Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
DO NOT feed your cat or dog WET FOOD tonight!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
...until you read this!

From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

Store brands sold at Wal-Mart and Safeway tied to kidney failure, deaths

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

“At this juncture, we’re not 100 percent sure what’s happened,” said Paul Henderson, the company’s president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company’s “cuts and gravy” style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6. The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site —www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies. Its three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

“To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,” Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Paris, I copied your post and pasted it on another messageboard with lots of Pet Owners. I hope you don't mind.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
NO not at all. I have wet food that I was just about to give my dear Seamus Murphy tonight.

I don't know if it's one of the brand names (stupid company won't post them until tomorrow) but it's distributed from that same town in NJ that is listed as being a source of production for the tainted food.

Better to be safe than sorry...I'm waiting until they post the brand names and batch numbers until he gets any wet food. I also bought it at PetSmart. Animals are DYING from this. Crying or Very sad
I can't even get to the Menu Foods homepage.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
EEEPs!! I think that the menufoods website can't handle all the traffic it is probably experiencing. How can they do that to us?! We buy the packets of Nutro wet food for out cats from PetsMart. There are going to be some angry cats in the morning.

Thanks so much for posting that ParisTrioka.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Yet another testimonial in support of my decision to only feed my babies Old Mother Hubbard's Wellness brand pet food. My girls-Heidi, Venus and Bridget adore this brand and their health (especially Venus' skin allergies) has improved so much since they started eating Wellness. It can be found in Health Food Stores and some select Pet Supply Stores.

From their website:

WHAT GOES IN
Highly Digestible, Beneficial, Human-Grade Ingredients

Quality Protein Sources for Strong Muscles

Wholesome Grains for Healthy Fiber and Energy

Full Rainbow of Fruits & Vegetables for Antioxidant Protection

Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids for Skin & Coat Health

Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Joint Health

Taurine for Heart Health

WHAT STAYS OUT
Inferior Quality, Nutritionless or Potentially Allergenic Ingredients

No Meat By-Products

No Rendered Animal Fats

No White Rice

No Corn

No Dairy or Egg

No Soy

No Artificial Preservatives

No Wheat

No Added Sugar

No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Dyes

www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Good post, Paris!

We feed our kitty raw food and he absolutely loves it. He's been eating this for about 2 or 3 years now, and he has been very healthy ever since. We used to make it from scratch, but found that we can buy this brand: http://www.naturesvariety.com/ from a local pet store and pay about the same amount of $$ as when we made it ourselves. It's not as cheap as regular dry/wet cat food, but he's one spunky kitty now!

Just thought I'd spread the word if y'all are looking for an alternative. Smile
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think I am safe. All my cans say processed in Missouri. Although I will wait and look at the list tomorrow before my 3 cats get any.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
They've updated it a bit...

Quote:
Proctor and Gamble announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

I don't think this is all of the brands...just the ones that Menu Foods supplies to P&G since:

Quote:
The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Shock

And to top that, the website MSNBC provided doesn't work anymore Confused. Definitely alerted my parents to not feed our dog any wet canned food tomorrow, or until we know the exact cause/ and if we need to throw away any food! If anyone gets any news, please please please make sure to post!

Thanks for the info, ParisTroika, as this is the first place I'm hearing this from.

ETA: OK, so now that site loads up in 10 minutes, and all it states is:
" Product Information
(Available after 6:00 a.m. Saturday March 17, 2007)"...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:01 am      Reply with quote
I feed my girls Nutro brand and am trying to stick with the Complete Care Indoor Cat formula wet foods (cans and packets)as well as the dry, though I do have some cans and packets of the Max Cat Gourmet variety. So far, it looks like they are safe, but they are NOT getting any wet food until I know for sure!

I've always fed my girls good quality, rather pricey pet food that can only be purchased at pet stores - even while I was at university and had no $! Now that I've started a much better paying job, I'm going to try some of the lesser known, even higher quality brands such as the one Ari wrote about. Every once in a while a story comes out about tainted pet food and I'm just not willing to risk my cats' health. If anything happened to them, I don't know what I would do. They are my !!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:36 am      Reply with quote
OK, so I've cross referenced ALL of the cans of the wet dog food we had, and none of it was recalled. I'm happy that it went this way. Now, I'm going back to sleep Wink. Let us know how your 'cross referencing event' went!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:49 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
I feed my girls Nutro brand and am trying to stick with the Complete Care Indoor Cat formula wet foods (cans and packets)as well as the dry, though I do have some cans and packets of the Max Cat Gourmet variety. So far, it looks like they are safe, but they are NOT getting any wet food until I know for sure!

I've always fed my girls good quality, rather pricey pet food that can only be purchased at pet stores - even while I was at university and had no $! Now that I've started a much better paying job, I'm going to try some of the lesser known, even higher quality brands such as the one Ari wrote about. Every once in a while a story comes out about tainted pet food and I'm just not willing to risk my cats' health. If anything happened to them, I don't know what I would do. They are my !!

That is what we feed our cats too (Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care packets) and they're on the list Sad The full list of cat and dog products are below:
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Iams and Eukanuba products are still being recalled too but I'm not sure why they aren't on that list.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
My dogs have never had "dog food" in their lives.

I raise JRT's ... and almost from the "get go" I have fed raw meat, sometimes with raw grated veggies to my dogs ... raw bones. I also add a sea weed supplement called Source Plus for dogs. My research told me that raw feeding was better for them ... and when I was researching pet foods I was horrified at what constituted "suitable" foods for animals.

For information on raw food feeding, google BARF [which stands for Bones and Raw Food].

However, while 80% of all my puppies continued to get raw food, some people just couldn't get their heads around it ... and from my research, one of the best processed foods was Nutro All Natural ... because it doesn't contain a lot of the known problem ingredients. It has no corn or wheat ... and it's less expensive than some of the other so-called "premium" foods. Very Happy I have also heard wonderful things about Mother Hubbard's food.

The only treats my dogs like are Mother Hubbard's ... so I figure that it's probably a better brand of dog food as well.

Just my two cents ... Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
So glad to see the cat food I feed Frodo, Bailey and Sam is not on the list. If it was I would be dumping about 100 cans as I just stocked up cause it was on sale.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ParisTroika for posting this informative threads Smile
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sadly, this thread sounds too familiar because my friend posted in her livejournal that her cat just died of kidney failure- just as they released this notice. She says they may start a lawsuit...

I'm horrified at this and it makes me determined to feed my future pets raw and natural diets from now on. I never buy pet food from our Walmart, so my Loki and Artemis are safe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
MermaidGirl wrote:
I feed my girls Nutro brand and am trying to stick with the Complete Care Indoor Cat formula wet foods (cans and packets)as well as the dry, though I do have some cans and packets of the Max Cat Gourmet variety.

That is what we feed our cats too (Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care packets) and they're on the list Sad The full list of cat and dog products are below:
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Iams and Eukanuba products are still being recalled too but I'm not sure why they aren't on that list.

Sundew, I checked all my pouches and none were on the list. None of the canned food I have was listed. Both cats have already been fed from this particlar "stash" of cat food I have - cans and pouches - and had no problems at all. I will let them finish this stash of Nutro, but I am going to find either the OMH brand or the Nature's Variety and start easing them on to one of those brands. Every time a tainted pet food story comes out, I panic and I'm not willing to go through that again. I cannot imagine how the people who have lost their pets feel right now!

What makes me curious is how this particular company manufactures so many well-known varieties of pet food. Makes me wonder if its all the same stuff/ingredients/recipes, but just labeled differently. I'd be furious if I found out I've paid pretty much top dollar for my cat food, only to have it be the same quality as Save-A-Lot's house brand of food!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
My little bumps eat Innova EVO dry and Wellness canned - costs a lot more but I mail order it to save myself the drive time/gas because the only store near me that carries it is 1/2 hour away and quite expensive. Thank goodness for mail order and the place I found is reasonably-priced including delivery!
www.PhydeauxPets.com

Great notice, Paris!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:

What makes me curious is how this particular company manufactures so many well-known varieties of pet food. Makes me wonder if its all the same stuff/ingredients/recipes, but just labeled differently. I'd be furious if I found out I've paid pretty much top dollar for my cat food, only to have it be the same quality as Save-A-Lot's house brand of food!

My thoughts exactly! We returned our bad Nutro pouches and my husband asked if he should buy more of the Nutro dry food and I told him to forget it. We got them a small box of Friskies until
we can locate some OMH/Wellness. I figured it's like letting your kid eat junk cereal once in a blue moon.
We tried Newman's Own pet food a couple years ago and the cats wouldn't touch it. Going to have to look into Innova too, thanks Scalawaggirl!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
I like the BARF diet too, and I used to only feed that to my cat and dogs. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to make their food right now. (I always had to grind it because my oldest dog can't manage the whole bones.)

Since I've been using the commercial brands, I've been feeding my cat the Innova EVO. He likes it a lot. My dogs are eating either the Wellness 95% or Wysong Au Jus (Which is also suitable for a cat). It is more expensive than some of the other brands, but the money I save in vet bills for my older dog more than makes up for the extra expense.

One thing that I really do miss about the BARF for my cat is that he's very affectionate when I'm feeding him raw. I guess he can smell me in his food. He's not so very affectionate otherwise. Crying or Very sad I'm missing my snuggles.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
I like the BARF diet too, ...

I'm sorry, Tosca, but that made me laugh out loud!

Tosca wrote:
One thing that I really do miss about the BARF for my cat is that he's very affectionate when I'm feeding him raw. I guess he can smell me in his food. He's not so very affectionate otherwise. Crying or Very sad I'm missing my snuggles.

Maybe you should try the Nature's Variety that Shawna posted about? They make a dry food, as well as canned and fresh frozen raw food. You just thaw a portion of the raw and feed it to your critter. I'm going to look at that brand as well as the OMH and Innova, since Scally chimed in about that brand. If Scally likes it, it must be good.

One thing I must say: When I die, I want to come back reincarnated as one of Scally's pets. I know we all take good care of our critters, but I can say with some confidence that hers live in total luxury. The cats have a solarium, and did you see the beautiful environment the fish get to live in? (I am most envious of the fish!) Wow! Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Maybe you should try the Nature's Variety that Shawna posted about? They make a dry food, as well as canned and fresh frozen raw food. You just thaw a portion of the raw and feed it to your critter. I'm going to look at that brand as well as the OMH and Innova, since Scally chimed in about that brand. If Scally likes it, it must be good.

One thing I must say: When I die, I want to come back reincarnated as one of Scally's pets. I know we all take good care of our critters, but I can say with some confidence that hers live in total luxury. The cats have a solarium, and did you see the beautiful environment the fish get to live in? (I am most envious of the fish!) Wow! Very Happy

You're killing me here. Smile I'm going to check into the Nature's Variety as, well variety, to my other two choices. I heard about the OMH and Innova from my holistically-minded vet and they are top-notch choices.

I was watching Rémy today and thought the same thing, MermaidGirl, he is a spoiled little fur man. Smile Hey, I had a major freak out yesterday when I got home from a business trip and think my neighbors were partially responsible/up to "no good". I got home at 2pm and the front door to the main, public foyer was wide open - this is highly unusual because a) it was cold out and b) it's always closed/locked by either me or my downstairs neighbors (only ones who have keys). Well, then I realized that my FRONT door was open!!!!! I almost totally lost it and the first thing I thought was THE CATS - not, oh shite, I've probably had a break-in (what a commentary on my spoiled children). Anyway, I darted in yelling for them and they were sleeping in their favorite spot on top of the cat tree next to the afore-mentioned solarium. Christ, my heart was pounding.

So, what I think happened is this...the lady who lives downstairs recently complained in a letter about my cats playing and that it disturbs her and boyfriend. She also let me know that she has trained her cats to respect boundaries and blah, blah, blah in order to not annoy her downstairs neighbor. She said that her boyfriend has diabetes and goes to school so needs a place of solace when he returns home. Now, the problem with all of this is that these two regularly play their music and movies (they have surround sound) at blaring levels, have 2am screaming matches (as well as other hours, naturally), let their large grey, male out into the public foyer area where he (of course) comes up to my door to investigate Rémy and also hisses at me whenever he's out there...the list goes on and on. So, I wrote her a letter back basically telling her to stuff it and that while I'd try to limit the playing, I would not lock my kitties up and that given the very discourteous nature of the list above AND my lack of complaints in the past, would appreciate the same courtesy I've shown them in LEARNING TO GET ALONG WITH PEOPLE WHO LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO/ON TOP OF/UNDER YOU.

Point being is that I think this spawn of Satan saw an opportunity to allow my cats to escape when my door blew open (I am assuming I did not close it firmly and a gust of wind blew it open) and opened/left the front door wide open in the hopes they would leave my apartment. I think it must've just happened before I got home (thank God) or who knows what might have happened. I am a firm believer in Karma and know that she is a miserable person who will reap what she sows but it sure doesn't change the fact that I'd like to sock her in the kisser just once. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Scally! I would've thought the same thing ... who cares if everything I own has been stolen ... where are MY GIRLS?! Thank God my cats won't go outside, or if they do step out onto the porch, they practically run right back inside. I've tried to make them afraid of the outdoors and I think its worked.

Your neighbors sound exactly like the ones I had right before I moved to LA. Obnoxious! And of course, the only thing that matters is that THEIR needs be met, who cares about anyone else, right?! It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did try to see to it that your kitties got out. Who on earth complains about cats playing anyhow? How much noise could they possibly make? Talk about petty.

I sure hope you don't have any future problems with them. Maybe a nice talk face-to-face could help ease some tension? Or I could send my Uncle Frankie and my Uncle Guido over to have "a little conversation" with them. That ALWAYS works! Razz
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I feed Nature's Variety also. It is a great food and they do have wet and dry varieties. That is so very scary about the recalled pet food. I printed this out to give to everyone I know who has pets! Thanks so much for posting the info, Paris.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Uhh, scalawaggirl, are you sure the key to the front door doesn't also "happen" to open your door? Your front door might not have been closed firmly but, being the untrusting little animal I am, I'd just double-check the key situation.

Ari

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |