Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Jane Iredale Pressed Powder and The Handi
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jlcov1
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
I am hoping that some of you ladies maybe able to help me.

I am using the Jane ireale pressed powder and the handi.My problem is that my face seems sore when appling the powder. I do have dry skin but always make sure I have well mositurised.
I'm not sure if it's the powder or if it's the handi which is irritating my skin.
Any ideas would be gratelly appreciated.
Thanks
Jackie
jlcov1
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Sorry spellings not my stongest point or typing skills!! Should say greatly apppreciated
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi jlcov1 - I use JI Pressed Base and the Handi brush without any problems. Some synthetic brushes can be softer than natural ones though and a lot of forum members are raving lately about Alima brushes (which seem to be reasonably priced). If using a softer synthetic brush doesn't work, perhaps the makeup is causing your sensitivity.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I think the Handi may be made from animal hair, so you might be allergic to it. It does cause some itching and hives on my skin sometimes.

BTW I've had my Handi for a couple of years now, previously with no probs at all. Over the last few days, however, and for no apparent reason, the hair's been falling out tremendously. Not just a little shedding, but literally clumps of the stuff.

Anyone else experienced this?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I've used the Handi brush when using the JI pressed foundation without a problem, but I've noticed that it is much firmer than other brushes (like the Mac kabuki or the Alima 25). I suspect that this firmer consistency is necessary to ensure adequate pick-up of pressed as opposed to loose mineral foundation.

So...if you have no problem with other animal hair brushes, then it may be the firmness of the brush that is causing your problems. Have you thought about switching to loose powder foundations?--you have a lot more choices in brushes that work with them.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jackie! My skin is super sensitive and I have had the same problem--- most face brushes have made my skin really raw and sore. In the end I figured out that my skin was too sensitive for animal hair brushes, so I switched the high-quality synthetic brushes and wow, what a difference! Now putting on my powder is actually relaxing for me!^-^ Hands down, my favorite face brush is the Alima #25, found atwww.alimacosmetics.com. It is sooooo soft and it makes my powder feel creamy going onto my face. They are out of stock right now (they are very popular and never stay in stock for very long), but Kate from Alima has told me that they will be back in stock any day now, so you should be able to get one soon.

In case you don't want to wait, I would say that Urban Decay's powder brush is a close second to Alima's. It's not quite as luxurious, but it's still very soft and it holds up well too--- I've had mine for ages and it has never shed. Also, I recently discovered these brushes:
http://www.colorbrushes.com/index.php?op=category&cat=KABUKI

I haven't ordered one yet, but they are so cute and they look really soft too, so I will probably get one when I can decide which color I want!^-^

5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for repling so quickly.

m.april -I have read all the reviews raving about the alima brushes.I hadn't realsied they were synthetic so maybe i should try them.thanks.

majorb- i am allergic to cats so i suppose i could be allergic to animal hair.

flitcraft- I was going to try the loose next but hadn't considered changing the brush as well. Sounds like it might be worth it.

I have had just the base on today for a few hours. It still feels tingly and warm to touch.( have just been out side walking the dog and it's cold so I'm not warm just my face)
jlcov1
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Ooh just seen manslayerliz reply,
Can't believe how quickly you all reply. Thanks so much.
I hadn't seriuosly thought it could be the handi as everyone raves about it on here( thats why i bought it before i read the alima25 reviews) but I'm beginning to think it might bethe brush.It does feel quite firm but have nothing to compare it too as my other powder brush was ancient.
I will also look for the urban decay( never heard of them quite a novice though)
I was also thinking of trying different make up. Maybe lumiere( although they haven't replied to my email yet) or alima
Do alima ship to uk does anyone know?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
jlcov1 - Yes, I'm allergic to cats too. I also seem to be allergic to other types of animal hair. I really wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the culprit for you.

Mind you, I still use the blummin' brush, and I still had a cat. Laughing
jlcov1
5% products discount

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
majorb
I'm not sure which other animal hair i'm allergic to, I'm ok with dog hair.
I think I am going to order the alima brush and some samples of their powder.
I'm still unsure of the jane iredale powder, would like to try the loose but not prepared to spend another £38. Have already bought the liguid and pressed in the wrong colour. Shock
I still can't believe the handi maybe the culprit.I'm not going to use it for a while.
I think you have dry skin majorb if I remembered correctly. I've read so many posts my mind is a muddle!!!
Im not sure whether to try alima or lumiere.
what would you suggest for dry skin?

Are you not constantly sneezing with your cat?
Bet it's worth it though for the unconditional love!!
lorisu
5% products discount

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jackie. Just to throw in another idea - it could be the pressed powder that you're reacting to.

I'm pretty sure that JI has bismuth oxychloride in it which a lot of people (including myself) seem to have a reaction to. Fortunately there are heaps of other brands that don't have this ingredient (and are a lot cheaper too!)
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:48 am      Reply with quote
jlcov1 wrote:
majorb
I'm not sure which other animal hair i'm allergic to, I'm ok with dog hair.
I think I am going to order the alima brush and some samples of their powder.
I'm still unsure of the jane iredale powder, would like to try the loose but not prepared to spend another £38. Have already bought the liguid and pressed in the wrong colour. Shock
I still can't believe the handi maybe the culprit.I'm not going to use it for a while.
I think you have dry skin majorb if I remembered correctly. I've read so many posts my mind is a muddle!!!
Im not sure whether to try alima or lumiere.
what would you suggest for dry skin?

Are you not constantly sneezing with your cat?
Bet it's worth it though for the unconditional love!!

Is there a salon which stocks JI products near you? That way, you could try before you buy. It definitely is too expensive to make the wrong decision, if you can possibly help it.

And yes, well remembered, I do indeed have dry skin. I am now well and truly converted to the fabulous SK II Air Touch Spray Foundation. Perfect, perfect, perfect. Evens out your skintone and you can't even tell you're wearing anything - even seriously close up. Before that, I did give up on MMU (showed up my pores too much close up, even though it did look really good from afar) and had switched to Givenchy's Subli'mine Liquid Foundation. Chanel's Vitalumière's another good one for dry skin.

With regard to MMU, I couldn't get along with Bare Escentuals, but have only ever tried that and the JI.

I do hope you can find something to suit you. It's a bit of a struggle, but well worth the effort.

As for my little cat, she died in September, but the first few months with her were a nightmare with sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose and skin hives. But you can often, as I did, develop some resistance to it. I still had to be careful about washing my hands after stroking her and before touching my face and eyes. She was absolutely worth ever itch, sneeze and drip, though! Smile
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I've been using JI PurePressed base with the Handi. I'm happy with how they are working for me, and I have no soreness or irritation. I've found that a light touch and a light coating actually works better. There is no need to 'rub it in' with the Handi, and I had to fight the urge to use too much or press too hard when I started.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Lorisu
I think you are right about the jane iredale. I did a test today, i applied the powder with a cosmetic sponge and almost straight away my skin felt sore and tight. No more JI for me!!

The next test is to wash the handi then apply an old clinique finishing powder which I know I'm fine with to see if it's the handi as well.

Majorb
There is a salon near me,the beauty therapist I've been going to for years. I orderd them after she did my make up the previous year, i'd forgotten i had a tan so it was to dark. Going to give up on JI- not for me

Sorry about the loss of your cat, I feel for you.

Jeannie I did think I might be pressing too hard so tried to be more gentle!! Am going to try it without the Ji and see what happens then.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. The search goes on!
lorisu
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
jlcov1 wrote:
Lorisu
I think you are right about the jane iredale. I did a test today, i applied the powder with a cosmetic sponge and almost straight away my skin felt sore and tight. No more JI for me!!

The next test is to wash the handi then apply an old clinique finishing powder which I know I'm fine with to see if it's the handi as well.
you.

Good to hear that you are narrowing down the culprit.

I've never tried Jane Iredale but when I used BE my face used to get all hot and itchy so I tend to avoid anything with bismuth now. I wonder if it is the powder you are allergic to whether they would give you a refund if you returned it?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
jlcov1 wrote:
Lorisu

Majorb
There is a salon near me,the beauty therapist I've been going to for years. I orderd them after she did my make up the previous year, i'd forgotten i had a tan so it was to dark. Going to give up on JI- not for me

Sorry about the loss of your cat, I feel for you.

Jeannie I did think I might be pressing too hard so tried to be more gentle!! Am going to try it without the Ji and see what happens then.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. The search goes on!
]

Sounds as Lorisu is probably right about the bismuth. Hope you find another brand to suit you without it.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |