs. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I am also very interested to Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram FCC/USP. I didn't know Vit-E itself can act as preservative. Wonder how much will be needed and if it also enhance the antioxidant effect? Think

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
I am also very interested to Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram FCC/USP. I didn't know Vit-E itself can act as preservative.

Hi Wildcat!

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Vit. E is an antioxidant only, and will help extend the life of oils and keep them from going rancid. Vitamin E does not prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast and mold in products. I use Vitamin E and no preservative in my butters and balms (which do not contain water). Although my body scrubs are oil-based, I do use Phenonip preservative because water can be introduced into the product with wet hands dipping into the jar in the shower. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Vit. E is an antioxidant only, and will help extend the life of oils and keep them from going rancid. Vitamin E does not prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast and mold in products.

Thanks MystyPines,
If you are right, then I don't think GOW should put Vit-E under the preservative section. I am still waiting to get a reply from GOW's Markey regarding Vit-E.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

I think, if I'm not mistaken, [and if I am, I'm sure that someone on here can refute this] that while Vitamin E is an antioxidant, it also helps preserve the oils in a given formulation. The same applies to Grapefruit Seed Oil.

Neither do a thing for keeping bacteria in water from forming ... but they do help preserve the oils.

When I was researching preservatives, I had hoped that grapefruit seed oil would be good for that ... but I discovered that antioxidants are "preservatives" only for oils. Crying or Very sad

I admit that it's a little confusing ... which is why this is a great thread ... Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Wild Cat,

I think, if I'm not mistaken, [and if I am, I'm sure that someone on here can refute this] that while Vitamin E is an antioxidant, it also helps preserve the oils in a given formulation. The same applies to Grapefruit Seed Oil.

Neither do a thing for keeping bacteria in water from forming ... but they do help preserve the oils.

When I was researching preservatives, I had hoped that grapefruit seed oil would be good for that ... but I discovered that antioxidants are "preservatives" only for oils. Crying or Very sad

I admit that it's a little confusing ... which is why this is a great thread ... Very Happy

Mary

Thanks Mary,
AHhhh...now it makes sense more...I was also hoping Vit-E and grapeseed oil can serve two purposes. I guess there is no way around it. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, the process of elimination begins:
or
Optiphen / 1 oz

These two look promising and available.
Somehow stablized oxygen sounds kinda fishy

A silly question, Embarassed
Even though I will add some oil into the concoction, it doesn't make it "oil based" right? so Liquapar Optima / 4 oz wouldn't be as suitable for my purpose right? Confused

More help needed!! Think Think Think

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
or
Optiphen / 1 oz
or
Stabilized Oxygen / 2 oz

These three look promising and available.

Even though I will add some oil into the concoction, it doesn't make it "oil based" right? so Liquapar Optima / 4 oz wouldn't be as suitable for my purpose right? Confused

More help needed!! Think Think

I think I just might add to your confusion but I noticed this stuff called Gamma Oryzanol Powder on GOW today under "*What's New". I want to make a body oil and this stuff sounds promising.
"On the ground of our results, we can conclude that gamma-oryzanol may have a potential application for the stabilization of lipidic raw materials."

-Never mind, I read your post wrong Embarassed Sorry!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
I used to use Germaben II (methylparaben, propylparaben), and now use Phenonip (phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben)
for my sugar scrubs and salt scrubs. Smile

Thanks MystyPines,
Phenonip is not available at GOW...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
Wild Cat wrote:
or
Optiphen / 1 oz
or
Stabilized Oxygen / 2 oz

These three look promising and available.

More help needed!! Think Think

I think I just might add to your confusion but I noticed this stuff called Gamma Oryzanol Powder on GOW today under "*What's New". I want to make a body oil and this stuff sounds promising.
"On the ground of our results, we can conclude that gamma-oryzanol may have a potential application for the stabilization of lipidic raw materials."

-Never mind, I read your post wrong Embarassed Sorry!

Sundew, thanks anyways...I just read the description of gamma-oryzanol, its nice to know though Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I decided on trying Germall Plus Powder because it is cheaper and require less amount to work. And hopefully the powder form would be easier to mix.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |