Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I gave my puppy her 2nd DHPP+C shot myself !
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I learned from my neighbor that you could buy the 6-in-1 vaccine and give your pup a shot yourself, and I've seen the vet do it enough to know how to do it. So I decided to do this for my lab pups and dogs (for booster shot). It was easy because they got lots of loose skin around their neck, so I just pulled the skin and poked through there. They didn't even notice what happened. With a 2-lb Maltese with very little and very thin skin, it was much tougher but I did it. Woohoo!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Congrats!

The first time I had to give one my "babies" a shot I cringed. With Heidi needing insulin twice a day, I've become an "old hand" at shot-giving.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Congrats!

The first time I had to give one my "babies" a shot I cringed. With Heidi needing insulin twice a day, I've become an "old hand" at shot-giving.

Thank you! I still am proud of my little accomplishment, hehe, because of how little Coconut is. She did cry and tried to get away but my son was a great assistant. He held her down, and I continued. My hand was not shaking. Thank god for that. I must say I hate the feeling of a needle poking through skin though. I'm glad I only have one more shot to do in 3 weeks.

Is Heidi a big girl? I was wondering if you rub alcohol on her skin before you give her a shot. I did that with Coconut, and washed my hands thoroughly before I touched the needles and vaccines.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Congrats! First time is always the hardest. You'll be a pro before long.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I used to. But my vet said it wasn't really necessary to do that at home.

Heidi is a 9-year old white miniature poodle. She was a "throw-away" when she was 4 because of seizures. She has lost the sight in her left eye from cataracts due to diabetes and Cushings. Now, her right eye is going, too. Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
Congrats! First time is always the hardest. You'll be a pro before long.

Thank you! It definitely is the hardest with the first time. At least now I know I can do it. Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I used to. But my vet said it wasn't really necessary to do that at home.

Heidi is a 9-year old white miniature poodle. She was a "throw-away" when she was 4 because of seizures. She has lost the sight in her left eye from cataracts due to diabetes and Cushings. Now, her right eye is going, too. Crying or Very sad

Awww...so sorry to hear that about Heidi. It's great that you're taking great care of her though. She's one lucky pup. Angel
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I love dogs and love the stories about people that take care of their pets. It always warms my heart to hear these stories. Thanks for sharing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Congrats!

Me too. Been giving my 22lb FRODO 2 shots a day, going on 4 years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I had no problem at all when I was giving a shot to a 100-lb labrador with lots of loose and thick skin. It was much more difficult with a tiny toy-size 2-lb Maltese with not much skin for me to pull and it's not even thick, so I felt like the needle would go in one way and out the other. Luckily all the vaccine went in. She didn't complain much at all either.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Generally injections in the "ruff" of the neck are easier 'cept with the teensy ones. Venus is a toy poodle and her skin is tighter and thinner there, too.

Heidi's insulin has to go in her side. THAT's where my "cringe-factor" came in even though she only slightly flinches. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Generally injections in the "ruff" of the neck are easier 'cept with the teensy ones. Venus is a toy poodle and her skin is tighter and thinner there, too.

Heidi's insulin has to go in her side. THAT's where my "cringe-factor" came in even though she only slightly flinches. Laughing

I don't envy you at all having to do that twice a day. Yikes! I don't know if I would ever get used to it. I am glad I only have one more to do. The Bordatella shot I bought for Coconut is not an injection, but rather a nasal application (which I found quite interesting). I'm sure Coconut would hate it. I know I'd hate a nasal vaccine for myself.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:21 am      Reply with quote
A couple of our dogs were recently re-vaccinated by our vet (we need their vaccinations to be certified by a vet to prove currency of vaccination), the kennel cough (Bordatella) vaccination is really quick and they don't react to it whatsoever.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Ari wrote
Quote:
Heidi's insulin has to go in her side. THAT's where my "cringe-factor" came in even though she only slightly flinches.

I would be "double-cringing"!!! I'm sure Heidi has a wonderful life with you despite her health issues. I've had old ponies develop Cushings but haven't experienced this in our older dogs.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Gasp, I don't think I could do that! I once took my bunny to the vet and he went to inject him and the needle went straight through the scruff of his neck he was holding and all the injection came out the other side about 2mm away from my hand! And this was a trained professional! It put me off for life!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Gasp, I don't think I could do that! I once took my bunny to the vet and he went to inject him and the needle went straight through the scruff of his neck he was holding and all the injection came out the other side about 2mm away from my hand! And this was a trained professional! It put me off for life!

This makes me feel SOOO much better b/c when I had another regular size Maltese, I gave him a shot myself, too, and after I was done, his neck was wet. I first didn't know why but my niece said probably the needle came out the other side of his neck and the wetness I felt was the vaccine. So I gave him another shot in his leg muscle instead, and he HATED it.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:

Laughing Laughing I was teaching DH to give H her shots and the first time he did it the same thing happened.

In fact the very first time I read the title to this thread, I thought bkkgirl wrote "I gave my puppy her 2nd DHPP+C and shot myself !"

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
sarahb wrote:

Laughing Laughing I was teaching DH to give H her shots and the first time he did it the same thing happened.

In fact the very first time I read the title to this thread, I thought bkkgirl wrote "I gave my puppy her 2nd DHPP+C and shot myself !"

Laughing Ari, that's so funny. OMG, I would be such a nitwit if I did that and didn't realize it. Because of my experience giving Snowball a shot and the vaccine came out the other side of his neck, I was a bit apprehensive about giving Coconut a shot. But to take her to the even low cost Vet clinic at Petco would cost $50. Well, I am rather low on budget since I never planned on buying her to begin with and still have to pay my cc bill for her, I decided to try giving her a shot myself again. I was so happy that this time I did it correctly.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
You know, hon, so many things can go wrong with our "babies' " health and we can feel so very helpless about it sometimes. They can't tell us where it hurts or why they aren't eating or are lethargic, etc. When we can do something for them ourselves it's such a great sense of accomplishment, ya know?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
One time after giving Frodo his insulin I placed the orange cap back on the needle only it went in crooked so the needle came out of the side of the orange cap and into my finger. Just thinking about it right now gives me the heebie geebies. That was about a year ago and I haven't done it since.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
You know, hon, so many things can go wrong with our "babies' " health and we can feel so very helpless about it sometimes. They can't tell us where it hurts or why they aren't eating or are lethargic, etc. When we can do something for them ourselves it's such a great sense of accomplishment, ya know?

Oh my gosh! You understand exactly how I feel!!! Yes, I really did feel so accomplished. I often don't trust doctors anyway that they really care to diagnose me correctly. They just don't care if I live or die (or that's how some project their attitudes to me by keeping me waiting for an hour and coming in for a minute and barely answered my question, and left before I could blink). And vets....well, I just don't know if they really know their stuff. My dog can't tell me if she is happy with the way she was treated. So yes, anything I can do for her myself, I'm so glad to do it.

Frodo, ouchie! That must have hurt!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

Oh my gosh! You understand exactly how I feel!!! Yes, I really did feel so accomplished. I often don't trust doctors anyway that they really care to diagnose me correctly. They just don't care if I live or die (or that's how some project their attitudes to me by keeping me waiting for an hour and coming in for a minute and barely answered my question, and left before I could blink). And vets....well, I just don't know if they really know their stuff. My dog can't tell me if she is happy with the way she was treated. So yes, anything I can do for her myself, I'm so glad to do it.

Yeah, I guess that's why it's called "the practice of medicine". Laughing

I've never had a doctor like you describe. Maybe several wanted to behave that way but I'm a very different sort of patient. To explain...several years ago I suddenly got a large, very painful knot on my heel and my MD wasn't sure what it was and referred me to a podiatrist. Okay, so I go in and the doc says, "So what's the problem?" and I say, "I have Hagland's Deformity on my left heel here." He says, "I do the diagnosing." I say, "Sure, let's take that x-ray." He comes back in after the x-ray, looks at me funny and says, "You have Hagland's Deformity." I say, "Yeah, I know. Now YOU tell me what we have to do to fix it." rofl

As far as vets go, I've always been very lucky. But, I do a lot of research for my babies, too. And I'm very lucky that my vet (who I and my babies adore) asked me to set up and run his new nonprofit for him and I have access to him 24 hours 7 days a week if I need him. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:

Yeah, I guess that's why it's called "the practice of medicine". Laughing

I've never had a doctor like you describe. Maybe several wanted to behave that way but I'm a very different sort of patient. To explain...several years ago I suddenly got a large, very painful knot on my heel and my MD wasn't sure what it was and referred me to a podiatrist. Okay, so I go in and the doc says, "So what's the problem?" and I say, "I have Hagland's Deformity on my left heel here." He says, "I do the diagnosing." I say, "Sure, let's take that x-ray." He comes back in after the x-ray, looks at me funny and says, "You have Hagland's Deformity." I say, "Yeah, I know. Now YOU tell me what we have to do to fix it." rofl

As far as vets go, I've always been very lucky. But, I do a lot of research for my babies, too. And I'm very lucky that my vet (who I and my babies adore) asked me to set up and run his new nonprofit for him and I have access to him 24 hours 7 days a week if I need him.
Very Happy

You one lucky gal! Smile
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yep. I consider myself blessed in that regard.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I scared to do so because I scared to be shot Razz Razz .

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |