Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

A follow-up on the Stella McCartney at Target
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Since something happened in the first post that mentioned this line and the whole thing vanished, I thought I would do a follow-up for those of us following the designers at Target story with a couple of articles about the aftermath and in backlash at the chaos surrounding the release of Stella last Monday. I think it is such a great case study of who really benefits..All-round success for Target, but whilst Ms. Mac might have had an increased awareness in her brand, all these discount lines just might come back to bite her on the butt! Enjoy!

=================================
Sick of Stella overload
March 18, 2007

The only word to describe the Stella McCartney hysteria at Target stores around the country on Monday morning is "embarrassing". Actually, make that two words: "seriously embarrassing".

When I opened the papers on Tuesday and saw photographs of women in conniptions over mass-market clothes at a discount department store, I cringed.
The photos gave me a instant dose of nausea far worse than the sinking feeling I had the night before watching news footage of thousands of women running for the racks, screaming like banshees and fighting like ice-charged addicts for garments in silk, taffeta and man-made fabrics. Ugh!

One newspaper report detailed how women actually fought over the clothes, wrestling one another in tug-o-wars for a little piece of Stella.
Some resorted to physical force in an effort to get their manicured mitts on a pair of skinny jeans or a tent top.
Some sank to lows usually associated with Naomi Campbell - slapping matches. Talk about humiliating. Talk about letting down the sisterhood.
And how about this: The Daily Telegraph reported that mothers abandoned babies in prams to fight for a frock. Crying children had to be pulled out of the frenzy for fear they'd be crushed.

Can women really be that desperate, that stupid, that shallow - all for a London designer turning out cheap apparelmade in China?
One solicitor took the morning off work so she could spend $1000 to be Stellarised. Another woman boasted she had spent $3000 for a slice of celebrity fashion.
I just don't get it. The clothes were nice, but not nice enough to debase yourself over.
We're not talking haute couture here; we're not talking about hand-made, bespoke outfits that will stand the test of time like a Chanel suit or Givenchy gown worthy of a red-carpet stroll to the Oscars.

McCartney, an accomplished high-end designer, was enticed to do a one-off, 42-item range for Target for a cool million bucks after a similar deal with a discount chain in Britain was a marketing success. The hype helped sell her line here.
Even television presenters Lisa Wilkinson and Jennifer Hansen were seen buying up bargains at one of the 100 Target stores that stock Stella.
Kate Ceberano, currently dancing up a storm on a television reality show, was also in on the action.

So intense was the desire for Stella that the Bondi Junction store widened its aisles to cope with an expected crush and sold out within 10 minutes of opening its doors on Monday.
South of the border in Melbourne, the Chadstone store was a sell-out in seven minutes.
More than 100 items in the range were on sale on eBay within 24 hours.
One dress that retailed at $199.99 (not exactly discount-store pricing, if you ask me) was offered on the online auction site for $499. You know we've lost the plot when fashion gets scalped.

The women who Stella-ed up were conned by the cult of celebrity.
Let's face it, Stella McCartney is a celebrity first and foremost. She didn't get where she is in the designer ranks for sheer talent alone. She got the proverbial leg-up because of her famous father, Paul.
When Stella held a show to present her new ranges, her devoted father and late mother, Linda, were in the front row ensuring the cameras were in attendance.
Stella's silver-spoon celebrity status also helped get her an A-list of celebrity mates, many of whom were in her very first fashion parade after she graduated from design school.
Celebrity begets celebrity, and celebrities roam in a pack. They wear her gear - a handy fact that gets massive media coverage, then filters down to the helpless fashion addicts who want to be like their favourite celebrity.

End result? They buy the discount Stella because they can't afford the designer Stella, and feel they're channelling a celebrity moment.
I actually liked a lot of the Stella McCartney range, but would I fight for fashion? No.
Would I queue for hours waiting for a discount store to open in a suburban shopping mall? Absolutely not. Would I leave a baby in a pusher to get my hands on a smock top? Are you nuts? I'd be ringing DOCS instead.

Target has no plans to re-stock Stella, which is a small mercy, really. At least we won't get to see women in a fashion-feeding frenzy debasing themselves at the shrine of celebrity. After all, what price fashion?

==========================================

Stores hit back after McCartney hysteria
March 18, 2007

IT was seen as a marketing triumph, but some fashion retailers are critical of Target's Stella McCartney promotion claiming it dilutes the designer's original brand.

Myer's fashion boss Bob Boutin told The Sunday Telegraph Target's marketing exercise was "well done", considering the Stella brand was not widely known.
"But we have to put it into perspective and as a 'special event' it worked well, but not remotely as an ongoing fashion line," Mr Boutin said.
"Would we do it? Probably not, but then we never say never."

Leading fashion retailer Robby Ingham said he didn't think it was necessary to produce cheaper Stella-style ranges and criticised the promotion.
"It's a sell-out because the designers are only doing it for the cash," Mr Ingham said.
"And, yes, I think the profile of the Stella McCartney brand is lessened. The input is minimal from the designer - rather, it is mass-produced merchandise."

Mr Boutin, who had already dropped Stella McCartney from Myer stores next season, said the Target deal diluted the appeal of the existing brand.
"After we looked at what Stella had done for adidas and H&M (the European fashion chain store), we have decided to let the label go next season," he said.
"Every season our international portfolio changes, so as we drop we add so who knows it may be back next when we buy for '08."

With prices ranging from $29.99 to $199, the Stella collection for Target caused checkout skirmishes, but not all fashion gurus thought it was good for existing high-end fashion labels.
Mr Ingham said the Target promotion was not a threat to other businesses because it was not Stella's "real" brand.
However, Anthony Whittle from the Belinda chain of designer fashion shops said the Target range increased interest in the label.
"Customers came into the store out of curiosity to see what we are selling and purchased from us while the range was selling in Target," Mr Whittle said.

==============================================

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
Yes i dont understand the hysteria over her clothes Confused
Now they're all on Vogueforums trying to sell/swap clothes, as alot are complaing they're too big Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I saw that too - I wondered why they didn't try them on in the first place.
Confused
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I know. Some were saying they tried them on but didnt realise till they got home that they really are too big!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

I've just been on the For Sale section to check out the prices. I can't believe that people would buy an item of clothing for around $150 and not see it doens't fit.
Shock
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |