Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone make their own MMU?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I continue to be frustrated by the colours provided by MMU companies. I'm now finding the closest approximation I can get is by mixing the palest of two from neutral and warm in the Lilylolo range, but it's still not perfection.

Does anyone make their own from scratch?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,

I had thought, at one time, of making my own ... but once I researched all that's involved, I decided not to try it! Laughing

It's the colour blending that stumped me. Colour blending is an art unto itself ... and I wasn't sure that I wouldn't waste more than I produced! Laughing

Yes it's difficult to ascertain exact product colour on a computer screen ... because not only does a photograph alter the colours somewhat ... but each monitor can show those photographs differently.

There are lots of small MMU companies who are more than willing to customize for you ... if you can adequately describe your skin tone. Even if you can't, they have probably done enough mixing to be able to ask you the right questions.

Pure Luxe was good for that.

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary. Sounds like the trouble and money wouldn't be worth the results. I wonder if Lilylolo could do me a mix? They're very cheap.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,

If Lilylolo is a small MMU company, chances are they will be willing to work with you! At least I would hope they would ... it would be a great customer service for them ... don't you think?

It never hurts to enquire! Very Happy

Good luck!

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have been sooooo tempted to try one of [url=http://www.monave.com/making-cosmetics/[/url]. (click on making cosmetics.) Their supposed to teach you how to make your own mineral cosmetics. The foundation kit is only $30 - so I probably will eventually give it a go.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:51 am      Reply with quote
What fun Patchouli Smile thanks! I'm really tempted too even, though it would probably be a total waste of money, it would be so interesting to try it and I might learn a lot in the process.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,
I think that Lilylolo would customise their products for you.

Have you tried UGloGirl? This one is my favourite out of Alima and Lumiere. I haven't tried Lilylolo though.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:22 am      Reply with quote
Too late Emma Laughing Patchouli's DIY pack is on it's way. Too much fun.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Laughing
It sounds intriguing. You'll have to post your results.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:45 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

Did you really order one? Because if you did, I am going to order too. I can't let you have all the fun! (Runs off, clutching order for DIY kit, yelling "my toy, my toy"!)
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Patchouli - I'll remember you fondly in my review Wink
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Pachouli wrote:
Molly wrote:

Did you really order one? Because if you did, I am going to order too. I can't let you have all the fun! (Runs off, clutching order for DIY kit, yelling "my toy, my toy"!)

can't wait to hear both of your reviews!
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,
I make my own mineral makeup from scratch. I tried making my own because I could never find a color that matched my skin exactly (I ordered samples from 5 or 6 different companies) and I also wanted a really high SPF. It took me 3 tries to get the color and the look (so it didn't look like a mask) that I wanted but it was worth it. The raw ingredients cost me about $40 and I have enough to make my MMU for 5 years at least. The blending is tedious - takes an hour or two - but the finished product looks as good as any of the MMU that I have tried in the past. I bought all of the ingredients from Somerset Cosmetic Company.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Doodles,

What do you use to blend the MMU?

You make it sound almost easy! Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

The ingredients I used were:
Micronized Titanium Dioxide
Micronized Zinc Oxide
Zinc Oxide
Mica Spheres
Mica
Pigment Blend

Basically what I did was tape some parchment paper to my kitchen counter and wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol (to get it as clean as possible). Then I measured out my ingredients and blended. I make small batches - about 10 ml's total - so if it doesn't turn out right I haven't wasted to much. To do the blending I used a nylon spreader/spatula - it has a rounded end and is stiff but still kind of bends - if that makes any sense. The pigment blend is pretty much pure color and it takes a lot of blending to get it incorporated into the other ingredients. The other ingredients also have very small lumps that have to be squished. I use the edge of the spatula to scrape the ingredients into a pile and then I use the flat side to basically squish the pile. I work from the outside bottom of the pile and slowly work my way through it. When I'm done I scrape it all into a pile and start over. I do this until I can no longer see any pigment streaks or white lumps from the other ingredients. It take quite a while to do this but I think the results are worth it. You can see the spatula I used at Lotioncrafter.com under equipment. Sorry for being so long winded. Hope this helps.

Cathryn
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi doodles,

Can I assume that the order of your ingredients indicates that you have listed them according to the amount you used? Like ... was there more titanium dioxide in the mix than the other ingredients?

Also ... why did you use two different types of Zinc Oxide?

I'm just wondering if your mix is ideal for oily skin ... or were you going for maximum sunscreen protection?

Now you've got me thinking! Laughing Shock Laughing

TIA

Mary

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Please keep any customer service or order information off the public forum. TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Making your own MMU? This is so exciting!

Doodles, please tell me more. How do you know which pigments to add and how much? I never seem to find the right colour for my skin. Right now I am mixing 2-3 samples of Lumiere to get something 'close enough' for me. I would love to have something that is a perfect match.

I can't wait to hear the reviews for the Monave kits. Smile
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Yay! Thanks you guys - you've reminded me - I bought one of the MMU kits last summer to play with - but got side tracked and put off by the fact that you are advised to use a special mini grinder - which I didn't have - so decided to get one but never got round to it! So I put the kit away for later....then promptly forgot all about it!! Embarassed Laughing

Will dig it out and have a go and see what results I can get. (I actually have a good match with Aromaleigh's 00 Alabaster so I'm going to swatch that onto some white paper and play with the mix to see if I can match the AL (and try to remember the quantities so I can reproduce it !)

(By the way - I also got their lipgloss kit too - just cos it looked fun!!!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
My kit's arrived - but I don't have a grinder nor anything to measure with Sad

It's like having Patchouli's toy but without the batteries Exclamation
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Aww Molly that's exactly what stumped me when my kit arrived last year Sad

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |