Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone been to New Zealand
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking to go over around September this year for a 2-3 month holiday. If we like the place, we might consider working there. Is there anyone who could tell me if:

- It is worth touring the North Island? Heard it is not fantastic as compared to the South Island.

- Is it worth getting a car as opposed to renting one?

- Could we apply for a work permit after going over or do we have to get one before?

- Any good holidays accomodation to recommend? Our budget is roughly NZ1000 a month, so that leaves out the city. 1 bedroom is good enough.

Thanks!
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I've been to NZ once but that's quite a few years back so sorry can't help with hotels etc. Perhaps you can try the NZ official tourism website?

I toured both North and South and actually didn't really find one worse than another. However my impressions of NZ are really that it's nature and more nature haha (of course and sheep and more sheep as well :P).

Though extreme sports like river-rafting/bungee are cool if you like such stuff Smile And do take ride on a horse through the terrain, it's really a different sensation altogether (if you can't ride, there's lessons or you can have a assistant to lead your horse :P)

However, shops close early in NZ, if i don't recall wrongly most times by 7-8pm the shops will close and unless you're in big cities, shopping is not very erm well rewarding if you're looking for bargains in fashion/accessories etc.

But it's a lovely country for a restful and soothing time and the people are very friendly so you'll enjoy your time there for sure! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Lucky you!
I can only answer a few of those questions. If you go for 2-3 months, you have more than enough time to explore both islands. If you go in Sept be prepared for some chilly weather. I went in early October for 3 weeks and was quite unprepared clothing-wise for the cooler temps & rain.

Both islands are stunning. The south is more visually dramatic, the glaciers, coastline and gorges. Every turn in the road reveals something you'd see in a postcard. So IMO definitely get a car, and drive. Most of the roads outside of the large cities are two-lanes. Be sure to stop and see the small private zoos that are posted on hand-made signs. I actually got to hold a lion cub at someone's private farm where there were two adult lions and lots of exotic birds.

I found the NZ people delightful, and friendly. Very interested in where you're from, what you've seen, how you've liked it, and where you're going. Every little town has homes with 'tidy' English style gardens in front. Every motel, it seems, has a trampoline (!) and you get a glass bottle of fresh whole milk when you check in. In my mind it was kind of like how I picture the U.S. might have been in the 1940's in a simpler time. Not that I'm saying it's backwards ... I found it wonderful and had a great trip.

If you're into extreme experiences be sure to bungee-jump off the Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown.
Caspers Mum

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't, but my Dad's older brother has lived there since the early 70's. He & his wife have lodge/hotel on the south island.

http://www.karamealodge.co.nz/
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Chocolat"]
Be sure to stop and see the small private zoos that are posted on hand-made signs. I actually got to hold a lion cub at someone's private farm where there were two adult lions and lots of exotic birds.

Very interested in where you're from, what you've seen, how you've liked it, and where you're going. [quote]

That's really interesting and very good to know...thanks!

I'm never was that interested in travelling but got a job with the Singapore Airlines Group about 2.5 years back with came with the perk of a free air ticket each year. So far I have used both and both were to Japan (Tokyo, then Kansai). Have been to Bangkok and Pattaya too. Could shed a little on the highlights of Kansai if you are interested in going there.

Am quitting around August, so I figured it was a good time to take a break and finally focus on writing stories which would be my choice of a career. In addition, my partner loves travelling (Hongkong, China, Dubai) and would like to try expanding our relatively new architectural media company overseas.

*Not that we can afford a break though (just thinking of the opportunity cost... *sweats*) but we choose to Smile
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum wrote:
I haven't, but my Dad's older brother has lived there since the early 70's. He & his wife have lodge/hotel on the south island.

http://www.karamealodge.co.nz/

Thanks... it's a beautiful place Smile

Will remember if we end up in that area.

We are looking to base ourselves at a long term accomodation... then staying 1-2 nights at sightseeing spots that we'll venture to.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya from NZ Smile

Answers to your questions -

1. South Island is definitely more scenic - you could try the TransScenic rail tours from Upper South Island all the day down to Christchurch, one of the top rail travel routes in the world. It would cost around the $200-$300NZD mark. If you want to do the same for North Island, it is the same Auckland to Wellington route (12 hours). If you are into the scenery/bush walk type of thing avoid the big cities like Auckland (we do have that kind of thing but not as spectacular). I would only suggest visiting Auckland if you want to get a mixture of Metro life, bad traffic (sometimes Smile), and lovely surf beaches around West Auckland.

2. You could try something likewww.trademe.co.nz but as for cheap deals you could only most likely find them while you are physically in the country actively looking. Perhaps you could rent at first, but once you see a car then consider something. Depending on your budget, most "reasonable" cars are around at least $2500+ - make sure you get AA reports done!

3. I am not so sure about this, better to check with Immigration

4. Trywww.bookabach.co.nz it lists holiday short-mid term accommodation for all budgets. September is 'off peak' holiday season, holiday home rentals are always half price.

Perhaps you can try getting your hands on some AA and Jason's travel guides once you arrive, they are free and some of the best out there.
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="miranets"]Hiya from NZ Smile

Answers to your questions -

1. South Island is definitely more scenic - you could try the TransScenic rail tours from Upper South Island all the day down to Christchurch, one of the top rail travel routes in the world. It would cost around the $200-$300NZD mark. If you want to do the same for North Island, it is the same Auckland to Wellington route (12 hours). If you are into the scenery/bush walk type of thing avoid the big cities like Auckland (we do have that kind of thing but not as spectacular). I would only suggest visiting Auckland if you want to get a mixture of Metro life, bad traffic (sometimes Smile), and lovely surf beaches around West Auckland.

Hi im from nz as well, i agree with miranets visit both islands.
Adventure:
If your into snow boarding visit mt ruapehu (north island) or mt cook (south island).
And if you want to go surfing, the surf is better on west coast so taranaki up to ragan are good spots. Taranaki also has a mountain as well - very beautiful. You can go surfing and tramping on the same day.
Adventure (if your into that sort thing) is there for the taking. Heaps to do. Bungy jumping is also at lake taupo.
Best way to find out look on internet,
heaps of info - accommodation etc. www.aatravel.co.nz www.accommodationz.co.nz www.jasons.com/new-zealand/ -
Hope that helps Very Happy

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |